Windows PE 3.0 ISO Boot Image With PStart Menu for Portable Programs
Universal PE Booting from RAMDISK for Rescue and Install of XP or Windows 7
Making Windows PE 3.0 ISO using AIK for Windows 7
Step 1. The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7
- The Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) for Windows 7
- WLAN HotFix file Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab
- Installed Windows 7 to supply files to improve Windows PE 3.0
- Program Make_PE3.cmd to make in 2 min your pe3.iso Boot Image in folder C:\winpe3_x86
Download KB3AIK_EN.iso from HERE
Use ImgBurn or Nero to Burn the ISO Image on DVD
Install Windows AIK according to:
- In case of Windows 7 Set User Account Control Off or use R-mouse Menu to Run as Administrator
- Run STARTCD.EXE from the AIK DVD
- In case of XP as OS - Install .NET Framework 2.0
- In case of XP as OS - Install MSXML 6.0
- Install Windows AIK
Download WLAN HotFix from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972831
Extract the HotFix to get file Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab
Copy your HotFix file to folder WinPE_OCs
made in Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86 folder.
C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\WinPE_OCs\Windows6.1-KB972831-x86.cab
Step 2. Get Program Make_PE3.cmd to make pe3.iso
Download - Make-PE3
Run the SFX SelfExtractor Make_PE3.exe
and use Extract to the Root of your Workstation Harddisk.
The folder Make_PE3\PE3_mod
contains file WIN7_Files.txt
and 4 folders:
- PE3_add - Add your extra non-driver files in subfolder x86 structured as in Windows PE 3.0
- PE3_reg - x86 subfolder contains 3 predefined Registry files with Windows 7 settings to improve the Registry of Windows PE 3.0
- WIN7_add - Files needed from Installed Windows 7 are collected by the program in subfolder x86
- WIN7_drivers - Add your Driver files e.g. for WLAN in folder x86 (recurse scanning allows subfolders with driver files)
The actual filelist used by the program to get files is the generated WIN7_add_files.txt
copy in folder WIN7_add\x86
In case of 64-bits Operating System then everywhere folder amd64
is used instead of x86
so that 64-bits can have its own list of files.
For 64-bits Operating System you have to make similar registry files from your own Windows 7 Registry.
Step 3. Run Make_PE3.cmd as Administrator to Create Windows PE 3.0 ISO
pe3.iso of about 155 MB has been created in 2 minutes in folder C:\winpe3_x86
Working Directory Folder C:\winpe3_x86 is Created if it does not exist.
File winpe.wim remains unchanged and is copied as file boot.wim to folder C:\winpe3_x86\ISO\sources
The boot.wim file is mounted by imagex.exe
in folder C:\winpe3_x86\mount
Files from WIN7_add\x86
are added to mount by xcopy.exe, Packages and Drivers are added by Dism.exe
The PE3 SYSTEM and SOFTWARE Registry files are improved with Windows 7 Settings using reg import
Then imagex.exe will Unmount and Commit changes in boot.wim
And finally oscdimg.exe
will create the pe3.iso file in folder C:\winpe3_x86
are generated and stay ready for future use.
In Windows 7 OS not using as Administrator results in Errors,
because using imagex.exe reg.exe and dism.exe is Not allowed by User Account Control.
If you made this mistake, you need before the next run to empty folder C:\winpe3_x86\mount
Step 4. Install pe3.iso as GRUB4DOS boot option on HDD or USB
to Install pe3.iso of about 155 MB as GRUB4DOS boot option on HDD or USB
Copy folder PStart or U_XP_SET to Root of HDD or USB drive to provide PStart Menu for portable programs.
Download ppApps_Base!.exe from amalux
for a nice collection of Portable Programs.
Add additional Portable Programs to folder Progs in folder PStart.
Use PStart > Edit > Add file to modify PStart Menu.
GRUB4DOS menu.lst entry
title Boot pe3.iso - ISO
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /pe3.iso
map /pe3.iso (0xff)
Step 5. Reboot with pe3.iso from GRUB4DOS Menu on HDD or USB
Boot with 155 MB pe3.iso in 30 sec from HDD or in 4 min from USB-stick.
Use MultiRes from PStart PE3 System Menu to adjust the Screen Resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels
Using ImDisk Install allows to use mounting e.g. XP Setup ISO in a in a Virtual Drive
If desired, Run CmdHere to add Command Prompt Here
to the R-mouse context menu.
Step 6. Install of XP or Windows 7 AFTER booting with pe3.iso
- If your XP Setup Source is an ISO file, then first install ImDisk driver so that you can mount the ISO in a virtual drive.
- Use PStart > Edit > Add file to select imdiskinst.exe from U_XP_SET\USB_XP_Setup\makebt folder and Run to install ImDisk driver.
- Then Launch Notepad from cmd window or from PStart Menu.
- In Notepad Select File > Open to get the FileSelector which can be used as File Browser for All Files.
- Then with R-mouse on the ISO file you can use the ImDisk context menu to mount the ISO in a Virtual Drive.
If your Setup Source is a folder on HDD or USB or a CD/DVD drive then you don't need to use ImDisk.
from PStart Menu to prepare your Target drive for Install of XP.
Info USB_XP_Setup.exe of U_XP_SET package http://www.911cd.net...showtopic=21883
Launch NT6.X fast installer
from PStart Menu to prepare your Target drive for Install of Windows 7.
Info NT6.X fast installer of fujianabc http://www.boot-land...showtopic=10126
Mounting XPSETUP.ISO in ImDisk Virtual Drive
Windows PE 3.0 with PStart Menu for Portable Programs and having Browse for Folder Support
User Interface of Make_PE3.cmd Batch Program
Windows PE 3.0 with Wireless Internet and PStart Menu for Portable Programs
This post has been edited by wimb: 03 April 2010 - 02:56 AM