KDW / FCWIN2K

Hi WildBill.

I can't check your patch, cause of different language OS.

You can check here on your environment.

I checked third party's patch with this code.

I'm interested in how you expand the code section size of shell32.dll which is include Windows2000-KB2286198-x86-ENU.EXE.

If I can do it, I take easy add function directly in DLLs. :)

Sincerely

Would you be able to determine if my patch closes the security hole?

Thanks for the link. I tried tests A and B, and my patch blocks it in test A (viewing the link), but not test B (double-clicking on the link to execute it). As for making the patch, I broke down and bought a copy of IDA Pro Standard and the Hex-Rays decompiler ($$$!). I expanded the code section and patched the PE header in IDA so that I could add code. It was a VERY painful process, so much so that I've started working on a simple tool to do it instead. I think I can have the tool ready enough in a couple of days so that it will be useful.

Edited by WildBill

Hi, WildBill.

I think that it is no problem to fail test B.

The security hole is execution program without command.

Thanks for the link. I tried tests A and B, and my patch blocks it in test A (viewing the link), but not test B (double-clicking on the link to execute it).

• 1 month later...

Hi, SearanoX.

*Safari

Although Safari works on Windows 2000 with KDW, Windows 2000 can't draw correctly combobox in Safari 4.x.

I wonder you had better use Chrome or Lunascape, if you want to use webkit browser.

The reason of need ws2_32.dll of chrome installer, there may be bugs in free resource function of new Webkit's dll.

If you want to install Safari on Windows 2000 with Ez Install mode, you check EzKD Registry in KDllinst.exe.

what about newest KDW and Safari 5.0x, blackwingcat?

also, is there any chance of implementing XP's "Cleartype" feature into Win2000? A bunch of Win2k users were wondering how to get Cleartype into Win2000 and so far nobody has the solution.

Cleartype has been added (unofficially) into the Revolutions Pack 9.x for Windows 98 & ME.

This is OT, but blackwingcat, have you seen the LNK patch I posted in the Win2k forum? If it effectively closes the vulnerability it might be useful to you since it can be slipstreamed, etc. Unfortunately I don't know how to test it to see if it closes the security hole.

where is that unofficial Win2000 LNK patch, WildBill? I cant find it.

Hi, erpdude8

what about newest KDW and Safari 5.0x, blackwingcat?

also, is there any chance of implementing XP's "Cleartype" feature into Win2000? A bunch of Win2k users were wondering how to get Cleartype into Win2000 and so far nobody has the solution.

Safari 5.x has same problem as 4.x.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi blackwingcat!

I finally got around to trying your solution to Safari and it works great! I haven't gotten any errors or having the system shut down on me. But now I know there's a way to install Windows Media Player 11 but I really don't know how to do it and have it work. Could you provide me instructions on how to get it going like you did with Safari? If not, I do have the Windows Media Player 10 installation but I can't remember how I got it working last time. For some reason, your blog always shows up as page not found on my connection so it's really hard to get the instructions on how to install that too. If I can get either of those working again, I'd be really happy. I really appreciate all your hard work, blackwingcat, you're awesome. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, SearanoX.

We can install WMP11 in Windows 2000.

But I don't think it is worth for Windows 2000 because it doesn't work DRM. (Perhaps it reasons by crypto provider problems.)

Hi blackwingcat!

I finally got around to trying your solution to Safari and it works great! I haven't gotten any errors or having the system shut down on me. But now I know there's a way to install Windows Media Player 11 but I really don't know how to do it and have it work. Could you provide me instructions on how to get it going like you did with Safari? If not, I do have the Windows Media Player 10 installation but I can't remember how I got it working last time. For some reason, your blog always shows up as page not found on my connection so it's really hard to get the instructions on how to install that too. If I can get either of those working again, I'd be really happy. I really appreciate all your hard work, blackwingcat, you're awesome. :)

Hi blackwingcat,

I should've thought of that about Windows Media Player 11. I'm perfectly fine with Windows Media Player 10. I just don't know how to install it. I have the installer but I'm not sure how to replace the DLLs and since my internet connection doesn't like your blog (it just acts like your blog is non-existant), I can't really find detailed instructions. I saw a few of the pics in the beginning of this thread but it really didn't help me much. If you could post some basic instructions on what DLLs to replace, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Something else that is irking me with Windows 2000 is the new Who Wants to be a MIllionaire SB game. It installed and runs on Windows 2000 but there's absolutely no sound that'll play. I know it heavily relies on .ogg format but I also noticed it relies on wmvcore.dll, another reason I want to try upgrading my WMP to a later version to see if it'll work. The game itself says it needs XP+ but I see no reason in the world why it isn't fully compatible with Windows 2000. The latest DirectX doesn't make a difference and as far as I know, it doesn't use any special sound effects.

Edited by SearanoX

Hi, SearanoX.

The reason why I don't make WMP11 installer for Windows 2000, is WMP11 DRM doesn't work on Windows 2000.

If you want to play ogg file on WMP10, you had better use ogg Direct show filter.

I use RadLight Ogg filter,

Hi blackwingcat,

I should've thought of that about Windows Media Player 11. I'm perfectly fine with Windows Media Player 10. I just don't know how to install it. I have the installer but I'm not sure how to replace the DLLs and since my internet connection doesn't like your blog (it just acts like your blog is non-existant), I can't really find detailed instructions. I saw a few of the pics in the beginning of this thread but it really didn't help me much. If you could post some basic instructions on what DLLs to replace, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Something else that is irking me with Windows 2000 is the new Who Wants to be a MIllionaire SB game. It installed and runs on Windows 2000 but there's absolutely no sound that'll play. I know it heavily relies on .ogg format but I also noticed it relies on wmvcore.dll, another reason I want to try upgrading my WMP to a later version to see if it'll work. The game itself says it needs XP+ but I see no reason in the world why it isn't fully compatible with Windows 2000. The latest DirectX doesn't make a difference and as far as I know, it doesn't use any special sound effects.

• 3 weeks later...

I read on KDW and I liked a lot. I would like to know if he works in Windows 2000 SP4 in the Portuguese of Brazil language.

I tried to do the download but I didn't get, appeared Bad GateWay.

In the worst of the hypotheses there is some thing that I can do to have some of the advantages of who it uses this wonderful patch?

At once I thank.

Hi, rodrigokleinmc.

I think that KDW works on other language for example Portuguese.

When your browser not send refer or redirect from other site , It appeares 'Bad GateWay'.

I read on KDW and I liked a lot. I would like to know if he works in Windows 2000 SP4 in the Portuguese of Brazil language.

I tried to do the download but I didn't get, appeared Bad GateWay.

In the worst of the hypotheses there is some thing that I can do to have some of the advantages of who it uses this wonderful patch?

At once I thank.