How to integrate .NET Framework into Windows XP SP3

shanike81

I am using nLite program for Windows XP SP3. Now I have an original Windows XP XP2 CD. But I tried to integrate .NET Framework 1.1 and 3.5 into Windows XP SP3, but nLite program failed to integrate .NET framework 1.1 and 3.5 into Windows XP SP3. Please, give me your advice. Thank you in advance.

This topic has been well covered if you use the search feature or Google. There are installers available, such as RyanVM, but you can't really integrate it. I install it as part of RunOnce, but there are other options.

P.S... the Microsoft installer is only 5.2MB because it is compressed vs 49MB for the other installers.

Makes a difference if you're loading from 700MB CD.

Edited by ki_supergeek

• 9 months later...

I have download the full package of net framework 3.5 not the installer.I tried it to integrate with my windows xp sp3 cd with nlite.But it just started to install in my computer's os (windows xp) and at the end nlite displays it is finished.But how can i verify that it is really integrated to the cd.

Hi, if you want to see if nlite added or not you could look at the svcpack folder under i386 in your hd copy of windows cd. You will see in that folder all the hotfixes and addons you added with nlite. These hotfixes and addons are listed in the file svcpack.in_ that is in the i386 folder. you could copy it on your dekstop for example, expand it with 7zip and open it with a text editor (notepad for example).

Take care that to install .net3.5 you should install .net 1.1 before.

It means that you have to install .net1.1 during T-13 for example and install .net3.5 with RunOnceEx

shanike81, sorry but this is not true:

Take care that to install .net3.5 you should install .net 1.1 before.

It means that you have to install .net1.1 during T-13 for example and install .net3.5 with RunOnceEx

Sorry also vgsangiuliano. I install .NET 3.5 (only) out of nLite's Unattended RunOnce, plus its updates with no problems on my XP x64 system.

Instead of messing around with all the schemes to determine if nLite included what you asked it to, just install it on a virtual system and test it there. You really need to do this anyway. VirtualPC, VirtualBox and VMware Server are all free. I use VMware Server and can install XP x64 in less than 15 minutes from an ISO file (NO CD). Enjoy, John.

are you speaking of Microsoft .NET Framework v3.5 (x86 & x64) setup package, it is 197MB big? is this what you would use, AKA Full Redistributable Package

what would be the easiest way to "slipstream" this package, and would it still fit? i imagine you would not need all the files conatined in this full package - hence it supports both x86 & x64?

i believe my simi-unattended slipstreamed WinXP SP3 CD is already at some 618MB.... burn image to DVD?

and is there a way to have it run the comand "X:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ngen.exe executequeueditems" automaticaly? (mscorsvw.exe) after install of windows, or would the slipstream part take care of this?

hhmmmm......

Edited by Blam-O!

Blam-O!, I don't think you can slipstream .NET, at least I don't. There are some AddOns (see above and RyanVM forum.) I use the method from Kurt_Aust's great tutorial. I use the installer pointed to in his first page. It is 231 MB and I don't worry about size, since my ISO is more than 2.5 GB and I use a DVD when I need a disk. As you will see in Kurt_Aust's tutorial, .NET is installed out of the Unattended RunOnce exit as well as adding the updates. I am not aware if you can extract and remove the x86 or x64 files, but please let us know if you re able to do such a thing. I am really not so worried about the size. I am not familiar with "ngen.exe executequeueditems." What does it do? I would assume .NET needs a reboot after install, so I think you could schedule a RunOnce out of your RunOnce batch file, then a restart (see referenced link.) Your scheduled RunOnce would then run after the reboot. I also use Windows Post Install (WPI) and do a number of things after the nLite RunOnce finished (I do my reboot from WPI.) Have fun, John.