Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows XP SP3 and USBD.SYS

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

mcabrera

mcabrera
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 11-August 08
Hi All,

A very specific question. After installing a full install of XP SP3, I found that some of my USB devices are no longer supported. Specifically, I found that USBD.SYS is gone after installation. Is the file still supported by Microsoft in SP3? Any idea why it might not be in the MSDN version? Do I have to get the file from my SP2 files?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

JedMeister

JedMeister

• PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Joined 19-July 06
I have no idea. I am running SP3 and its still there on mine (actually I've got it twice, one in drivers and one in dllcache). For interest its version 5.1.2600.0 (so XP SP0). I installed SP3 redistributable version (ie full version ~300MB) over the top of SP2. I think I just downloaded mine from the main MS download. So not sure even if its the same one as you have, I'd assume they'd be the same (but I could be wrong). I'd probably be a little concerned that its gone. Although, personally I'd probably just copy it across from somewhere else if you can, and see if that works.
Don't forget to comment when your problem is solved - others will be searching for solutions too!
PC1 - "thunder" (it's noisy - that bl**dy DFI chipset fan!)
[CPU] AMDX2 4400+ (skt939 Toledo) @ 2.35GHz [Mobo] DFI LanPartyUT nF4 UD [RAM] 2x1GB Team Xtreem Cronus (Infineon) DDR500/PC4000 @ 235MHz
[GPU] Gigabyte 8800GT 512MB [HDD] 2xWD320GB, 2xWD500GB [PSU] Antec Neo HE 500W [OS] Tri boot: Ubuntu 9.10/XP SP3/Win 7-x64
PC2 - "lightning" ('cause in comparison it's very fast!)
[CPU] Intel C2Q Q8200 @ 2.33GHz (skt775 Yorkfield) [Mobo] ASUS P5W?? Pro [RAM] 2x2GB Patriot Viper DDR1066
[GPU] Leadtek 7800GTX 512MB [HDD] Seagate 1.5TB [PSU] Vantec Ion2+ 500W [OS] Dual boot: Ubuntu 10.04/XP SP3

Lilla

Lilla

Junior

• Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Joined 11-May 05

Hi All,

A very specific question. After installing a full install of XP SP3, I found that some of my USB devices are no longer supported. Specifically, I found that USBD.SYS is gone after installation. Is the file still supported by Microsoft in SP3? Any idea why it might not be in the MSDN version? Do I have to get the file from my SP2 files?

For a point of reference, I have MSDN CD containing WinXP Pro + WinXP Home, it is the original (aka Gold), service pack 0. I pulled the Pro portion and integrated SP3 using nLite, then I integrated the latest windows updates and a bit more using HFSLIP, then I removed just a few things using nLite. I used nLite to burn to CD. I used TomCat76's updates list (http://hfslip.org/hflists.html).

After installing from my WinXP Pro w SP3 integrated CD, USBD.SYS is listed in c:\windows\system32\drivers. This is the only place it appears.

Hope this helps,
Lilla

Edited by Lilla, 11 August 2008 - 07:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users