add icon to deskptop after install

is there a command to have WPI add a desktop icon?

Im still trying to figure out how to setup my CAL, but if anybody has CPU-z done, let me know as they are packaged the same way.

my CAL application runs after i install it through WPI. i just want to be able to put the CAL ACS icon onto a users desktop. How do i do this?

Also, is there a way to just COPY contents of a folder to a users drive through WPI?

I would like to be able to select "CAL Maps" in WPI and have it be the CAL MAPS folder be downloaded onto the users desktop as there is nothing to install.

OK I can build a silent installer for you that will be simple for you to update and that you can learn from.

BUT

I am not going to register on yet another site just to dl it. If you are interested please tell me and I will pm you my email.

I can put shortcuts anwhere. Its actuallt quite easy with winrar once you figure it out.

OK I can build a silent installer for you that will be simple for you to update and that you can learn from.

BUT

I am not going to register on yet another site just to dl it. If you are interested please tell me and I will pm you my email.

I can put shortcuts anwhere. Its actuallt quite easy with winrar once you figure it out.

Thanks Kel,

Yeah, my problem is i don't know how to do any of this but i liked WPI so much i decided to take the time to try and learn. Any help is greatly appreciated. I would actually prefer links to sites with info or just info from yourself as to what the basic things i need to understand.

I have no problem with the .exe files. My biggest problem is trying to find information that doesn't start at step 5. A lot of the info given is past the first few basic steps, or are really general. The only thing i found about CPU Z is people made batch files (which i know nothing about) or they said they used winrar to make it a .sfx file. I tried that, but couldn't get it to work. i used the ussf to get the switch, but wpi was still giving me errors so this is why i know that i'm missing some concept or skipping a step.

all i could find for info was "i just us winrar to make .sfx". i noticed it became an executable but don't know what to do from there becuase it does not work in wpi like the other .exe files i have set up as there isn't any setup file.

Im wasting too much time looking for information. i spent an hour looking around trying to figure out how to use the %extract% cmd and only found one topic on it, which had no replies if i remember correctly. are all these commands the same as you would use in a DOS console?

This is what i would like to learn how to do:

Add CPU Z or CAL ACS to WPI and have an Icon placed on the Desktop

When i click "begin install," I would like the file to be extracted to program(x86) and the CPU-Z icon to be placed on the users desktop. With WPI, when i click "begin install," it RUNS the application, CPU-z or CAL ACS as there is nothing to install. I do not need either of those programs to be run until the user double clicks them from their desktop. thanks in advance for your time.

BUT

See, like this here...

I don't even understand what u are talking about. :blink: Why would you have to register on another site, and what are you downloading?? I can register and dl too i just didn't know i had to dl something. This is why i say that i'm missing some basic knowledge or concept and need to learn.

OK get winrar.

install winrar

right click on the file(s) to be made into an installer

select "add to archive"

select "Create sfx archive" and "Best" compression mode

goto advanced tab then "sfx options"

in path to extract place the progs name i.e. CAL (It will autoplace it in the programs folder in a folder name cal)

goto the next advanced tab

select add shortcut

while desktop is chosen put cal.exe in the source file name and CAL in the shortcut name then click ok

do add shortcut again

this time select Start Menu/Programs place the cal.exe in the source file name choose a destination folder like "Anti-Cheaters" then put CAL in the shorcut name press ok

under modes pick "Hide all" and "Overwrite all files"

under text and icon pick a nice pretty icon

click OK

Click OK

Now you have a silent installer with custom shortcuts and update-ability

(TO update just right click and select open with winrar) Then just drop the newer file in....

BUT

See, like this here...

I don't even understand what u are talking about. :blink: Why would you have to register on another site, and what are you downloading?? I can register and dl too i just didn't know i had to dl something. This is why i say that i'm missing some basic knowledge or concept and need to learn.

I was going to download cal and make you a nice pretty installer and icon for it. But the only site I could find it at you have to register to dl it...

BUT

See, like this here...

I was going to download cal and make you a nice pretty installer and icon for it. But the only site I could find it at you have to register to dl it...

ah, i see. Well, thanks for the info, didn't know winrar could do all that. i made the sfx package, but what is the command that i use in WPI?

is it the same one i've been using for the other applications?

cmd1[pn]=["%wpipath%\\Install\\CAL\\CAL ACS\\cal acs.sfs.exe"];

when i install this through wpi, i get

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line: 380

Char: 26

Error: Permission denied

Code: 0

URL: about:blank

but when i install this through wpi with just the application file it works fine.

do i have to run this as admin maybe?

OK yes you have the command right but I would simplify it some...

cmd1[pn]=["%wpipath%\\Install\\CAL\\cal.exe"];

open with winrar and copy the comments then please paste the comments here so I can check them.

As for the running as an admin you should always run WPI w\admin properties...

OK yes you have the command right but I would simplify it some...

cmd1[pn]=["%wpipath%\\Install\\CAL\\cal.exe"];

open with winrar and copy the comments then please paste the comments here so I can check them.

As for the running as an admin you should always run WPI w\admin properties...

i hope this is what u were asking for.

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=CAL

SavePath

Silent=1

Overwrite=1

Shortcut=D, "CAL ACS.exe", "", "", "CAL ACS"

Shortcut=P, "CAL ACS.exe", "CAL League Files", "", "CAL ACS"

also, should i leave out the .sfx and just have the filename as "cal acs.exe"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i tried it and i got this when i double clicked the file i made

post-177469-1216445028_thumb.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, i extracted the app i made in winrar and added that extrated file into my install folder.

no more nasty messages, but it is not installing. WPI gives me the red X for failed install.

post-177469-1216447243_thumb.jpg

Edited by G_DuB24

i just can't seem to get the installer to work, or even do anything at that.

i'm going with your plan A - Making me a nice installer. :whistle:

and, so you don't have to register, i have uploaded the CAL ACS application onto filefront.

CAL ACS

MY PROGRESS

i realized that these are dos commands and i used the DIRCOPY command to copy my "CAL Maps" folder to

DIRCOPY "Install\CAL\CAL Maps" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\CAL Maps"

Now, seeing how this installs (copies) fine with WPI, i figured i could use the FILECOPY command to do the same thing for my ACS program seeing how i just need the application on the desktop. I want to place the contents of the CAL ACS folder onto the users Start Menu Programs List and the ACS application also on the desktop (don't care if its another copy or a shortcut). To place the contents onto the Start Menu Programs List, i used this command:

DIRCOPY "Install\CAL\CAL ACS" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\CAL"

I guess all i need to know how to do from here is to place a shortcut onto the desktop. I tried using the FILECOPY command, but i does not work with the .exe. It did work, however, with the text file that i tried. Does FILECOPY not work with .exe files? This is the command that i tried to use. It is in the CMD2 line, under the above DIRCOPY command.

This one did not work:

FILECOPY "Install\CAL\CAL ACS\cal acs.exe" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\cal acs.exe"

This one did work:

FILECOPY "Install\CAL\CAL ACS\filecopy.txt" "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop\filecopy.txt"

what am i not doing? :blink:

I understand what the winrar installer is intened to do, but i cant get mine to work right. WPI starts the install, finishes the install, but nothing happens. Not folders are created, and no icons are on the desktop. HELP :wacko:

Edited by G_DuB24

Not sure why it's not working for you. Anyway here's a sample or you can use this.

http://files.filefront.com/cal+acsexe/;111...;/fileinfo.html

What this does is, creates a folder named CAL_ACS in C:\Program Files\CAL_ACS, put the file cal_acs.exe in there, and creates a shortcut on the desktop.

In WPI the command would be something like

cmd2[pn]=["%wpipath%\\Install\\CAL\\cal_acs.exe"];

Not sure why it's not working for you. Anyway here's a sample or you can use this.

http://files.filefront.com/cal+acsexe/;111...;/fileinfo.html

What this does is, creates a folder named CAL_ACS in C:\Program Files\CAL_ACS, put the file cal_acs.exe in there, and creates a shortcut on the desktop.

In WPI the command would be something like

cmd2[pn]=["%wpipath%\\Install\\CAL\\cal_acs.exe"];

--------------------------

that is SO weird. That is exactally how i have it too. Im guessing im packaging my installer incorrectly, but i did follow the exact steps that kel gave me. i'll try the one u got and let u know how it goes. thanks guys!!!

---------------------------

:thumbup i works!!! :thumbup so obviously i'm doing something wrong when im creating my installer. I'm going to compare my installer with your to figure out where i went wrong. i can sleep now... :wacko:

Edited by G_DuB24