Install made with 1.2b is caught in SP1 logon loop

aaroe

I just got myself together and made a Vista install with the vLite 1.2b.

I did like I normally do and integrated the SP1 with my Vista Ultimate x64 and did some tweaking of it - removing unused languages, drivers etc... nothing critical.

I then continued to install it and everything seemed to work fine - untill the installation process was over and I booted the first time. It began to finish step 3 og 3 of the SP1 process and then continued to reboot. This is then repeated over and over again without me getting any control of the system.

I read about this "logon loop" but also read that the 1.2b should try to prevent it, so I assumed I had been unlucky. I then tried to do the whole vLite process over again in hope of me being a bit more lucky this time - but I wasn't.

Any advice on why this logon loop problem happens and how to avoid it when making a vLite install?

Kind regards

Christian Rasmussen, Denmark.

I happens to get the same problem with server 2008.

After looking for the solution in the forum, I fix it!

It's very simple just delete pending.xml in your winsxs folder, which is in your install.wim file.

You can mount the install.wim file using waik, then delete the file. I don't know other ways.

GL

Ok, sounds good that there's a solution for it - but can I make you elaborate on it a bit?

This is my normal procedure for making a vLite install DVD.

1) Copy DVD to HD.

2) Slipstream SP1.

3) Make other tweaks and adjustments.

4) Rebuild.

5) Direct Burn and install.

So if I'm getting what you're saying, there should be file named pending.xml in a folder named winsxs which exists in as part of the data I'll be burning onto the DVD?

So that in order to get it to work correctly, my process of making the vLite install should look like this instead:

1) Copy DVD to HD.

2) Slipstream SP1.

4) Rebuild.

5) Delete pending.xml file from winsxs folder.

6) Direct Burn and install.

...just to be absolutely sure :)

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Christian Rasmussen

Ok, sounds good that there's a solution for it - but can I make you elaborate on it a bit?

This is my normal procedure for making a vLite install DVD.

1) Copy DVD to HD.

2) Slipstream SP1.

4) Rebuild.

5) Direct Burn and install.

So if I'm getting what you're saying, there should be file named pending.xml in a folder named winsxs which exists in as part of the data I'll be burning onto the DVD?

So that in order to get it to work correctly, my process of making the vLite install should look like this instead:

1) Copy DVD to HD.

2) Slipstream SP1.

4) Rebuild.

5) Delete pending.xml file from winsxs folder.

6) Direct Burn and install.

...just to be absolutely sure :)

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Christian Rasmussen

I only have the problem when vliting windows server 2008, so no slipstream is involved.

But I think the order you delete pending.xml doesn't matter as long as it's not there. The file seems recording some update operation after reboot.

Just an advice, it's safer to install the vlited system in a virtual machine first, such as virtualbox.

Thank you for clarifying :)

The VirtualBox thingy seems very interesting. I had a quick look at it and bu judging on the description of the product, it doesn't seem that I can use it. It seems to be strictly x86 and I'm using a x64 Vista Ultimate :(

it's time for the new RC

It doesnt work whit the RC.

Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.1.6 - OK

Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.2 Beta - Logon loop

Tried today Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.2RC - Logon Loop

I'm currently retrying splipstream but whitout removing anything just to see...

it's time for the new RC

It doesnt work whit the RC.

Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.1.6 - OK

Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.2 Beta - Logon loop

Tried today Splipstream + tweaks and remove things whit Vlite 1.2RC - Logon Loop

I'm currently retrying splipstream but whitout removing anything just to see...

I can confirm that - tried yet again last night with the new 1.2RC - still hangs on the SP1-installation during the first boot up. Sigh...

It's very simple just delete pending.xml in your winsxs folder, which is in your install.wim file.

You can mount the install.wim file using waik, then delete the file. I don't know other ways.

GL

Dcatcher, could I ask you to explain where this install.wim file is supposed to exist? I can't seem to find it or the winsxs folder anywhere at any stage when working with vLite?

GL

Dcatcher, could I ask you to explain where this install.wim file is supposed to exist? I can't seem to find it or the winsxs folder anywhere at any stage when working with vLite?

In the DVD root menu:Sources\ folder

I'm more than sure it is not about WLAN... I was getting this loop because of Bitlocker Extras integration, and the funny thing it was fixed not by making less removements, but by making MORE removements, I didn't have time to check which one though.. My guess is system restore or event viewer