Is there a Virtual Machine that can run Win98/2k?

p7s7x9

I tried installing Win98SE on MS's VirtualPC 2007. For some reason, the bootdisk for Win98SE from www.bootdisk.com doesn't seem to work with it, with the VM saying its file size is wrong.
Did you feed the downloaded file from bootdisk.com directly to the VM? AFAIK all, or most images from bootdisk.com are executables which create a (physical) floppy for you.

Actually in order for the DOS virtual machine to execute a HLT instruction in most idling circumstances, one needs to load *both* :

- dosidle

- sleepvm (or equivalent; like the DOS TSR which comes with the VMadditions for MS VPC)

Load (load high if using an UMB mem manager) these, inside of he VM of course. Tech note : Dosidle is excellent, however its author forgot to hook "int 28h" :( This is why the system will not idle as expected at the prompt inside of some programs, as someone noted. SleepVM will take care of this, or you could add the sleepvm feature to dosidle easily enough since dosidle is provided with source ASM...

These will suffice to "tame" the VM even when it is running Windows 3.1/3.11fWG. However there exists a VxD which can be loaded in addition (in system.ini) and will do the HALT at idle trick in a Windows way.

HTH

--

Ninho

Edited by Ninho

• 2 weeks later...

I've only recently gotten into using a VM (previously I used a real 98 box, but I upgraded to a Vista machine...well, the hardware was an upgrade, Vista was a downgrade), and Virtual PC 2007 hasn't failed me so far. I've used a couple different versions of Windows XP and Windows 98 SE without any trouble.

So that's my recommendation for XP/Vista users: Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. 98SE doesn't overheat anything for me, and only uses a tiny fraction of the CPU and RAM.