Thanks again win2000.
I was coming to the conclusion myself that the variable play speed option in WMP was an OS version based enhancement, and nothing to do with the player version.
In fact something I read on the MS site implied that it is in fact there in WMP 9 if you use it under XP.
That being the case, there isn't a lot of point in me having WMP 10 on my system.
It looks a bit prettier than WMP 9, but if it doesn't actually give me any extra facilities when run under Windows 2000, there isn't any real advantage in having it.
The mobile devices management facility didn't seem to work either.
A new icon for it appeared in my Windows Control Panel, but it wouldn't actually do anything.
I have no mobile devices anyway, so I won't miss it!
I have uninstalled WMP 10 successfully, and gone back to 9.
Can I just ask one more thing about Quicktime 7.5?
It is working perfectly except for one thing.
I don't know if you have the "pro" version.
If you haven't you probably haven't run into this issue as the facility isn't there on the free version.
There is a facility to apply a mask to movies in the "movie properties" dialogue in Quicktime 7.
This has always worked fine for me, and I do in fact use it quite a lot.
I now find with 7.5 on Windows 2000 that it doesn't work anymore.
When I try to add a mask to a movie, the application always immediately crashes.
Norton Crashguard reports "QuickTimePlayer caused fault #c0000005 in QTOControl.dll".
Strangely, with movies which have been masked previously the mask can be changed without any crash.
However if the mask is removed completely and the movie re-saved, it crashes if I try to add the mask again.
Any ideas on this?
QTOControl.dll seems to be what interfaces QT with the OS, so it could well be that the problem does indeed lie there.
It is odd that everything seems to work perfectly except for that one function though.
The only other slight anomaly I've noticed is that if you save a movie from the browser plug-in (again only possible with the "pro" version) when you save it puts up the save dialogue correctly, but on pressing "save" it saves the file but then pops up the save dialogue a second time! In fact it pops up the previous save folder that was used, not the last one, which is very odd. This isn't a severe problem obviously, but may be a clue as to what's happening elsewhere.
Sorry to keep coming up with problems, I think you've done a great job getting these things to work on a supposedly incompatible OS in the first place, but if it's something easy to fix I thought you should know.