KDW / FCWIN2K

Following I replied before.

It is defficult, cause of AVS detect wrapper dll and exclude them. :wacko:

Hi win2000.

:hello:

Can I get any answer as to whether there's any hope of my AVS Video Tools working with your kernel32.dll installed?

I'd like to know as it affects how I want to configure my machine from now on.

Thanks for all you do.

:thumbup

I tried installing it and it made my PC unable to boot (not even into safe mode). I had to pull my SATA hard drive, plug it into my laptop (thank God I had a USB-SATA kit!!!) and copy the original DLL's back from the laptop. It's possible that I did something wrong installing it, but I don't really know. I saw a lot of buttons on the main window and it wasn't clear what to do when installing.

I posted a guide on page 4 of this thread which I thought would be helpful.

Have a look and see if it does help explain how to use KDLLINST.

Especially "EZ KD Registry" must be checked or you will risk BSODs on start-up.

Note that the "Japanese character" in the paths mentioned seems to have been fixed in the latest version.

:)

Edited by Dave-H

Following I replied before.

It is defficult, cause of AVS detect wrapper dll and exclude them. :wacko:

Hi win2000.

Can I get any answer as to whether there's any hope of my AVS Video Tools working with your kernel32.dll installed?

I'd like to know as it affects how I want to configure my machine from now on.

Thanks for all you do.

:thumbup

Oh dear, that sounds like bad news!

From what you say this probably can't be worked around.

I take it that AVS has to have the original kernel32.dll in the system32 folder for it to work.

I assume that this is some sort or anti-piracy measure, and presumably there are other programs that will have the same problem.

:(

If you find a fix or workaround, let me know!

:D Thanks very much, win2000, for your reply!

To make sure I understood accurately, here are my questions and your replies, with my understanding added in square brackets, where needed:

Did you use google chrome installer ?
No, I didn't install it yet, I was waiting for your advice and to find out if it is possible. B)
I know this [Gears] is now included with Chrome, but isn't it still possible to install it separately?
Reply:
you must use it [you must install Chrome] for using google gears.
I see. You are saying if Gears is to work with Windows 2000, it must be only through the Gears/Chrome installation. You are saying, even though IE6+ is already on my system, just installing Gears, alone, will not work under Windows 2000.

I was confused because the Gears download page appears (am I mistaken in this?) to be offering Gears as a separate installation.

I also described about google gears for windows 2000 on my blog.

My Blog (Japanese)

I have it open now in another window, using the Google Japanese -> English translation.

I think before I do anything, given the quality of the translation, I should first post my understanding of what you are saying here, for your approval! ;)

Chrome's gears doesn't work without install chrome but unpack 7z and copy.

And please install it separately.

IE and Firefox's google gears are different from google chrome's.

You must download and install each one.

You had better use chrome2k installer on my blog. :rolleyes:

I know this [Gears] is now included with Chrome, but isn't it still possible to install it separately?
Reply:
you must use it [you must install Chrome] for using google gears.
I see. You are saying if Gears is to work with Windows 2000, it must be only through the Gears/Chrome installation. You are saying, even though IE6+ is already on my system, just installing Gears, alone, will not work under Windows 2000.

I was confused because the Gears download page appears (am I mistaken in this?) to be offering Gears as a separate installation.

Chrome's gears doesn't work without install chrome but unpack 7z and copy.

And please install it separately.

IE and Firefox's google gears are different from google chrome's.

You must download and install each one.

I see. You are saying, Gears is specific to each browser, and the installer you have developed for Windows 2000 is for the Gears/Chrome combination, not for the others. So, you are saying, not to bother with Gears for my exising MSIE6+ installation, but instead install Gears/Chrome (and get a second, but newer, browser at the same time). :)

I think I have understood correctly?

I will work on your Gears/Chrome/for Win2K installation as my next project. At the moment I am working with the developer of Sandboxie (Ronen Tzur) to get one small bug, that appeared under Windows 2000, out of the most recent beta build. IMO, Windows 2000 running under Sandboxie has better protection and security on the Internet, than does Vista. :D

Then, when all is running well, I will turn to getting Gears. Thanks so much for sharing your efforts for others who appreciate, and want to continue with Windows 2000!! :thumbup

RonCam

Hi , I tried to install MVS2005SP1.

vhdmount.exe and vhdbus.sys can run on windows 2000, but vhdstor.sys can't work , it use unsupported kernel API.

Hi Win2000 ..! Using your system, is it possible to install and run Microsoft "vhdmount.exe" utility under Win 2k ?

Just thought I'd record a few issues I've had with KDW, just so if anyone else runs into them they'll know what's happening.

Firstly, as I've been discussing with win2000, there are some things which will stop working if some of the KDW system files are actually installed in the system32 folder, rather than using the "Ezinstall" mode.

AVS Video Tools is one of them, and there doesn't seem to be any workaround for this.

It won't work if the original kernel32.dll is replaced.

Another one I've discovered is that some Microsoft Update patches won't install if shell32.dll is replaced.

This seems to apply mainly to Microsoft Office updates.

I've had several fail even when using the standalone installer, and restoring the original shell32.dll fixes this.

Also some Installshield installers won't work if the KDW user32.dll is installed.

The symptom is that after unpacking all you get is a window with "1158:" in it, nothing else.

Pressing OK aborts the install.

Opera and Google Earth installers are two I've found to have that problem.

Restoring the original user32.dll fixes it.

***EDIT: This last problem is now fixed in the latest KDW versions*** :thumbup

Don't misunderstand me, I think that KDW is a great piece of work, and win2000 is to be highly congratulated for what he's achieved here, but any system which involves replacing system files, even using wrappers, is almost bound to cause some unwanted side effects. All of these can be worked around of course, I'm just bringing them to people's attention.

Dave.

Edited by Dave-H

Hi,

Did you use kdw ver 0.70 ?

I just have noticed kernel32, user32 and shell32 compile miss and on KDW 0.70.

cause of changing environment new my pc.

I released Ver 0.70a.

If there are still some problem, please use kernel32.dll in KDW ver 0.68a .

Also some Installshield installers won't work if the KDW user32.dll is installed.

The symptom is that after unpacking all you get is a window with "1158:" in it, nothing else.

Pressing OK aborts the install.

Opera and Google Earth installers are two I've found to have that problem.

Restoring the original user32.dll fixes it.

I see . :yes: We will accept it.

AVS Video Tools is one of them, and there doesn't seem to be any workaround for this.

It won't work if the original kernel32.dll is replaced.

Another one I've discovered is that some Microsoft Update patches won't install if shell32.dll is replaced.

This seems to apply mainly to Microsoft Office updates.

I've had several fail even when using the standalone installer, and restoring the original shell32.dll fixes this.

Edited by win2000

Hi win2000,

I've installed KDW 0.70a but nothing seems to have changed.

I wasn't expecting that the issue with AVS Video Tools would change, but the Installshield problem hasn't changed either.

If you want to try it, the Opera installer is here -

http://www.opera.com/download/

The US English version gives the "1158:" error message.

IIRC the international version just doesn't work at all.

It all comes good if the original user32.dll is replaced.

I can't test the problem with the MS Update patches as I just get a message that they're already installed if I try them now!

I'll have to wait until there's some new ones to check that problem out.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi,

Thx and I checked opera browser.

and fixed user32.dll.

I released KDW 0.72. :)

The US English version gives the "1158:" error message.

IIRC the international version just doesn't work at all.

It all comes good if the original user32.dll is replaced.

Hi again Win2000!

More testing!

I notice that you offer support for Windows Movie Maker 2.6 with KDW.

I've been occasionally using version 1.2, which works under Windows 2000 anyway, but is very limited.

I've now installed 2.6 using FCWIN2K to hack the msi installer, and it seems to install and sort of work, but a lot of the icons on the GUI indicating undo/redo etc. are blank, as are the thumbnails for the video transitions and the video effects. Can that be fixed?

Also selecting the "Import video" and "Import audio or music" options don't do anything.

Can that be fixed?

Cheers, Dave.

EDIT: Also I'm getting a crash in GDI+ when I exit the program............

:(

Edited by Dave-H