Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

How to install Windows from USB- WinSetupFromUSB with GUI

• Please log in to reply
2116 replies to this topic

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
if I boot from the iso with vmware, setupcomplete.cmd works as expected and no error etc.

with usb I boot from plop.. and issue is begin when setupcomplete.cmd.. if I deleted all lines about %CDROM% variable setupcomplete.cmd passed successfully.
here is my script;

Posted Image

I'll check some logs now.
Champion

Posted Image

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
As I get it, setupcomplete.cmd is launched indeed, but it hangs the setup, right? I understood from your previous post that the script is not launched at all.

@ilko_t, I tried with this;

for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WINSETUP\_ekler set CDROM=%%i:
but again nothing changed. I think the key is your said about virtual disk that imdisk. the folder "_ekler" is in there but setupcomplete.cmd is in DVD

Did you copy _ekler folder to the USB disk, in \WINSETUP\_ekler?

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,014 posts

@jaclaz I gave a try but nothing changed. same as before it hangs on when setupcomplete.cmd and even PAUSE didn't work.

Well, no.
Maybe the batch is launched "hidden" (and then you have to change the way it is started) but a pause is a pause, if that batch is launched and if it's command windows is visible, it will stop at the PAUSE commands.

jaclaz

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
I didn't see any error in log file about hangs on.
Yes, my "_ekler" folder in "\WINSETUP\" .. I copied already.
here is my windows 7 setupcomplete.cmd.. as you see if I commented out lines with;

::IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows-KB890830-x64-V4.16.exe /Q

script works good but when use "start /wait %CDROM%" it hangs on... but wait when I write this I realize something that if I use "start /wait %CDROM%\WINSETUP\ekler\...."... I'll try it now..

@echo off
for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\sources\install.wim set CDROM=%%i:
echo Found CD-Rom as drive %CDROM%
::Begin hotfix install

::Malicious software removal tool
::echo Installing Malicious Software Removal Tool
::IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows-KB890830-x64-V4.16.exe /Q
::IF NOT EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows-KB890830-V4.16.exe /Q

::Defender Definitions
::echo Installing Windows Defender Definition updates
::IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\mpas-feX64.exe /Q
::IF NOT EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\mpas-fe.exe /Q

::KB2533552
::echo Installing KB2533552 updates
::IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows6.1-KB2533552-x64.msu /quiet /norestart
::IF NOT EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows6.1-KB2533552-x86.msu /quiet /norestart

::IE) desktop icon
::echo Installing KB2533552 updates
::IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 regedit.exe /s %~dp0ADD_64.reg
::IF NOT EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 regedit.exe /s %~dp0ADD_32.reg
regedit.exe /s %~dp0reg_w7.reg
%~dp0resetwmi.exe 

cd %~dp0
attrib -R -A -S -H *.*
del %~dp0reg_w7.reg
::del %~dp0ADD_64.reg
::del %~dp0ADD_32.reg
del %~dp0resetwmi.exe
SHUTDOWN /R /T 45
DEL /F /Q %0% >nul

Edited by ilko_t, 08 February 2013 - 04:20 AM.
Fixed codebox

Champion

Posted Image

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

Yes, my "_ekler" folder in "\WINSETUP\" .. I copied already.

Hey, fix the paths in your script, they are all messed up.
Where is _ekler folder indeed? Under root or under WINSETUP?

This would NOT work as already mentioned, \sources\install.wim cannot be found since ISO is not mounted:
for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\sources\install.wim set CDROM=%%i:

This MAY work if you copied _ekler folder inside WINSETUP folder:
for %%i in (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) do if exist %%i:\WINSETUP\_ekler set CDROM=%%i:

This is wrong if _ekler folder is within WINSETUP folder:
IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\_ekler\updates\Windows-KB890830-x64-V4.16.exe /Q

it should be
IF EXIST %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 start /wait %CDROM%\WINSETUP\_ekler\updates\Windows-KB890830-x64-V4.16.exe /Q

and so on.

Added: and please, easy with the fonts and colors, try to properly format your posts.

Install Windows from USB, boot Linux, multiboot and a lot more with WinSetupFromUSB

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 193 posts
yes, yes, yes.. fixing the paths and this did the trick. thanks you so much for your efforts. :)
Champion

Posted Image

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts
I would like to have an option to not compress the files added by WinSetupFromUSB to my installation source for easy modification of scripts. Especially the migrate.inf and setup.cmd files and the fake setup.exe should not be compressed to make a clear distinction between original and added files.

The setup.cmd can also be reduced in size by removing obsolete code.

File modifications to winnt.sif can be reduced:

win9xupgrade="no"
winntupgrade="no"
EulaComplete="1"

These lines are not necessary for USB support.

Autopartition and MsDosInitiated should use unquoted values.
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

I would like to have an option to not compress the files added by WinSetupFromUSB to my installation source for easy modification of scripts. Especially the migrate.inf and setup.cmd files and the fake setup.exe should not be compressed to make a clear distinction between original and added files.

They were compressed on purpose- on rare occasions there were reports for those files not being copied during text mode, setup complaining they were missing. Compressing them seems to have fixed the problem and I wouldn't change anything which is working fine without an important reason or finding why exactly this was happening. File sizes were not the issue I was after.
Migrate.inf is not compressed.

Long overdue task, still ignored since focus is on much more important stuff.

win9xupgrade="no"
winntupgrade="no"
EulaComplete="1"

All these changes are there on purpose. Are there any issues with them?

Care to spare more details why ?

Acheron

Acheron

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

They were compressed on purpose- on rare occasions there were reports for those files not being copied during text mode, setup complaining they were missing. Compressing them seems to have fixed the problem and I wouldn't change anything which is working fine without an important reason or finding why exactly this was happening. File sizes were not the issue I was after.
Migrate.inf is not compressed.

Long overdue task, still ignored since focus is on much more important stuff.

win9xupgrade="no"
winntupgrade="no"
EulaComplete="1"

All these changes are there on purpose. Are there any issues with them?

Care to spare more details why ?

Normally quotes are only used to specify string values. You can save a few bytes by removing the quotes. The lines win9xupgrade="no", winntupgrade="no" and EulaComplete="1" are modifications to the answerfile which are not documented and not necessary to boot Windows setup from USB media.
Say no to bloatware. Download Nero Lite!

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

Normally quotes are only used to specify string values. You can save a few bytes by removing the quotes.

Thanks for your notes, will keep them in mind.

The lines win9xupgrade="no", winntupgrade="no" and EulaComplete="1" are modifications to the answerfile which are not documented and not necessary to boot Windows setup from USB media.

As already explained, they are there on purpose and I'd rather leave them there for now unless a serious reason for the opposite comes up.

Valeron

Valeron

• 13 posts
I recently encountered problems adding Ubuntu, ubcd5.x and Parted Magic, all use grub4dos method, with 1.0 beta8.
ubcd5.x can load into the menu, but several utility failed to work, include Parted Magic(pmagic-xxx.sqfs not found error).
Ubuntu: even a single iso installation won't work. loading it simply restart my PC. Official 12.10 iso distribution used.
Is there anyone share the same frustration with me?

Edited by Valeron, 25 February 2013 - 07:11 AM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
There was a bug in some grub4dos versions:
http://reboot.pro/to...ne/#entry164102
http://code.google.c...il?id=100&can=1

Get latest grub4dos package, stick to 0.4.5c versions:
http://code.google.c.../downloads/list

Extract grldr and grub.exe in \WInSetupFromUSB\files\grub4dos\ folder and recreate the USB disk.

If you don't want to recreate the USB disk, replace those 2 files in root of the USB disk.
If you have used the auto-format option, then you'd need to use FBInstTool to replace them in the hidden FB area of the disk, just run the tool and drag&drop the 2 files.

Or edit menu.lst and remove the NUL redirection around the lines starting with kernel and initrd as per the above topic.

As for UBCD- I don't know if it would work added it this way, have a look at their forum for clues:
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/

You may also use the syslinux option and add the contents of UBCD to the disk, it should be FAT32/16 formatted.

bien1

bien1
  • 2 posts
winsetup not working for me with live cd antivirus isos....anyone?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
It's not designed to, and most of these ISOs cannot be used directly with plain grub4dos CD emulation without some modifications for each of them.
Try Sardu:
http://www.sarducd.it/
http://reboot.pro/fo...builder-usbdvd/

bien1

bien1
  • 2 posts

It's not designed to, and most of these ISOs cannot be used directly with plain grub4dos CD emulation without some modifications for each of them.
Try Sardu:
http://www.sarducd.it/
http://reboot.pro/fo...builder-usbdvd/

sardu does not use grub4dos as winsetup?

Is sardu > winsetup?

Edited by bien1, 03 March 2013 - 06:20 PM.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

sardu does not use grub4dos as winsetup?

As far as I remember there was an option whether to use grub4dos or syslinux.

Is sardu > winsetup?

That's personal choice. Try and use whichever you like better and fits your needs.

WindR

WindR
  • 2 posts
How to rename the WINSETUP folder? Changing ISOPATH did not help.

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts
http://www.msfn.org/...ndpost&p=984440

majinzin

majinzin

• 23 posts
hi,
i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3 on my external hard drive with Win7 and ubuntu 12.10. First, i decompress Win7 iso in a folder then i browse that folder in WInSetupFromUsb and finally browse Ubuntu Live iso.
I try to boot them and both start fine. But when i select Win7, when i press Install button in setup screen, a popup alert me that cd/dvd driver is missing. i don't undersrand why.... if i burn same iso in a dvd there's no problem...

This in my "menu.lst"

color light-cyan/blue light-red/blue
timeout -1
default /default

title Setup Windows 
root (hd0,1)
chainloader /bootmgr

title Live Ubuntu 12.10 x86
map --unmap=0:0xff
map --unhook
root (hd0,1)
map /ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff) || map --mem /ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso quiet splash --
errorcheck off
initrd /casper/initrd.lz
initrd /casper/initrd.gz
errorcheck on
map --unmap=0:0xff

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,014 posts

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3

Try again this time using latest Beta, 1.0 beta8.

This is a known issue when the 7 is used as ".iso", but from what you write you are using a "flat" setup :unsure: :
http://reboot.pro/to...required-cddvd/

jaclaz

majinzin

majinzin

• 23 posts

i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3

Try again this time using latest Beta, 1.0 beta8.

This is a known issue when the 7 is used as ".iso", but from what you write you are using a "flat" setup :unsure: :
http://reboot.pro/to...required-cddvd/

jaclaz

thank you...can i use 1.0 beta 8 without format partition? Is there a solution modify manually some files?

ilko_t

ilko_t

MSFN Addict

• Super Moderator
  • 1,705 posts

hi,
i used WinSetupfromUsb 0.2.3 on my external hard drive with Win7 and ubuntu 12.10. First, i decompress Win7 iso in a folder then i browse that folder in WInSetupFromUsb and finally browse Ubuntu Live iso.
I try to boot them and both start fine. But when i select Win7, when i press Install button in setup screen, a popup alert me that cd/dvd driver is missing. i don't undersrand why.... if i burn same iso in a dvd there's no problem...

It may happen with some USB devices and certain Vista/7 versions, they are yet ready when Setup searches for the source files.
Try the latest unfinished yet hence not published, but fully functional beta9 from here, it takes care of these cases:
http://code.google.c...rc4.7z&can=1&q=
You should use the Vista/7 option and point it to the ISO file, no need to extract or mount it in this version, and do not confuse it with the next option- PartedMagic/Ubuntu... ;)

Another idea- are you using USB3 port and USB3 device? Try plugging the disk in USB2 port.

thank you...can i use 1.0 beta 8 without format partition? Is there a solution modify manually some files?

Yes to the first question.
What files, you'll have to be more detailed what you want to accomplish.

@Jaclaz
It's added not as an ISO, just dump of the contents of the DVD to the USB disk and bootmgr chainloaded, nothing unusual.

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,014 posts

@Jaclaz
It's added not as an ISO, just dump of the contents of the DVD to the USB disk and bootmgr chainloaded, nothing unusual.

I know ;), that's why it "tagged" the report as "unusual", I have never seen a "flat" asking for cd/dvd, I thought that beta 8 already was "fixed", my bad.

With all due respect :), you could change the description of WinSetupFromUSB_1-0-beta9_rc4.7z to "Experimental", instead of "Deprecated", that of WinSetupFromUSB 1.0 Beta8 from "nothing" to "Current", and post a link to:
http://code.google.c...e DownloadCount

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz, 23 March 2013 - 10:12 AM.

majinzin

majinzin

• 23 posts
there are 3 things that i don't say:
1) i use WD hard drive 3.0....if i connect it on 3.0 ports, it doesn't boot!! no problem...i use 2.0 port
2) i created 4 partitions...i use 2nd partition (NTFS) in a table on winsetup.

Posted Image

3) yesterday, i don't konw how, it worked properly one time, no popup cd/dvd driver ecc....when i try another time it doesn't work...

Yes to the first question.
What files, you'll have to be more detailed what you want to accomplish.

i thought that was possible modify menu.lst or other files to arrive at the same result of winsetup 1.0 beta 8...

majinzin

majinzin

• 23 posts
i used beta 9, first i deleted all files of windows 7...then i used winsetup. i tried boot...when i select win7 setup on grub, i select first part of installation (partition 1) and works!! Then i aborted, i suppose that i will select the second stage of installation when system reboot . correct? old procedure has only one stage, the problem is it?

EDIT:
probabibly i found the mistake: with BOOTICE i hid partition used with Winsetup then i tried to boot windows and it doesn't work !!!

Posted Image

i tried disconnect it but it doesn't work....

then i unhid partition and it WORKS!!! probably i hid partition also when i used winsetup 0.2.3 and the only time that it worked because partition was unhide...

Edited by majinzin, 23 March 2013 - 01:04 PM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN