A year later, Vista SP1 or XP SP3

iwod

A year later, Vista SP1 or XP SP3  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Is Vista Good enough yet?

• I am Sticking to XP
    • Vista is great!

I find it so much harder to navigate through menus and even finding the easy stuff like network connections.

That's always a bit confusing really. Most new windows versions tend to shuffle things around like this and renaming some stuff.

The quickest thing I know of to get to network connections (not start > control panel > network and sharing center > manage network connections, nor right clicking on the systray icon > network and sharing center > manage network connections), is win+r, ncpa.cpl (but yes, you have to remember the name now)

the bad thing is that I am in the IT field....so eventually i will have to [snip] learn all the new [snip]

And again, that's what it comes down to. We have to stay current :) It's not just a Vista thing. New desktop OS, new server OS, new Exchange, new SQL Server, new dev tools, new hardware, new technologies, new apps, new ways to do things, new everything... It's a VERY rapidly changing field, and we're all struggling to keep current with everything.

I have had XP Pro since day one . I installed Vista on a another drive 2 months ago , I can boot up with either XP or Vista . I'm using Vista all the time now . So far I haven't had any problems either . So its Vista for me .

some people don't take the time to know vista, because of the change of interface, menu....pff are you so archaic! there are a lot of website that show how to tweak vista, this should help most of them.

some people test vista for only 2-3 days and they think they know it. :crazy: oh my god!

move forward and stay up to date

Stop being such an arse hannubys. Some people tested it for considerably more than the 2-3 days you assumed and found it wasn't suitable for their purposes. Other people simply don't see the need to fix something which isn't broken, ie. Windows XP. This does not make them archaic, nor is moving to Vista necessarily a move forward in many cases.

In our case, we are waiting to see if the specific issues which concern us are going to be addressed before we re-evaluate it. Only then after a proper evaluation will a decision be made. At the moment we are leaning towards skipping Vista and waiting for Windows 7 which Microsoft has stated will be modular. That will suit our needs very nicely thank you :)

Seriously not everything new is supposed to be the greatest. There are lots of examples that can be given but I am not going to waste my time. I just dotn see anythign in Vista that requires me to lose that much hdd space adn that much performance. You can see my specs below and I am using XP x64 and the system flies. I tried Vista and it was just too slow and sluggish and I had those copying issues as well. It would just sit there like a jackass copying small files! WTF!

Seriously not everything new is supposed to be the greatest. There are lots of examples that can be given but I am not going to waste my time. I just dotn see anythign in Vista that requires me to lose that much hdd space adn that much performance. You can see my specs below and I am using XP x64 and the system flies. I tried Vista and it was just too slow and sluggish and I had those copying issues as well. It would just sit there like a jackass copying small files! WTF!

My roll in life, this one anyway, is to make things work better. It's what I've done for 44 years now.

I'm running Vista Ultimate 32 on a freebie PC that was given to me.

There are many ways to simplify Vista and make it run better and use less resources.

There are even some registry tweaks to enhance performance.

But I've found nothing to eliminate the HD bloat. Vista is just HUGE!

It definitely requires MORE HD space and even more RAM than XP.

On my test machine, it runs pretty well.

I'm still looking for new ways to eeeek out another percent or two of performance.

I havn't even started shutting down Services yet, but I'll bet there are a bunch.

On XP I shut down about a dozen, without crippling XP.

Vista will never be my favorite OS, but it can be made to work a lot better than it does,

right out of the box.

Good luck,

Andromeda :ph34r:

I am ok with a new OS taking up more ram and stuff and more hard drive space as well as long as it is doing SOMETHING beneficial that I can see or ntoice. Yet pretty much everyone even the Vista fans I am sure have had smoe negative experience adn then they did all these tweaks and fixes adn vlite and all that to get it to perform better. Sure there is nothign wrong with modding to get more performance. But even then its not quick enough. THe price is outrageous. There is absolutely no reason to use Vista right now. Someone may say DX 10 and I say show me benefits and advantages of it. Once again just because something is new does not make it better.

Not surprised to see xp is getting more votes. Even after vista sp1, vista is still slow and bloated and resource hungry. My system is op notch, 4gb ram with intel core duo, but still vista is sluggish when it come to speed, responsive, and reliability

Not surprised to see xp is getting more votes. Even after vista sp1, vista is still slow and bloated and resource hungry. My system is op notch, 4gb ram with intel core duo, but still vista is sluggish when it come to speed, responsive, and reliability

At this point, if a well-powered system is running slow with Vista, something is wrong with the system.

Well you may have a point there subzero BUT if a well endowed system runs XP just fine and then you slap Vista on it with right drivers etc etc and SP1 before installing any other software and it is still sluggish and slow would it not imply something is wrong with the system?

I think and dont take this as flaming or badmouthing or anything bad at all but people always tend to think newer equals better especially when it comes to software and more often than not unfortunately that is not the case. That is just the unfortunate reality of software.

I'd go with Vista personally....Like what most guys said, it's got software compatibility issues but it'll fix from time to time via updates. I just hope MS will release SP2 sooon! and a patch for backwards compatible applications such as most games.

Cheers

Daora1984

Well you may have a point there subzero BUT if a well endowed system runs XP just fine and then you slap Vista on it with right drivers etc etc and SP1 before installing any other software and it is still sluggish and slow would it not imply something is wrong with the system?

If it's still sluggish something is wrong. Could be one of those "right drivers."

I just hope MS will release SP2 sooon! and a patch for backwards compatible applications such as most games.

From your personal experience, please list off some games that you know for certain do not work in Vista. Specific titles please.

At this point, if a well-powered system is running slow with Vista, something is wrong with the system.

Its not driver problems, as i upgraded my video card and other stuffs, with the new raptor 300bg HDD, all my system componenets are vista compatible with full x86/x64 driver support.

Its just moving from xp sp3 to a resource hungry and bloated OS makes it feel slower than xp. But end of the day vista is not that bad after sp1, compatibility and stability has improved a lot. Its just the file copying issues still remain which really puts me off, and obviously other stuffs.

Surprisingly when i used vlite to strip down vista (did not remove too many components only few), the result was Vista is faster than XP SP3 in everything. So basically vista has potential to become the fastest OS, but its bloated stuffs and unnecessary services and its many dependency's on each services kills a good OS

Edited by shahed26