Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

KDW / FCWIN2K

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

erpdude8

erpdude8

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts
  • Joined 24-November 04
Happy new year 2010.

Latest KDW / FCWIN2K is now 0.81b (just released today)!

I wonder if that will work with latest Google Chrome dev build browser which is 4.0.288.1, along with Apple Quicktime 7.6.5 and Apple Safari 4.0.4 (aka. 531.21.10). I like to try those under my relative's Win2k SP4 computer.

Edited by erpdude8, 08 January 2010 - 08:14 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 828 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
There are several utilities available to extract the files from installers.
I use Universal Extractor, which I've always found works pretty well.
http://www.softpedia...Extractor.shtml
Download this, and open the QuickTime installer file with it.
It will extract all the component files into a folder, including the msi installer files.
:)

Edited by Dave-H, 09 January 2010 - 06:37 PM.

Dual boot Windows 98SE SP2.1a and Windows XP Professional SP3.
Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

I've one other question.
Sorry :blushing:
Is someone who knows why wmp10 shows up in black/gray instead of blue witch is normal in winxp?
Grtz,
Milan

I seem to remember that it looked like that when I installed it too.
(I've uninstalled it again now and gone back to WMP9 as WMP10 didn't give me any advantage that I could use.)
I just assumed that was the default skin for WMP10.
Have you tried the different skins available to see if the look you expected is in fact available?

Windows Media Player 9 was available for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Windows Media Player 9 setup is the same for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

There officially were two installers, one for Windows 98SE/ME/2000 and the other for Windows XP. The files used for setup of Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 2000/XP were identical (the Windows 98SE/ME/2000 installer could be used on Windows XP ti install Windows Media Player 9) in both installers, but the colors and features were different.

The different colors of Windows Media Player 10 on Windows 2000 and Windows XP maybe similar to why colors (and features) were different for Windows Media Player 9 on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The colors and features for the different operating systems may be defined in the Windows Media Player 10 binaries.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi, Ascii2.

Windows Media Player 9 was available for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Windows Media Player 9 setup is the same for Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

There officially were two installers, one for Windows 98SE/ME/2000 and the other for Windows XP. The files used for setup of Windows Media Player 9 for Windows 2000/XP were identical (the Windows 98SE/ME/2000 installer could be used on Windows XP ti install Windows Media Player 9) in both installers, but the colors and features were different.

The different colors of Windows Media Player 10 on Windows 2000 and Windows XP maybe similar to why colors (and features) were different for Windows Media Player 9 on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The colors and features for the different operating systems may be defined in the Windows Media Player 10 binaries.

Because I patched dll in WMP10.

Microsoft made kicke code by os version.
I patched wmp 9,too.

Please see this article
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
BlackWingCat =^^=
http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/

Browncoat

Browncoat

Rebel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

There are several utilities available to extract the files from installers.
I use Universal Extractor, which I've always found works pretty well.
http://www.softpedia...Extractor.shtml
Download this, and open the QuickTime installer file with it.
It will extract all the component files into a folder, including the msi installer files.

I did what you said but still no .msi file from the installer exe .

Browncoat

Browncoat

Rebel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10
Is there a way of reading BWC's site in English without google?
Or how do you do it with an online translator?
It would make it easier to understand the use of his utilities.

Edited by Browncoat, 22 February 2010 - 05:56 AM.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 828 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

I almost got it installed, found GdiPlus.dll and how do i make it usable? Just plunk it into system32? note; I couldn't get into EZ install for some reason.
Therefore i used the dynamic button. Any bloody way to read his website in English without going through google? @#$%&^%$$@!

IIRC just put the dll in the system32 folder, but you may need to then register it.
What was the problem with ezinstall?
It always worked fine for me.

Dual 3.16GHz X5460 Quad Core Xeons with 8GB RAM. Asus AMD Radeon HD5450 Graphics 1920x1080 32 Bit Colour with Large Fonts.

Browncoat

Browncoat

Rebel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

[
IIRC just put the dll in the system32 folder, but you may need to then register it.
What was the problem with ezinstall?

Dunno, button is greyed out,that's why i could wish i could read his site better.
May give up since I'm moving to Linux soon, too much effort just to hear my radio
station with windoze Firefox.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08

Dunno, button is greyed out,that's why i could wish i could read his site better.
May give up since I'm moving to Linux soon, too much effort just to hear my radio

What is it written in button caption ?
I think your system dll is old.
BlackWingCat =^^=

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05
I tried writing a program that could extend the Windows API *on the fly* instead of by replacing DLL's. It basically does two things:

- It intercepts calls to LoadLibraryA/W to redirect API calls
- It intercepts calls to CreateProcessXXX so it can patch the DLL imports table when the process is starting (but before the Windows PE loader can process the header).

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work, and I'm sort of stumped. Like everything else, it's written in Delphi, and it's actually a pretty small program. Would anyone be interested in taking a look at it?

http://www.mediafire...php?nynukoyl5lm

From what I'm seeing, the part that patches the DLL imports table might have a problem somewhere, because when I run some programs that look for a non-2k API call they sometimes hang.

The only API call I have it adding so far is TraceMessage, and the problem that I see is when I try to run the game Overlord. If I patch Overlord's DLL to redirect TraceMessage it works fine, but if I use ExtendAPI instead it doesn't. So I'm stumped.

Edited by WildBill, 18 March 2010 - 10:10 PM.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi WildBill.

I think that there are 3 reasons it does'nt work sometimes.

First reason is API loaded with a few method.

* Static Load.
* Dynamic Load(GetModuleHandle and GetProcAddress)

Second reason is don't be guaranteed fixed address with the exception of kernel32 and user32.

Third reason is one dll is loaded many times from many dlls on certain program.

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work, and I'm sort of stumped. Like everything else, it's written in Delphi, and it's actually a pretty small program. Would anyone be interested in taking a look at it?

BlackWingCat =^^=

Browncoat

Browncoat

Rebel

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Joined 19-January 10

What is it written in button caption ?
I think your system dll is old.

EZ install
what do you mean?

I just don't get how to use your stuff....def a language barrier, like trying to read a Japanese
owners manual of the 1960s, I'm sure you're brilliant but I've decided to move to Mandriva, at least I
can install it on several machines without buying extra licences.

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 828 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06

EZ install
what do you mean?

I just don't get how to use your stuff....def a language barrier, like trying to read a Japanese
owners manual of the 1960s, I'm sure you're brilliant but I've decided to move to Mandriva, at least I

EZ install on KDW is a way of trying to get XP applications to work under Windows 2000 without actually replacing any system dlls in the system32 folder.
You select the folder where the application's executable is, using the "refer" button. Select the dlls you want to use (e.g. kernel32.dll) and press the EZ install button. That transfers the modified dll to the application's folder, along with a wrapper dll.
I did have great success with that while I was still using KDW (I've gone over to XP now :blushing: )
It also creates .local files which go with any executables in the folder. I'm not sure what these do, but they are sometimes necesary for it to work.

Tommy

Tommy

Brooke's Tommy honey <3

• PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 19-February 10
I have Safari working well under Windows 2000, but it crashes instantly as soon as I try to download something. Why is this?
Daily running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 and Windows 98

Posted Image
Posted Image

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05

EZ install
what do you mean?

EZ install on KDW is a way of trying to get XP applications to work under Windows 2000 without actually replacing any system dlls in the system32 folder.
You select the folder where the application's executable is, using the "refer" button. Select the dlls you want to use (e.g. kernel32.dll) and press the EZ install button. That transfers the modified dll to the application's folder, along with a wrapper dll.
I did have great success with that while I was still using KDW (I've gone over to XP now :blushing: )
It also creates .local files which go with any executables in the folder. I'm not sure what these do, but they are sometimes necesary for it to work.

I was going through my Windows Internals 5 book today and it says that Windows uses the .local files to determine which DLLs to load from the application's folder instead of from the WINNT\System32 folder. It also says, though, that the mechanism doesn't work for permanently mapped DLLs or DLLs that they load. That said, blackwingcat is the real expert on how KDW works, of course.

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
I think that you had better see also 'SafeDllSearchMode' :)

I was going through my Windows Internals 5 book today and it says that Windows uses the .local files to determine which DLLs to load from the application's folder instead of from the WINNT\System32 folder. It also says, though, that the mechanism doesn't work for permanently mapped DLLs or DLLs that they load. That said, blackwingcat is the real expert on how KDW works, of course.

BlackWingCat =^^=

buckchow

buckchow
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 21-December 08
BlackWingCat: Do you have any plans to add support for EnumerateTraceGuids in ADVAPI32.DLL?

I only ask because the "setup.exe" that is part of the Visual C++ 2010 redistributable depends on it to run. I've changed the OS and subsystem version values in the "setup.exe" header from 5.01 to 5.00 and the EnumerateTraceGuids function is the only dependency that remains on my system.

FYI, I can complete the setup process by running the "vc_red.msi" installer that is in the same directory as "setup.exe", but it would be nice to be able to run the "setup.exe" file as well. :)

Edited by buckchow, 25 April 2010 - 01:34 AM.

HardDriv'n

HardDriv'n

Resident Know-It-Not

• PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined 24-September 09
I know this has probably been asked before, but how does one install this? Is it supposed to be an automated install/un-install?

I couldn't find a single instance of any English speaker giving instruction on how to install, and uninstall this...

Dave-H

Dave-H

Friend of MSFN

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 828 posts
  • Joined 04-January 06
There is no install/uninstall routine as such. To use KDW, simply unzip the files to a folder of your choosing.
Read the English readme files. They do suffer from some translation problems, but are reasonably clear.
There are two basic program files to run, kdllinst.exe actually installs the dlls to the system32 folder, or the "ezinstall" process just installs them to the folder of the program you want to run.
fcwin2k.exe is a compatibility forcer program to make msi and exe installation files compatible with Windows 2000.
To uninstall, you just delete all these files.

HardDriv'n

HardDriv'n

Resident Know-It-Not

• PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined 24-September 09

There is no install/uninstall routine as such. To use KDW, simply unzip the files to a folder of your choosing.
Read the English readme files. They do suffer from some translation problems, but are reasonably clear.
There are two basic program files to run, kdllinst.exe actually installs the dlls to the system32 folder, or the "ezinstall" process just installs them to the folder of the program you want to run.
fcwin2k.exe is a compatibility forcer program to make msi and exe installation files compatible with Windows 2000.
To uninstall, you just delete all these files.

Okay. I think I understand, thanks.

I attempted to use this with the latest Srware Iron (Google Chrome derivative), and I received an "iswow64" kernel32 error while attempting to install. From what I've read it's related to 64bit OSes, so it's a strange error considering.

Syclone0044

Syclone0044

• 24 posts
  • Joined 01-July 09
Great news! I have just succeeded getting Chrome 4.1.249.1036 (March 2010 version) to work on Win2K using KDW 0.83a.

First I made sure wtsapi32.dll was added to my ExcludeFromKnownDLLs registry and rebooted to take effect.

Then I downloaded Chrome 4.1.249.1036 from here:
http://build.chromiu...i_installer.exe
Saved it to my "Default download folder" so BlackWingCat's Chrome2K can find it, and renamed it to ChromeSetup.exe.

Then I went here:
http://blog.livedoor...ves/360097.html
To download crm2k35a.zip from here:
http://files.me.com/theblackcat/7ypvtl

Then I ran the Chrome2K.exe down the line of buttons and setup.exe CRASHED... but Chrome 4.1 was successfully installed nevertheless! See the result:

Posted Image

Who needs Windows XP with it's Activation & DRM nonsense?

Edited by Syclone0044, 29 April 2010 - 10:39 PM.

HardDriv'n

HardDriv'n

Resident Know-It-Not

• PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Joined 24-September 09
I take it then that this project is done on a case by case basis for the dlls? Pretty much just to get specific programs working, as opposed to something like the KernelEx project?

Chrome is nice, but I'd much rather use source code based Iron.

WildBill

WildBill

• Developer
  • 697 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05
BWC: I've definitely been going to your site waaaaay too much; I spent a few hours last night looking at pages on katakana and now I can recognize ファイル as "File" (literally, fa-ee-ru).

And now my brain hurts. Why couldn't it be something simple, like Spanish? ;)

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08

And now my brain hurts. Why couldn't it be something simple, like Spanish? ;)

I hope to make my blog so.
But I'm not good at English very well. :no:
If you can't understand on my blog , it is easy that you use twitter to contact me.

My Twitter acount is BlackWingCat.
There is a good news, Soon I release OE6SP3 for Windows 2000 English version.
BlackWingCat =^^=

blackwingcat

blackwingcat

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • Joined 31-May 08
Hi, HardDriv'n

KDW Project can use XP Function with 3 way methods.
* Extend DLLs are inserted in System folder.
* Disable SafeDllSearchMode and copy Extend DLLs in Application folder.
* KDW writes and changes Application exe's Link table and forces to link extend Dlls.

Of course The Chrome Installer for Windows 2000 works Iron 3/4, too.

I take it then that this project is done on a case by case basis for the dlls? Pretty much just to get specific programs working, as opposed to something like the KernelEx project?

Chrome is nice, but I'd much rather use source code based Iron.

BlackWingCat =^^=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users