• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
Th3_uN1Qu3

KernelEx App Compatibility Database

155 posts in this topic

* AviDemux 2.5.1

AviDemux 2.5.2 also works. However, AviDemux 2.5.3 failed with missing MSVCRT.DLL:_fstat64.

i`m using Firefox 3.5.11, and Adobe Flash Player 9 in Windows 98SE with KernelEX 4.5 Beta 2 , FF is running fine (better than IE6, at least). but, Flash Player do not seems to work in youtube, it loads, and it keeps in black screen or crashes firefox. My processor is sucks, it is a Cyrix MII 6x86-333 250Mhz. same thing with Flash Player 10.1. anyway to make youtube works on it?

also, how i install FF3.6.x with kernelEX and keeping it stable? always it freezes my system :(

Edited by pichorra

Opera new release! 10.63 running fine here :thumbup

I have KernelEx 4.5 RC 4 installed,

but maybe run even without it :D

EDIT after a few tests: Very good build.

Faster to launch, faster to open pages ...and stable.

The bug of the startbar that was not displaying icons is gone! :yes:

Edited by CharlesF

Recent version of LeaderTask personal organizer from giveawayoftheday worked for me.

PC-Wizard 2010.1.95 worked partially. Some info cannot be retrieved (like temperatures), some details cause system to hang up, but most of the stuff were detected and displayed correctly. Without KernelEx PC-Wizard fails to start.

FREE SOFTWARE

AM-Deadlinks 3.3 (http://files.youdownload.com/AM-DeadLink-3-3-download-a28472e722.htm)

Audacity 1.3.12-beta

Eraser 5.8.2 revision 3

FileZilla 2.2.22

Firefox 3.6.10

GIMP 2.2.12

PDF-XChange 2.0 (Build 42.9)

SyncBack v3.2.21.0

VLC 1.1.4

Acrobat Reader 7.0.9 (search topic for instructions)

COMMERICAL SOFTWARE

Textaloud 2.303

WP X3

NOT WORKING

AM-Deadline 4.3

Eraser 5.8.7, 5.8.8 and later (5.8.6 might or might not work, but was recalled for instability)

Edited by cure

A thread in a forum offers very poor functionality as a database. Two possibilities occur to me: a Wikipedia page on Kernelex with a compatibility section or a Google Docs spreadsheet. Either would be editable by any of us as we have more up-to-date information. Thoughts? Other or better solutions?

New version Opera 11 Final released today! :D

Running fine for now with KernelEx installed :thumbup but needs to set compatibility to 'Windows 2000 SP4'.

Opera 11.00 for Windows changelog: there is many new features and improvements.

Download.

If you don't want to install it, try the portable version: Opera@USB.

Enjoy.

Charles.

Edited by CharlesF

DC BASS Source Filter 1.2 is a Direct Show filter, permitting Direct Show media players, such as Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic, to use the Bass audio codecs. The DC BASS Source Filter is included in several modern codec packs, such as K-Lite and Vista Codec Package (packages designed for Windows XP and above). A more recent DC BASS Source Filter (i.e. "1.3") is also available, and may work if your computer uses a Pentium III or higher processor.

To run, the DC BASS Source Filter requires "WINXP" compatibility under KernelEx. The entry must be made manually to the Windows Registry, for example

Registry Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\KernelEx\AppSettings\Configs]

Name Value (DWord): "C:\\Program Files\\DirectShow\\DC Bass Source\\DCBassSource.ax"

Data Value: "WINXP"

The DC BASS Source Filter is a component of the "DirectShow FilterPack (DSFP)", from which the filter can be extracted. The "DirectShow FilterPack (DSFP)" also includes Softella's Direct Show filter manager software "DSFM". This program also should be extracted.

Obtain "DC BASS Source Filter 1.2" from "DirectShow FilterPack 3.33" at http://www.freewaregeeks.com/index.php?page=detail&get_id=983&category=36 .

Or obtain "DC BASS Source Filter 1.2" from "DirectShow FilterPack 3.34" at http://bstdownload.com/reviews/directshow-filterpack-3/ .

Or obtain "DC BASS Source Filter 1.3" from "DirectShow FilterPack" author at http://reino.degeelebosch.nl/ .

Note the batch files, included in the filter pack for the "DC BASS Source Filter", are designed to register/unregister the filter in Windows XP. Modify the batch files to run in Win 98/me, as follows:

Batch file entry to register the filter: %WINDIR%\system\regsvr32.exe DCBassSource.ax

Batch file entry to unregister the filter: %WINDIR%\system\regsvr32.exe /U DCBassSource.ax

Or else, use the Softella filter manager program to register/unregister the filter.

CyberPower Audio Editing Lab 14.0.1 works with KernelEx in default mode on Windows 98 SE. When disabling KernelEx it crashes. Officially supported OSes list starts with ME.

Games

LAST - $$$$ - Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus

(requires d3dx9_33.dll. CTRL and Shift are locked, no movie playback)

CTRL and Shift work with KernelEx v4.5 Final.

SeaMonkey 2.1b1 is working fine here with KernelEX. So is Adobe Flash Player version 10,2,152,26 for non-IE browsers.

I have try the last build of Opera called Opera 11.10 “Barracuda: Version 11.10 alpha - Révision 2005

and it seems to run fine with last KernelEx installed (and compatibility setting to Win 2000 Sp4). :D

Here's an interesting one. DownThemAll (a download manager add-on for Firefox) v.1.x worked with KernelEx 4.5 (every version I tested) and Firefox 3.5, but there were some bugs I noted in the KernelEx thread.

I'm happy to report that DownThemAll 2.0.x also works, and without the bugs! :thumbup

I think a proper database would be good for this (on kex homepage prehaps?) meaning that you could type/search for an app to see its compatability.

Anyway, Starry Night CASP 6 works with kex (latest).

Compatability issue, do not tick [use shaders] otherwise it will crash upon start with illegal operation.

Trev

As mentioned way back on page 1 of this thread, Adobe Reader 7.09 works. And with KernelEx 4.5 Final, the installation program completes normally - no need to edit the .msi file anymore.

BUT, when I installed Adobe Reader 7.09, it installed a version of MSVCRT.DLL that broke several programs. Ouch!

Luckily, if this happens to you, MGDx has the fix. http://www.mdgx.com/files/Q932590.EXE will install the latest version of MSVCRT.DLL that works with Win98.

* Whew! * That was close. Thanks MGDx!

Edit: One more thing: Make sure to set not just the install program, but also Adobe Reader 7.09 itself, to Windows 2000 compatibility mode. Otherwise you'll have garbage in many of the dialog boxes.

Edited by Mathwiz

About a year ago I wrote about STDU Viewer. Recently I tried the latest version 1.5.635. The list of supported formats increased and now it can display tiff, djvu, pdf, xps, cbz, cbr, tcr, jbig2, fb2, wwf, pdb and other file formats. And what's cool, I have found the way to run it on Windows 98 with KernelEx 4.5 without this interface bug that makes it almost unusable. You need to download both portable version and installer. Install it, then unpack portable version to other location and use the portable version to launch it. I don't know why it works in that way, but it works perfectly! When I run the installed version, the interface is crapped; when I try to use only portable version, the interface is OK but it cannot open a file, but when I run portable version with already installed one, everything works OK.

Just in the past couple of days, I've installed Opera 11.11 (using W2K compatibility mode) on two machines, both W98SE with KernelEx 4.5.1. Generally, I'm impressed with it, compared to FF (2.0.0.22pre).

On one machine however, no icon appears on the taskbar when Opera is started.

I've looked around for an explanation/solution, but the only similar thing I can find relates to Linux. Ideas anyone?

Also I've noticed, on both machines, Opera doesn't like to open multiple instances of itself. Minor issue, although more annoying when there's no icon on the taskbar to remind you it's already running.

Joe.

PS. Just solved the mystery of the missing taskbar icon for Opera. On a hunch, I installed the Unofficial Q932590 hotfix for 'msvcrt.dll' from MDGX's site. (A similar problem existed for Wireshark 0.99.4, now also fixed.)

Edited by jds

I tried STDU Viewer 1.5.647 with Kernelex 4.5.1.

As noted below, this program has one feature I have wanted since the original Kodak Imaging program.

I did however have some problems. I had to wonder if they were STDU problems or Kernelex problems because I don't have a system without kernelex.

I went to the web site and didn't find any forums, only a email address for support.

File, print consistently crashed the program with a page fault in kernel32.dll.

In the preferences/options dialog box, clicking "paragraphs and fonts" consistently crashed the program with a page fault in module STDUVIEWERAPP.EXE.

In the shortcuts branch in that dialog box, clicking the assign command button for a entered short cut key did not do anything.

In the text documents branch in that dialog box, changing the background color did not do anything.

The program did not remember the window position and size when re-starting.

For selected areas of the image, the program provided copy and save options, but not a cut option. For me cut is important because I often have to clean up black areas on scanned documents.

That said, the program had one feature that I have wanted for years. If you key view, setting, the program offers three slider controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma for the image. When viewing bright white background .pdf and .tif documents, you can turn down the brightness on the white backgrounds to a level where you don't wish for sun glasses.

I tried STDU Viewer 1.5.647 with Kernelex 4.5.1.

As noted below, this program has one feature I have wanted since the original Kodak Imaging program.

I did however have some problems. I had to wonder if they were STDU problems or Kernelex problems because I don't have a system without kernelex.

I went to the web site and didn't find any forums, only a email address for support.

File, print consistently crashed the program with a page fault in kernel32.dll.

In the preferences/options dialog box, clicking "paragraphs and fonts" consistently crashed the program with a page fault in module STDUVIEWERAPP.EXE.

In the shortcuts branch in that dialog box, clicking the assign command button for a entered short cut key did not do anything.

In the text documents branch in that dialog box, changing the background color did not do anything.

The program did not remember the window position and size when re-starting.

For selected areas of the image, the program provided copy and save options, but not a cut option. For me cut is important because I often have to clean up black areas on scanned documents.

That said, the program had one feature that I have wanted for years. If you key view, setting, the program offers three slider controls for brightness, contrast, and gamma for the image. When viewing bright white background .pdf and .tif documents, you can turn down the brightness on the white backgrounds to a level where you don't wish for sun glasses.

Any program running under KernelEx compatibility mode, even say 'notepad', fails to print on my system.

As for the features you seek, have you tried IrfanView? Runs on W9X natively (except for the OCR plug-in, which needs KernelEx).

Joe.

Mozilla Seamonkey up to version 2.0.14 works fine for me.

Ver. 2.1 starts but freeze when loading a webpage (even on local disk) - kernelex 4.5.1, winxp-sp2 compat.