Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Problems integrating Sil 3112 Raid Driver...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Ikky_Phoenix

Ikky_Phoenix

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-February 05
Hi,

I tried to integrate Silicon Image 3112 Raid driver in Windows XP x64 and the instalation says that there is no HD.
Th F6 method works fine.
My board is a DFI LAN PARTY RDX-200 CF-DR
The driver files are these: Sil 3112 x64 Raid Driver
I can't figure out what's wrong.

Any help will be much apreciated.

Thanks

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

Master of trial, error & Google

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
1. Session file always helpful

2. Pretty old version, current one is 1.0.12.0

3. You are integrating the x64-extended (and NOT the Itanium) driver as Textmode rather than PnP?

Ikky_Phoenix

Ikky_Phoenix

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-February 05
Hi Kurt,

1-)Sorry, session.ini is now attached. Attached File  xp64.ini   29.59KB   11 downloads
2-)Any version of the driver that i use, the results are the same: no HD.
3-)Yes, i am integratint the x64-extended as textmode driver.

Thanks

BikinDutchman

BikinDutchman

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 11-January 07
I see you have two Silicon Image drivers installed; that can cause trouble if certain file names are the same. For testing you may get rid of the other one.

Also there are subfolders in your driver package. Personally I would "flatten" the driver: delete the IA64 folder; merge the contents of ext64 in the root and adjust oemsetup.sif accordingly.

For real analysis of the problem you need to look in DOSNET.inf and TXTSETUP.sif and see if all the right files are present and get copied in either textmode or guimode.

This is difficult to spell out; you might look at what happens with a simple integration that works such as forthe Intel AHCI/RAID drivers.

Ikky_Phoenix

Ikky_Phoenix

• 20 posts
  • Joined 13-February 05
Thanks, i will try and report back.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
hi,

im mostly a reader not a poster but after more than a day ive given up solving this problem on my own. as winxp is becoming obsolete i can only hope that someone would take a look at the files attached and tell me what am i missing...

i have a similar problem as above: windows xp x64 pro + sp2 slipstreamed + x64 silicon image sii3512r driver.
ive used the same nlite config and the 32bit drivers on windows xp x86 before without problems, but even the newest x64 drivers are quite old (2007).

i tried to modify txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf based on the 32bit driver files but i guess i missed something. my "expertise" doesnt go beyond the evident: ive cleared up the ia64 sections, corrected the paths to have txtsetup.oem in the same directory as the other files and as a last resort even tried to replace the "dll =" line with "inf =" as ive read somewhere. still no banana.

1. windows xp x64 vanilla + f6 method: everything ok

2. my nlite config without the driver added (f6 - floppy method), tried with the latest and two earlier drivers (the older ones also contain the ia64 directory): "setup could not determine mass storage device" - specify - choose (x64/itanium) - shows the device - setup loads drivers - windows starting up - (formatting etc) - "setup cannot copy the file si3112r.sys"

3. my nlite config + the latest driver included (and only the sii driver): "setup did not find any hdds"

4. modified txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf: same as above.

i dont have oemsetup.sif, i have txtsetup.sif and winnt.sif: the first is way beyond my understanding and the latter i dont think that has anything to do with this problem.

ill try to link the latest original driver, the badly modified one, the session.ini, dosnet.inf and oemsetup.sif.

i really do hope someone could take a look at them and come up with a solution, i cant go back to use vanilla windows for multiple reasons.
sorry if its long, ive decided on giving as much data as possible even if its partly redundant to facilitate finding a soluton.
thanks in advance,
g

original newest driver
modified newest driver
dosnet.inf
session.inf
txtsetup.inf

Edited by galocza, 27 December 2009 - 04:34 PM.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
Just looking at your last session file, you seem to have yanked a fair bit out of the OS. Have you tried it without removing any components?

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
thanks for your reply,
no, this config with winxp 32bit and the 32bit drivers worked fine. i suspect the problem is with the driver package.
i dont expect too much from this but ill try it anyway: a totally basic nlite setup with only the driver added.
thanks for the tip, and i thought i tried anything i could 8)
g

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
galocza, I am not sure what you are saying. What happens when, using the DLed (unmodified original SI) driver, you place the txtsetup.oem into the ext64 folder and point nLite to the .inf in the ext64 folder? I obviously do not understand why you are modifying files. Please give me some more detail. Enjoy, John.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Joined 26-April 07
Well the thing is until you try a disk with just the driver integrated, we can't be sure it's the problem and hence we could be spending all our time barking up the wrong tree.

Also I've had cases where I've loaded Last_Session.ini files posted by others and they prove to be a disaster (BSOD on install), but they work if I enter the values manually.

P.S. I'll be out of contact for the next couple of days.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
thanks for your replies, ive created a few more setups which answer your questions above but unfortunately raises a few more...

5. nlite 2-button + f6 (original driver pack): ok
6. nlite 2-button + f6 (modified driver pack): ok
7. nlite 3-button + original driver integration: "setup did not find any hdds" error
8. nlite 3-button + modified driver integration: "setup did not find any hdds" error
9. nlite old config (winxp x86) + original driver, txtsetup.oem copied together with the other files (as johnhc suggested): "setup did not find any hdds" error

2-button: ive only selected sp slipstreaming and iso making in main nlite menu.
3-button: ive only selected sp slipstreaming driver integration and iso making in main nlite menu (and added only this driver).

there are a few conclusions:
-driver integration NEVER works
-f6 only works with winxp vanilla and nlite "vanilla"
-modified files work (at least as much as the originals)

if you dont have a better any idea the best i can think of is hunting down the setting which prevents nlite to integrate this driver properly. im not that happy about the thought of it - the last time i did this it took a weekend:
Digital Camera USB Dilemma

now i cant think anymore and its almost midnight - i have to go to sleep if i dont want to poison anyone...

thanks,
g

Edited by galocza, 27 December 2009 - 04:58 PM.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
galocza, we know that using OEM Preinstall will cause inclusion of text mode drivers via F6 to fail when using nLite. Please see the Help (? in a circle) next to the OEM Preinstall option in the Unattended section - General tab. I still need you to answer the questions in my last reply. Have fun, John.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
thanks for your reply,
i forgot about the f6 thingy. the truth is i used the same nlite config for 4 years (as i had the same computer this long) and only edited the drivers part when i needed to install a new os - about three times. thanks for pointing this out.
about former questions: i did as you suggested, its number 9. as for the why: BikinDutchman suggested "flattening" the driver earlier in this topic (but i think i read elsewhere too that drivers in subdirs - bad idea). i edited the files because they contained path information and i wasnt sure that nlite can handle the package if these point to wrong places.
cheers,
g

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
galocza, I am suspicious of using an x86 Last Session.ini on an x64 system. I use x64 and know nLite offers different options than it does to x86. I am not sure what to suggest yet, but I would like to see the Last Session for the 9 above. I would also like to see a Windows Explorer screen shot of the AMD64\NLDRV\001 folder in your source folder after running nLite. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I think Kurt_Aust is on to something along with using an x86 Last Session on an x64 system. I suggest you try starting from scratch (including a fresh copy of your CD files/folders) with a printed copy of your original Last Session. Go through all the Tasks/Options and select all the ones presented on your x64 system. Integrate only the SI driver - the unmodified one with only moving the txtsetup.oem folder into the ext64 folder. Please let us know if you fail to find any items in your original Last Session on your x64 system and please let us know the results.

Edited by johnhc, 28 December 2009 - 12:46 PM.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
thanks for your reply.

i will attach the session.ini and the screenshot you asked for (i need to recreate the image as i deleted it along with old session.inis) but im not sure that theres a way to fix this as a clean nlite config with only the driver added also fails to install. see below.

yesterday i created 10 image files. the first 6 had sp slipstreaming, driver integration and iso creation enabled + different combinations of the other options from the main menu (components, options, tweaks).

but i got suspicious: i was asking the wrong question. instead of asking what was wrong is should have asked that could there be anything right.
so my next 3 images were made with absolutely no modification, made from scratch, the only options selected were driver integration (only the sii raid driver of course) and iso creation. the difference was in the driver package: the ususal original/flattened/modified three.
all failed.

so the tenth was created with my old session.ini with everything i wanted but without this driver (but all other drivers added), oem preinstall unchecked and i just installed this setup without problems with the f6 method (btw modified drivers). not happy but at least there will be a system i can use.

so i guess nlite and this specific driver dont like each other - as i never encountered similar problems i guess something is wrong with the driver description files. or i dont know. something.

so altough im diappointed that i couldnt get to the bottom of this, unless you guys come up with some great idea i give up...

Attached Files

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
galocza, I PMed Fernando 1 to have a look. He is the driver expert here. Hope he has a chance to take a gander. Enjoy, John.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
sorry about the delay, yesterday msfn was mostly down, when it wasnt i couldnt change my email address the be able to get notification if theres activity on this board... actually i wrote this yesterday:

thank you,
i will continue the installation of my new sytem because i need it and honestly the old ide drive and temporary os are driving me crazy.
however i will gladly assist in every way i can, eg to create nlite builds with this driver and trying to install them (and report back).
according to the steam survey only 0.45% of their users have winxp x64 and though i dont know how representative is the steam community that number seems low (and i guess more and more people will switch to win7). however sii raid is quite common either as an addon card or integrated to the mainboard.
what im trying to say is that although id like to see a solution im not sure if this is worth all your time and effort.

thanks,
g

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,364 posts
  • Joined 02-March 08
galocza, thanks for your reply and your willingness to do more testing. I am running XP x64 and had a problem with my 3Ware RAID card. I was able to test without actually installing (and wiping out my running Windows). I just booted the CD and let it go till Setup asked me to pick a HDD/partition. When it found my 3Ware RAID, I was good-to-go (then just hit F3). If you look at the link, you will see that Fernando 1 was able to help me. I suspect he will be all over your problem when he is available (I have no response to my PM). I too was unable to access MSFN forums yesterday. Again, thanks for your willingness to test. Enjoy, John.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ galocza:
I am sorry about my late reply. Johnhc has sent me a PM about your problem, but I didn't have the needed time to post here during the past days (holidays and a house full of visitors).

Now to your posted issue with nLite:
If you succeeded with the XP x64 installation by loading the needed Sil3112 RAID driver via F6/floppy, you should be able to get XP x64 installed by using an XP x64 CD with the same integrated textmode driver as well.

Since there are more than 1 possible reasons for the failure of your driver integration tests, I recommend to do the following:

A. Creation of a fresh Windows XP x64 CD with integrated Sil3112 RAID driver by using the tool nLite
Procedure:
  • Use a fresh and untouched Wndows XP x64 SP2 CD (no WINNT.SIF within the AMD64 directory) as source and the latest version of nLite.
  • Don't load any last_session.ini.
  • Just choose the nLite task "Integrate drivers" and "Create ISO file", don't remove, add or tweak anything.
  • Integrate your modified 64bit Sil3112 RAID driver as TEXTMODE driver. Don't integrate any other driver.
  • Let nLite create the ISO file and burn it as bootable Image or let nLite burn the Image directly.
  • Try to get XP x64 installed by booting off the just created CD. Don't press F6 when prompted.
If Windows Setup should not detect your RAID and its partitions, the tool nLite may have a bug regarding the integration of the 64bit Sil3112 driver.
This possibly can be verified by using an other tool, which is able to integrate textmode drivers into a Windows XP x64 CD.
Do the following:

B. Creation of a fresh Windows XP x64 CD with integrated Sil3112 RAID driver by using the tool XP-ISO_Builder
Procedure:
  • Download the actual version of the XP-ISO-Builder (XIB) from >here< and install it as Administrator
  • Use a fresh and untouched Windows XP x64 SP2 CD (no WINNT.SIF within the AMD64 directory) as source.
  • Don't load any previous XIB settings.
  • Just choose the XIB tasks "Controller Drivers" (Menue point 6) and "Creation of the ISO file".
  • Integrate your modified 64bit Sil3112 RAID driver by pointing onto the TXTSETUP.OEM file.
  • Don't use any of the other XIB options.
  • Let the XIB do its work inclusively the creation of the ISO file.
  • Burn the ISO file as bootable Image by using a burning tool.
  • Try to get XP x64 installed by booting off the just created CD. Don't press F6 when prompted.
After having done that, please report here about your results.

Good luck!
Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1, 03 January 2010 - 07:12 AM.

My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
hi Fernando 1,

thanks taking interest in the problem.
A.: failed. not big surprise there, it was the same setup when i gave up 8). did it anyway.
B.: failed

i also recreated all setups with the three drivers (and only with the drivers), because im at the point i cant believe even myself (and i threw out my notes 8). all failed again.
did the same with xp iso builder, same outcome.

i was surprised however that though i did not change anything in xp iso builder (and it was a new install), ran through the menus as you said (except for source dir, driver integration, iso making) the driver files were placed into both the directories

\$OEM$\$$\OEMDIR\
and
\$OEM$\$1\drivers\kdrv0\

as opposed to nlite which places them into
\AMD64\NLDRV\001\
and the .sy_ file also into
\AMD64\

im not sure if this is important but thought id mention it...

another issue: xp iso builder gives an error when integrating the "flattened " pack. not very surprising as txtsetup.oem points to a subdir that doesnt exist - all the driver files are in the same dir as txtsetup.oem. however xp iso buider copied the files just the same, but when installing gave a different error message, that the si3112r.sys file couldnt be found. other configs say that the setup cant find any hard disk drive. i guess this only means that i can forget about the "flattened pack", good news.

btw i had a little too big mouth when i applied for testing. i can do that but since im working from my raid now i can only confirm if the setup finds the raid and is willing to install to it (but i can still install to an old single ide hdd). if we can find a solution where the setup finds the raid and after installing it to the ide drive i can see the raid i will of course backup my raid system and try to install to that too - but only as a last test, being time consuming.

cheers,
g

ps: next week ill have less time on my hand but i guess i can still report back in one day.

Edited by galocza, 03 January 2010 - 11:54 AM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ galocza:

Thanks for having done the requested tests. I really didn't expect these results.

Regarding your report about the XIB message, that Windows Setup couldn't find the si3112r.sys file, I have an additional question:
Is there a file named si3112r.sys within the AMD64 directory of the XP x64 CD, where you booted from?

If there is no such file, please do the following:
1. Open the ISO file created by the XIB with a tool like UltraISO.
2. Copy the file named si3112r.sys from your 64bit Sil3112 RAID driver into the AMD64 directory.
3. Save the just updated ISO file and burn it as bootable CD.
4. Boot off the new CD

Please report here, if this helped.
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
thanks for the quick answer.
this error message only appears with the "flattened" pack that somebody earlier suggested, it is just all files copied together. as in txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf are references to the subdirectory ext64 (which doesnt exist), i suspect this pack is the least probable to work. i think we really should forget about it (unless you advise otherwise) and stick to the original and modified driver packs. the latter is the same but i tried to modify txtsetup.oem and si3112r.inf to have the right paths based on the 32bit drivers - i can only hope that these all right, i cannot be sure.

EDIT START
to answer your question: the only si3112r.* files there are in the "flattened" xib build are in the \$OEM$\$$\OEMDIR\ and \$OEM$\$1\drivers\kdrv0\ directories. the other two (original/modified) have them also in amd64.
EDIT END

of course if even in the light of these you suggest to try what youve written in your post i will do that.

Edited by galocza, 03 January 2010 - 01:44 PM.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
sorry i had to edit the post above.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
  • Joined 03-June 05
@ galocza:

Thanks for your quick tests and feedback.
1. When I wrote about the "modified" Sil3112 RAID driver, I meant that one with the customized TXTSETUP.OEM having the correct path to the associated files (the customization of the si3112.inf is less important, because this file is only used by Windows Setup during the GUIMODE part of the XP installation).
2. If even the Windows x64 CD's, which have been created by the tool XP-ISO Builder and definitively have the si3112r.sys within the AMD64 directory, did not detect your RAID, you don't need to do a further test with the "flattened" driver.

Last question:
Did you really use a clean XP x64 SP2 CD without WINNT.SIF file and without last_session.ini as source?
I ask this again, because I am wondering why no other Sil3112 RAID user ever has posted about this driver integration issue within the nLite Forum.
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
  • Joined 04-June 05
hi,
1. in post #19 you asked for builds with modified (and i did that, and the others) but the error message you asked about in #21 happened with flattened. thats why the misunderstanding
2. yes, i guess ive come to the same conclusion.

last question: im sorry, i always forget about answering that, and yes. i always have a full copy of the windows installation cd in my toinst dir (if its needed for a driver, eg), thats what i copy to a temporary place and the new dir is what i run nlite or xib on. but to be on the safe side, i compared the directory to the unmodified install cd - they are the same.
as for the lack of problems with this before: the guy who started this topic had the same problem. i pm-d him, but no reply. anyway, as ive written above according to valves steam survey only 0.45% of their customers use windows xp x64. i guess a few percent of that use nlite or have sii raid chipset. and the last two factors together - well, it might not be that high a number...

update: ive checked the updated numbers now its 0.64% (+0.19%):
valve steams survey

Edited by galocza, 03 January 2010 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users