KDW / FCWIN2K

A couple of months ago I heard about an API wrapper that was created for fixing gaming applications (but which supposedly also worked 'sometimes' for non-gaming apps too). By the time I got round to trying to download this API wrapper, the link was broken and the web site domain was no longer registered (http://win2kgaming.siteburg.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7).

Here it is:

http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7

I've not yet tried it myself, but

'oldcigarette' says of this fix:

"This is a collection of my various API fixes for compatibility with XP games. Unlike most other API fixes these are not EXE hacks! These are DLL wrappers which means only the portions of code that are XP specific are changed, your windows 2000 code is left intact! These strive for a high level of compatibility so that they can be used for ANY game. Also my kernel32 wrapper has additional features such as GetVersion faking and other options that may be useful. Below is the latest readme, if your game is missing one of the API calls listed it is likely this pack will fix it!"

P.S. I'd also like to say a big THANK YOU to 'win2000' for his fix...not tried it yet, but I will....

Edited by bikerbrom

Hi,

I bought new PC (Lenovo X200) and now I'm setting Windows 2000 and other environment.

Soon , I'll be able to develop again.

I think that I'll create the portuguese version WMP10.

Please translate the following attachment text to portuguese. and tell me the font face on your notepad.exe with Ansi .

tmpltwmp.txt

Glad you're up and running again win2000.

Don't burn out this machine!

;)

I hope you might be able to now find out what the problem is that AVS Video Tools has with your modified kernel32.dll file.

Also, could I put in yet another request (I realise that you've been getting loads!)

I keep running into .ivr video files.

These are coded using a Real Media codec, and can only be played using Real Player 11 or later.

Of course on Windows 2000 (and Windows 98) you can only use Real Player 10.5, which recognises ivr files but won't play them.

I haven't been able to find any other player which will handle them, even the latest VLC Media Player doesn't want to know.

Is there any possibility of making Real Player 11 work on Windows 2000?

Cheers, Dave.

:)

Hi,

I bought new PC (Lenovo X200) and now I'm setting Windows 2000 and other environment.

Soon , I'll be able to develop again.

I think that I'll create the portuguese version WMP10.

Please translate the following attachment text to portuguese. and tell me the font face on your notepad.exe with Ansi .

Ok, I translated it:

Lucida Console -> Font

Script -> Ocidental

Download:

tmpltwmp.txt

It worked! Thanks Dave!

Unfortunately it looks as if you're going to have to do this the hard way!

:(

You need to remove all the evidence of the previous installations so the WMP9 installer can't see them.

Cut and paste the Windows Media Player folder somewhere else away from within the Program Files folder.

Also remove all the files beginning with "wmp" from your system32 folder, and back them up somewhere.

Then open regedit, and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MediaPlayer.

Right click and save this key to a backup file. Then delete the original key.

I would strongly advise this backing up process of the registry key and the WMP files, in case it all goes wrong and you have to restore the system back to as it was before. Just deleting them is a bit risky!

Then reboot, and try the WMP9 installer again.

With a bit of luck it will now work, and you'll have WMP9 back again.

Then you can delete your backups!

Good luck.

Dave.

Hi,

RP11 can work on KDW , can't it?

I described on my blog.

It requires kernel32.dll, user32.dll, msvcrt.dll, uxtheme.dll of KDW DLLs.

These are coded using a Real Media codec, and can only be played using Real Player 11 or later.

Of course on Windows 2000 (and Windows 98) you can only use Real Player 10.5, which recognises ivr files but won't play them.

I haven't been able to find any other player which will handle them, even the latest VLC Media Player doesn't want to know.

Is there any possibility of making Real Player 11 work on Windows 2000?

Cheers, Dave.

WMP10 for Win2000 already have installed DXVA1 patch. Can you watch DXVA1 ?

It is possible to install wmfdist11 but there are some problem.

Please tell me how to check playing DXVA1. ;)

how can i install wmfdist11 (Windows Media Format Runtime 11) on win2000? i want to use DXVA1 to play wmv. is this possible?

Hi,

RP11 can work on KDW , can't it?

I described on my blog.

It requires kernel32.dll, user32.dll, msvcrt.dll, uxtheme.dll of KDW DLLs.

Thanks win2000, I didn't realise that Real Player 11 was one of the applications that does work on Windows 2000 if KDW is installed. That's great news.

:thumbup

Unfortunately if it needs your kernel32.dll installed, I can't do it because I still have the problem that my AVS Video Converter won't work anymore if your kernel32.dll is installed.

If you can find a fix for that it would be great.

It's strange because AVS Video Tools is a Windows 2000 and XP compatible program, so I don't understand why it doesn't like a modifed kernel32.dll file with XP entry points added, because surely they are there in the "proper" XP dll!

Very strange.

Hi.

Any chance of sorting out the problem with AVS Video Tools?

It seems protection from cheat by DLL injection as same as nProtect technology, cause of AVS is shareware.

They will play in Real Player 11, but as far as I know in nothing else.

I see, I wonder that irv files can be played as I play the rm and ram files on WMP 10.

I think only that If there is any sample irv file , I try it on WMP10.

Hi.
Any chance of sorting out the problem with AVS Video Tools?

It seems protection from cheat by DLL injection as same as nProtect technology, cause of AVS is shareware.

AVS isn't actually shareware, it is a paid-for commercial program.

I do have a licence BTW! ;)

Is there likely to be any way around this?

It won't work using the EzInstall trick that I used to get my Norton Utilities working BTW, I've already tried.

:no:

They will play in Real Player 11, but as far as I know in nothing else.

I see, I wonder that irv files can be played as I play the rm and ram files on WMP 10.

I think only that If there is any sample irv file , I try it on WMP10.

I'm pretty sure that they won't play on any version of WMP.

If VLC Media Player can't play them, I'd be very surprised if WMP 10 or 11 can.