Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KernelEx App Compatibility Database

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I was thinking about the database Wine has, and we should make one too for KernelEx so people know exactly what works and what not. For now it could just be in this topic, then we could expand it on a site like the Wine AppDB is. One would just search for the program he wants to use and find info.

I'm a fan of bishoujo (dating sim) games, and even patched one to run properly on XP and Vista. The game engines are usually scripted, and they depend a lot on certain functions of the OS they were built on so they are very fussy when it comes to compatibility. I can provide info on lots of crappily coded games. :thumbup

Edit concerning games: Check this thread for more info. ;)

So let's start it. I'll first put in the programs reported as working by Xeno86 then put my list in. ;)

What works:

Alcohol 120% 1.9.5.3105
Notes: This is the last version working natively in 9x, without needing any patches. Why not stick with what works? I've never had any problem with this version, as a matter of fact i still use it on my dual-PIII running XP.
Adobe Flash Player Plugin for Opera/Firefox
Notes: Needs temporary replacing of [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion] VersionNumber key to "5.10.2600" to install - DON'T FORGET to change it back!!!
bbLean
Firefox 3
foobar2000 0.9.4.x
Notes: Needs setting of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion] CurrentVersion key to 5.1 DON'T FORGET to delete it afterwards!!!
K-Lite Codec Pack
Notes: DON'T let it to "correct the registry", and i prefer to just use KMPlayer.
Meedio
MSN Messenger 7.0.820
Notepad2
OpenOffice.org
Photoshop CS
PunkBuster
Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

What doesn't work:

Yahoo Messenger 9 Beta
Why: Does not want to install and says it needs Win2k or higher no matter what compatibility i set in KernelEx or registry.

Sound Forge 9.0e
Why: Doesn't install, says "The operating system does not support this application". Anyone know how to trick the new InstallShield?

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2
Why: Installs from the .msi but doesn't run. No error message. Corel did nothing but bloat it anyway, so i'll stick to Paint Shop Pro 8, the last version released by Jasc. :)

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3, 18 July 2008 - 12:08 PM.

What's the point of security features if we have to disable them for things to work right?

p35-ds3 / e6550 @ 3.5ghz 500fsb scythe mugen / 8gb pqi ddr2 800 @ 1000 / sapphire hd3870 / 320gb wd / x64 / nokia 920c 19"
toshi portege 4010 / p3 tualatin @ 933mhz / 512mb pc133 sdram / 16mb cyberblade / wifi / irda / sd / 30gb ibm / me / 12.1" tft
6bxds / 2x p3 @ 700mhz / 1gb cl2 sdram / sapphire 9800 pro 256mb / awe64 isa / sil3112a pci + 320gb wd / xp / thomson 24" tv

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:whistle: Msn Messenger-all versions (*crash!);Windows Messenger-(Shaky Usage and crashes).....at least with Kex 0.3.2-0.3.4....Will test newKex0.3.5 soon next few days ; Brilliant Topic-GREAT Idea's;Wish more people could do the same ? :thumbup
thydreamwalker

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

:whistle: Msn Messenger-all versions (*crash!);Windows Messenger-(Shaky Usage and crashes).....at least with Kex 0.3.2-0.3.4....Will test newKex0.3.5 soon next few days ; Brilliant Topic-GREAT Idea's;Wish more people could do the same ? :thumbup

MSN Messenger 7.0.820 works fine.

Posted Image
You don't wanna click there.

win95guy

win95guy

• 21 posts
7.0.0820 already did... :rolleyes:

alexanrs

alexanrs

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2
Why: Installs from the .msi but doesn't run. No error message. Corel did nothing but bloat it anyway, so i'll stick to Paint Shop Pro 8, the last version released by Jasc. :)

Isn't the last version released by Jasc 9.0?

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Th3_uN1Qu3, I suggest you browse through the whole KernelEx topic, because there is lots of info to pull out.
The cmd.exe problem seems to be fixed by taking a copy of command.com and renaming it to cmd.exe and then placing it in \WINDOWS\COMMAND.
I did this for one game install.
retrofreak n a person who is very enthusiastic about something from the past.
retrology n the study of association with and revival from the past.
life n a series of near misses.

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Isn't the last version released by Jasc 9.0?

Could be, didn't check. :P

Th3_uN1Qu3, I suggest you browse through the whole KernelEx topic, because there is lots of info to pull out.

Will do. Edit: Checked the whole topic and added to the list accordingly.

The cmd.exe problem seems to be fixed by taking a copy of command.com and renaming it to cmd.exe and then placing it in \WINDOWS\COMMAND.
I did this for one game install.

Forget that, Universal Extractor 1.6 beta works.

Edited by Th3_uN1Qu3, 14 July 2008 - 02:31 PM.

What's the point of security features if we have to disable them for things to work right?

p35-ds3 / e6550 @ 3.5ghz 500fsb scythe mugen / 8gb pqi ddr2 800 @ 1000 / sapphire hd3870 / 320gb wd / x64 / nokia 920c 19"
toshi portege 4010 / p3 tualatin @ 933mhz / 512mb pc133 sdram / 16mb cyberblade / wifi / irda / sd / 30gb ibm / me / 12.1" tft
6bxds / 2x p3 @ 700mhz / 1gb cl2 sdram / sapphire 9800 pro 256mb / awe64 isa / sil3112a pci + 320gb wd / xp / thomson 24" tv

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:rolleyes: MSN 7 and up with Kex0.3.3-0.3.4 collapses daily (buggy!)I even can not use free MSN Services from My I.P.Carrier! Too much dazzle or incompatability with newer Kex's;***I use Kex 0.3.2a with only MSN7 and up is limited useage@2hours uptime.*WILL try Kex0.3.5 later in week .with a scheduled Re-install on a new and older MoBo soon. *Special Note:Some of my W2K Applications slip into my 98SE systems by accident and "oddly" enough they run "Great"on 98SE with any Kex version (usually0.3.2aKex)installed and usually these just will not run and close abruptly(***"with an improper system notification") ......though lately i integrated some of these to become TSR programs in my 98SE system-and they're still running "Great"...hmmmmmm*Noteworthy to investigate which other appl's may work with 98SE too! :whistle: *To:Marxo-Is Your MSN Messenger7 from MSN Member Center or Microsoft ?*Mine is MSN MemberCenter and this could be problem-as Skype2.5.14.140 U3-edition is "Too buggy/nosey" works with my Kex ,not MSN7 though?
thydreamwalker

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Well, the only version that is actually working is MSN Messenger 7.0.820, because older require to be updated to Live. You can download it from Microsoft's Download Center.

I run it daily on my WLP machine.

BTW, I don't know which K-Lite Codec Pack version you are referring to, because 3.4.5 is the last official supported, and I wouldn't count that 4.0 really works, because KEx has nothing to with particular codecs.

Edited by marxo, 13 July 2008 - 03:46 AM.

Posted Image

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

BTW, I don't know which K-Lite Codec Pack version you are referring to, because 3.4.5 is the last official supported, and I wouldn't count that 4.0 really works, because KEx has nothing to with particular codecs.

It doesn't have to do with the codecs but it does with the installer. Latest version works without issues. Thanks for the info on MSN, added to the list.

marxo

marxo

UI Designer

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

It doesn't have to do with the codecs but it does with the installer. Latest version works without issues. Thanks for the info on MSN, added to the list.

Yea, but new codecs can create a problem with Windows 98, it has nothing to do with KEx, it has to do with new versions of codecs. I hope you know what I mean, because it is pointless to make installer compatible if the codec itself won't work.

Also, MSN Messenger 7.0.820 is compatible with Windows 98 without KEx.

Edited by marxo, 13 July 2008 - 08:15 AM.

Posted Image

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:blushing: I use ZONEALARM and there was a "BUG" with Microsoft Update KB951748 and internet connectivity after i applied MDCU3.0e and MDIECU2,2 .....so MSN Messenger still might or not be source of Kex's problems on my other MoBo's? *AS this IntelDesktop1998-ca810e 192Ram/467mhzCeleron runs with "Great-with Kex0.3.2a/MSM Messenger7" -with MDCU3.0e and MDIECU2.1a! :rolleyes: I still believe any application W2K or XP (even Vista)can work with 98SE and Kex -it has to do with certain MS uodates and especially enough MemoryRam? :sneaky: As my 64mb/Ram MoBo;and 128mb/Ram MoBo do not like Kex above 0.3.2aversion; and my 192mb/Ram MoBo;and 256mb/Ram MoBo do like Kex 0.3.2a and 0.3.4
thydreamwalker

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

ea, but new codecs can create a problem with Windows 98, it has nothing to do with KEx, it has to do with new versions of codecs. I hope you know what I mean, because it is pointless to make installer compatible if the codec itself won't work.

Well, my point is that the codecs work not only the installer. :)

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:blushing: Why would ,say Kex0.3.4-0.3.5 run with 98SE and FF3/with FlashPlayer10,and Shockwave11 on a 256mb/Ram MoBo and not with 128mb/Ram MoBo???(Same installs exactly and PentiumIII/Slot1 CPU's@500mhz <tweaked somewhat :whistle: > and ViaApollo/Shuttle Boards)
thydreamwalker

Th3_uN1Qu3

Th3_uN1Qu3

Digital sinner

• PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Because Firefox, Flash and Shockwave are all memory hogs. I wouldn't run an internet machine with less than 256MB RAM anyway.

cure

cure

Junior

• Pip
  • 60 posts
Thanx for starting this much needed list.

Notepad2 is broken insofar as anything that you copy to repaste elsewere is not in fact available to be pasted.
Instead get Notepad2 version 2.0.12 ANSI which doesn't need the kernelex (you may need to use the waybackmachine with http://www.flos-free...pad2_1.0.12.zip to get it).

Calcplus.exe from XP works, although if installed via the calcplus.msi (as opposed to simply copying the binary), Orca must be used to edit the launch conditions.

Media Player Classic Unicode [HomeCinema] works with the addition of psapi.dll in its directory and the exclusion of the program itself from kexver.ini (seems strange to me).

Media Player Classic Unicode 6.4.9.1 works with the exclusion of the program itself from kexver.ini.

MS Paint works as advertised by Tiniy.

And according to Tihiy: "Google Picasa 3 beta runs very well". "Charmap from XP" and "Adobe Acrobat Reader 7 (with minor problems)".

Winamp 5.35. works but I am not sure that it needs kernelex in the first place (it is not in my kexver.ini in anycase).

Edited by cure, 16 December 2008 - 01:15 PM.

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
Allright I think this is a much needed thread. As the title says, it is just meant to list applications that do not normally run under 9x systems but do with KernelEx installed. For anything else, bug reports, feature requests, etc.. please post in the original KernelEx thread.
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

eidenk

eidenk

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
(reserving this post for later) :hello:
Asus A8V Deluxe - Athlon 64 FX-55 2.6Ghz - 1GB DDRAM 400 - Windows ME (IE 5.5 SP2 Shell) + KernelEx 4.0 and Revolutions Pack 10

RetroOS

RetroOS

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
Note: There was another topic started, but is now defunct: http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=120479

Some that we know about already:

Mozilla Firefox 3
Adobe Flash 10 (plugin)
OpenOffice.org 3.0
Java Developer Kit 6
Java Runtime Environment 6
Google Picasa 3
PDF-XChange Viewer
Doom 3
Quake 4
Prey
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
The Chronicles of Riddick EFBB Demo
QEmu 0.9

Also Adobe Reader 7.0.9.

How to install:
Download: http://ardownload.ad...dr709_en_US.exe
- Set AdbeRdr709_en_US.exe Compatibility mode to Windows 2000
- Execute AdbeRdr709_en_US.exe
- Installer unpacks files and then fails.
- Browse to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Setup Files\RdrBig709\ENU
- Using Orca, make the following changes to Adobe Reader 7.0.9.msi:
- Drop row UnSupportedOS (Version9x) from both InstallExecuteSequence and InstallUISequence
- Execute setup.exe
- Remove Adobe Reader Speed Launch from the Startup menu to prevent problems.
- If Acrobat Reader 6 or Acrobat 6 is installed, then run an install repair. This is to repair the Adobe Shell Extensions. The reason for this is that pdfshell.dll from 7.x is not compatible with Windows 9x and causes long hangs in Windows Explorer anytime there are PDF files in the current folder and you click on them...
- Then repair each Acrobat Reader 6/Acrobat 6 update in order (assuming all updates are installed):
-- Adobe Acrobat - Reader 6.0.2 Update
-- Adobe Interactive Forms Update SP1
-- Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.3 Update
-- Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.4 Update
-- Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.5 Update
-- Adobe Acrobat and Reader 6.0.6 Update

If you don't have a copy of Acrobat Reader or Acrobat already installed, then you will have to manually remove the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{F9DB5320-233E-11D1-9F84-707F02C10627}
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Acrobat.AcroAXDoc.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AcroExch.Document.7
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shellex\ColumnHandlers\{F9DB5320-233E-11D1-9F84-707F02C10627}

If Adobe Reader 7.0 is not default, the use right-click Open With and select Adobe Reader 7.0 or make it the default.

Edited by RetroOS, 25 March 2009 - 03:57 AM.

retrofreak n a person who is very enthusiastic about something from the past.
retrology n the study of association with and revival from the past.
life n a series of near misses.

MDGx

MDGx

98SE2ME + 98MP10

• Super Moderator
  • 2,678 posts
IMHO

This list of all KernelEx compatible apps/games/etc should be linked in the 1st post of the main topic:
http://www.msfn.org/...howtopic=130936

Also, both this new topic and the old one should be [eventually merged and] organized as a nice list. Any volunteers?

Thanks for your time.

dirtyoldm

dirtyoldm
  • 6 posts
Seamonkey 2.0a3 works!

Installed KernelEx 4.0 RC2 in 98SE with 98Lite (removes IE and all its components).
The Seamonkey install requires Compatibility set to Win2000SP4, as does Seamonkey.exe.

The install failed to finish, but all files were installed.
It did NOT pick up old settings, and did NOT respond to being run with -GRElocal; the profile was installed in the default \Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\etc.
I will have to do the fixups manually. This could be a bug in the Seamonkey alpha.

But it works fine, if a bit slower than Seamonkey 1.1.14. Could be it's just slower.

Thanks, guys!

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:whistle: Gimp1.2,Gimp2.0-Photo image viewers :thumbup Nero 7 now fully nstalls and runs properly and complete as it does in W2k/XP :blushing:
thydreamwalker

Fredledingue

Fredledingue

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
Skype and Gimp should work without kernellX. At least version from 6 months ago did.

HTASoft.com

superchargedwindows9xig1.png
Still Using W98SE+++ ...Daily.

Philco

Philco

• PipPip
  • 273 posts
Last Notepad2 - Homepage Notepad2 works OK with KernelEx!

My setting (:
[PerApp]
Notepad2.exe=win2000

(NOTE: First edit kexver.ini Notepad.exe=win2000 / replace notepad.exe with notepad2.exe!)
Posted Image
czech localization NUSB, BigHDD & UberSkin - homepage czech project: Winpack.org and windows98.ic.cz

thydreamwalker

thydreamwalker

teddybearguru7

• PipPip
  • 252 posts
:whistle: Skype runs from Usb-flash safer than a harddrive as it wastes important memory resources! :rolleyes: Win 98 SE with RP 9,Kex 4.0 rc 2 compatible with ZoneAlarm 4.0 Pro and older versions ;Avast 4.8 , Yahoo CA Anti-spy,and Spybot Search :thumbup

Edited by thydreamwalker, 15 April 2009 - 08:38 PM.

thydreamwalker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN