Lost "User Accounts" module in Windows XP

xcomme

After nLite, everything is running great so far, except...

I lost "User Accounts" in Control Panel. Clicked it and nothing happened. I could not create another user. In Windows Task Manager, "user Name" column is blank.

Is there anyway to bring it back? Thx

Edited by xcomme

there are a couple of possible culprits, last preset?

My first nLite trial lost too many items, so I was very careful on the 2nd try. Only removed the item I felt they are not necessary.

What are the possible presets which caused this? Is there any way to avoid or bring it back? Thx

You have to use useraccounts2 applet to edit the accounts, since the other one requires IECore. Create a new .reg file, open it with notepad, enter the following in it:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
@="User Accounts 2"
InfoTip"="Starts The Windows 2000 style User Accounts dialog"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\DefaultIcon]
@="%SystemRoot%\\\\System32\\\\SHELL32.dll,111"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}\Shell\Open\command]
@="Control Userpasswords2"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ControlPanel\NameSpace\{98641F47-8C25-4936-BEE4-C2CE1298969D}]
@="Add Userpasswords2 to Control Panel"

Save it and then double click the reg file to integrate it. You should now have useraccounts2 in your control panel.

You have to use useraccounts2 applet to edit the accounts, since the other one requires IECore.

Does it mean this happened to everybody who has removed Internet Explorer, which IECore is part of it?

How much disk space will be needed if IE is added back? (I won't do it, just want to know a little more.) Thx

Edited by xcomme

You have to use useraccounts2 applet to edit the accounts, since the other one requires IECore.

Does it mean this happened to everybody who has removed Internet Explorer, which IECore is part of it?

How much disk space will be needed if IE is added back? (I won't do it, just want to know a little more.) Thx

What I_Broke_My_MHZ is saying is that, since you don't have IE any more (eg IECore) the Standard User Accounts window won't work properly, so instead with the reg hack stated above, you'll use the other User Accounts manager within windows Without needing to install IE.