Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RHMMMM

Sysprep and DevicePath - why won't drivers install?

5 posts in this topic

I would really appreciate any help with this:

I'm creating a HII and am having a heck of a time getting drivers to load. I would use the driverpacks, but the image size is an issue and can't include all of them.

I'm building the image on a Dell Optiplex 755. The only driver I loaded was the AHCI SATA driver during the Windows install. All of the other devices were unrecognized and I left them that way. I made my changes to the image.

I have all the drivers and have (manually) enumerated the DevicePath key in the registry - of course I found the Vernalex program after I did it by copying the paths into notepad. I was going to use the OemPnPDriversPath line, but unfortunately, in my org, the drivers HAVE to be on the D: drive - so I did the DevicePath key.

I ran sysprep -mini -reseal. When the machine booted back up, nothing changed. All of the unrecognized devices were still unrecognized. BUT, if I told Device Manager to update the driver, it found the correct one automatically (thru the DevicePath key, I assume.

Should I be running sysprep with the -pnp switch?

I have already seen this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Forcing-PnP-Enum...p;hl=devicepath

Should I run that command (RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers) in a GUIRunOnce script?

I'm baffled as to why the devices didn't auto detect during sysprep. They are all PnP - doesn't sysprep force a driver redetect? Or is that only with the -PnP switch? I thought the -PnP switch was only for nonPnP device detection?

Thanks for any help!

I would really appreciate any help with this:

I'm creating a HII and am having a heck of a time getting drivers to load. I would use the driverpacks, but the image size is an issue and can't include all of them.

I'm building the image on a Dell Optiplex 755. The only driver I loaded was the AHCI SATA driver during the Windows install. All of the other devices were unrecognized and I left them that way. I made my changes to the image.

I have all the drivers and have (manually) enumerated the DevicePath key in the registry - of course I found the Vernalex program after I did it by copying the paths into notepad. I was going to use the OemPnPDriversPath line, but unfortunately, in my org, the drivers HAVE to be on the D: drive - so I did the DevicePath key.

I ran sysprep -mini -reseal. When the machine booted back up, nothing changed. All of the unrecognized devices were still unrecognized. BUT, if I told Device Manager to update the driver, it found the correct one automatically (thru the DevicePath key, I assume.

Should I be running sysprep with the -pnp switch?

I have already seen this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Forcing-PnP-Enum...p;hl=devicepath

Should I run that command (RunDll32.exe Syssetup.dll,UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers) in a GUIRunOnce script?

I'm baffled as to why the devices didn't auto detect during sysprep. They are all PnP - doesn't sysprep force a driver redetect? Or is that only with the -PnP switch? I thought the -PnP switch was only for nonPnP device detection?

Thanks for any help!

Sysprep must also be run with sysprep -bmsd before it's run with sysprep -mini -reseal. You also must specify all your mass storage drivers in the section SysprepMassStorage. You also must put in the Unattended section the below:

[UnAttended]
UpdateInstalledDrivers = Yes
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore

This will tell Sysprep to update the drivers from the location(s) you told it in the registry key Devicepath. You are correct in assuming you don't use the parameter -pnp. IF all of your drivers are correctly enumerated and imported into the registry then Sysprep will install the drivers for you.

But, I don't know if Sysprep just doesn't like that it's on a separate partition. I would try on root and the separate partition.

Also, if you're using Vernalex's scanner don't let it search Windows\INF and see if that makes a difference. OR put it at the end of the line instead of the beginning in DevicePath.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try it tomorrow and update the thread. I'm also going to try some other things I found.

If anyone else has more insight, by all means, I'd appreciate it.

So the advice above worked, plus I used the Vernalex driver scanner.

Thanks!

anyone solve this? i'm in the same boat with a poweredge 2900. any help is appreciated