KDW / FCWIN2K

Unfortunately it looks as if you're going to have to do this the hard way!

:(

You need to remove all the evidence of the previous installations so the WMP9 installer can't see them.

Cut and paste the Windows Media Player folder somewhere else away from within the Program Files folder.

Also remove all the files beginning with "wmp" from your system32 folder, and back them up somewhere.

Then open regedit, and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer.

Right click and save this key to a backup file. Then delete the original key.

I would strongly advise this backing up process of the registry key and the WMP files, in case it all goes wrong and you have to restore the system back to as it was before. Just deleting them is a bit risky!

Then reboot, and try the WMP9 installer again.

With a bit of luck it will now work, and you'll have WMP9 back again.

Then you can delete your backups!

Good luck.

Dave.

:)

It should be noted that Windows Media Player 9 includes Roxio or Adaptec (I forgot which version is actually used) CD burning engines.

If a newer version of the burning engines are installed on the same Windows instance and Windows Media Player 9 is then installed, a blue screen error will appear on reboot (and reboots into normal mode after that). The DivX Player (6.x versions) are examples of applications that use newer versions of the Roxio or Adaptec burning engines

Applications that Roxio or Adaptec burning engines should be installed in ascending order of the version of its included burning engine components.

Windows MediaPlayer files will be deleted when the dialogbox "Detected Media Player 10, Delete it and continue?" comes up,and press ok.

And you have to terminate WMP10 Splash Screen for installation WMP 7 or 9.

I receive the follow a message that it can isntall it because an error occured in installation, and to I restar the computer again, when I restar it shows me the same message, and now I don't have Windows Media Player.

What error it shows during installation ?

I just wanted to say a huge Thank You! to win2000 for his hard work creating this program and his generosity in sharing it with us.

The problem of developers making their software XP only (when it's perfectly capable of running on Windows 2000) was becoming an increasing annoyance for me. It seems even small shareware programs are now starting to prevent Windows 2000 capability for no good reason at all.

A couple of months ago I heard about an API wrapper that was created for fixing gaming applications (but which supposedly also worked 'sometimes' for non-gaming apps too). By the time I got round to trying to download this API wrapper, the link was broken and the web site domain was no longer registered (http://win2kgaming.siteburg.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7). So I tried to search for alternative download links and that's when, by accident, I found KDW!

From what I can see, KDW is an even better solution than the one that I was originally looking for.

I have to admit that when I first looked at the KDW web site (and the instructions in this thread) I was really daunted by how complicated the whole process seemed to be, but having now got the hang of it, it's really not been that difficult so far. I just think the instructions are worded a bit confusingly because they're written by someone for whom English is not their native language and all the options shown at once on fcwin2k.exe is a bit scary.

Anyway, I have managed to patch a couple of XP only MSI installers (which allowed the software to work just fine without any further adjustment). There was a third program (Camtasia Studio) that installed fine after the MSI patch, but the executables would not run. So I patched the executables too and now all 6 applications run perfectly (and all it took was 2 button clicks!).

KDW has been a real life saver seeing as more and more software is needlessly being released in XP/Vista only format, so I just wanted to show my appreciation to win2000 for providing such a great fix for this problem.

:thumbup

I just wanted to say a huge Thank You! to win2000 for his hard work creating this program and his generosity in sharing it with us.

+1 !

I have to admit that when I first looked at the KDW web site (and the instructions in this thread) I was really daunted by how complicated the whole process seemed to be, but having now got the hang of it, it's really not been that difficult so far. I just think the instructions are worded a bit confusingly because they're written by someone for whom English is not their native language and all the options shown at once on fcwin2k.exe is a bit scary.

Care to share your experience by writing down a 'how-to' and posting to this forum ?

That would be very nice ! I for one haven't jumped in yet for the reason you stated above, confusing-looking instructions on the Japanese site, compounded with the fact that I have a non-English (and non-Japanese!) version of Windows. It sure would help me and, I bet, many others, to look-up better worded English instructions.

And if Win2000 (praise to him) became interested, you might eventually arrange to have your international instructions added to his site too. Just a dream...

Care to share your experience by writing down a 'how-to' and posting to this forum ?

That would be very nice ! I for one haven't jumped in yet for the reason you stated above, confusing-looking instructions on the Japanese site, compounded with the fact that I have a non-English (and non-Japanese!) version of Windows. It sure would help me and, I bet, many others, to look-up better worded English instructions.

And if Win2000 (praise to him) became interested, you might eventually arrange to have your international instructions added to his site too. Just a dream...

I was a bit frightened by this at first too, but I've had a lot of success with it.

Here's my guide to how at least the system file substitution bit works (I think!)

The main system file substitution program is KDLLINST.EXE.

When you unzipped the program to its folder, it should have determined the paths to your system files in the system32 folder, and the backups in the DLLCache folder.

These paths should be displayed at the top of the program GUI.

It appears to display a Japanese character in place of the "\" character, but this does not seem to matter.

The "Wrapper" path is the path to the replacement modified files which will be used.

The "EzInstall" path will be the path to the executable which is to be patched to work in EzInstall mode.

This does not actually replace the system files in the system32 folder, but instead puts them in the folder with the program that you're trying to get to work under Windows 2000, using a more traditional "wrapper" system.

To use the program in "full" mode, where it will actually change your system files for the modified versions, you need to click on the box beside each file that you want to change.

The versions of the original and substitute will be displayed if "Version Disp" is checked.

"EZ KD Registry" must be checked, as that puts the necessary entry in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\ExcludeFromKnownDlls

key. If the system files concerned are not listed there, the "EzInstall" method will not work, as the system will always use the files in the system32 folder, and ignore any others.

In fact I found that tampering with that key caused my system to refuse to start even using full mode, so always keep it checked!

When you've selected the files that you want to change, hitting the "Start Setup" button should bring up a screen telling you what substitutions the program is going to make, and prompting a reboot.

You can do as many or as few files at a time as you wish, but I found that some actually needed several attempts before they "stuck".

When the file has been substituted correctly, it will say "same version" beside it.

I found that three files, Shlwapi, Esent, and SHFOLDER were being apparently substituted with versions with lower version numbers, and in fact this caused Windows Auto Update to cry that I had lost an Internet Explorer cumulative security update, and wanted to install it again.

For that reason I have left those files as they were.

The first four files listed are the important ones for getting most XP programs to run I suspect.

If you want to undo this, just check "Uninstall Mode" and click next to the files you want to restore to their original versions. That has worked fine for me several times while I've been experimenting.

To use "EzInstall" mode, do the same thing but browse ("Refer") for the folder where the program you want to patch is so the path is in the "EzInstall" field.

Select the files you need as before, but this time hit the "Ez Install" button.

I managed to get Quicktime 7.5 and WMP10 to work using this.

In fact I found that using them didn't actually give me any real advantages over the versions I already had, so I went back to them, but the fact that the newer versions could be made to work at all amazed me.

Win2000 is a genius!

I hope this is useful.

If so I'll write something similar about the "other bit" the FCWIN2K.EXE program.

:)

Edited by Dave-H