Problems integrating Sil 3112 Raid Driver...

Ikky_Phoenix

@ johnhc:

I totally agree with you and I don't like to give up, but at least the nLite or XIB users probably would not accept a work-around, if they have to manually edit the TXTSETUP.SIF or any other file after having finished the processing with nLite resp. XIB.

Nevertheless I have prepared a modified driver, which may work by chance.

@ galocza:

Here is a last chance test scenario (if you are still willing to do it):

1. Download the attached driver and unzip it.

64bit_Sil3112_Raid_driver_v10120_mod_by_Fernando.rar

2. Prepare a new nLited XP x64 CD from scratch (new source, no last_session.ini should be loaded) and integrate the driver, which has been modified by me, as TEXTMODE driver.

3. Burn the Image onto a CD.

4. Boot off the CD and look, if the RAID will be detected.

Good luck (finger crossed)!

Fernando

EDIT: Before you are going to prepare the nLited CD, you may try the modified driver by using the F6/floppy method. The creation of the nLited CD with integrated RAID driver wouldn't make sense, if the RAID will not be detected by loading the driver via F6.

Edited by Fernando 1

noooooo, my whole post is gone, msfn for the first time threw me out...

ok, lets recreate it:

sorry Fernando, no luck (are you sure your fingers were crossed? 8)...

however i noticed something interestin (which doesnt mean its important): when "setup is loading files" the sii driver appears among the others but for a much shorter time. other drivers are shown for about a second, this one only for a fraction. so i guess its much smaller (which i doubt) or it is skipped by the winxp setup...

on the other hand i will borrow my brothers vista x64 install disc and try with that one vlite and this driver (they share the same driver). if it goes smoothly, its a safe assumption that the problem lies with nlite and xib. if not i am again clueless.

btw im not uncomfortable with the thought of adding the driver manually, actually i have found a guide here on msfn. but id rather find a general solution for those who will visit this forum with the same problem.

oh, and ive updated the controller cards bios, though i dont think it matters. no success there either...

i hope this post will be ok now...

sorry Fernando, no luck (are you sure your fingers were crossed? 8)...
Yes, I did it, but maybe not in the right moment....

To be honest, I didn't have much hope, that this will bring the breakthru.

however i noticed something interestin (which doesnt mean its important): when "setup is loading files" the sii driver appears among the others but for a much shorter time. other drivers are shown for about a second, this one only for a fraction. so i guess its much smaller (which i doubt) or it is skipped by the winxp setup...
The quicker loading of the driver may have been caused by my customization. I have deleted all entries, which had nothing to do with Sil3x12 RAID Conrollers.

Another question: Have you tested the general function of my customized driver set by using the F6/floppy method? Maybe you have not seen the EDIT text of my last post.

"The quicker loading of the driver may have been caused by my customization."

i dont know its really just a moment. maybe it doesnt mean anything, but id think that that one second interval for other drivers is spent loading them into memory and not analyzing the descriptor files.

i just might have time for this test and i have to go to work (again), so my answer will be short...

galocza, I am on the outside looking in, but I would think the drivers are OK and OK with Windows Setup since they work with the F6 method. Similar to my experience with the 3Ware RAID controllers (always seems to be RAID) indicates a simple change to the txtsetup.oem is useful. My symptoms were the same as yours and Fernando 1 corrected the problem. I know work arounds are not the ideal solution, but it is all we have right now, unless nuhi returns or asked some one else to take over. Thanks for giving us your time for testing.

Fernando 1, I agree, many won't want to alter driver file(s), but the alternative is F6 and I think it is not very attractive. One of the main reasons I started using nLite was to avoid a floppy and my new machine has no floppy. I searched all my drivers and none use the ''ProblemDevices" code. What does this do?

Have fun, John.

hi johnhc,

these are registry values, from udma5 i think with these hdd models only certain working modes are allowed (lower speed?) or something like that.

im looking into this part of the file, ill be back later if i find something.

Fernando: it didnt work with f6. but i still think the problem is with the config files but maybe you just deleted too much. ill try a few things.

cheers,

g

ill do that, but before a quick report:

your previous pack didnt work with f6. i readded the header and the first two "value" lines to txtsetup.oem and replaced the inf file with the original and worked with f6.

then i tried the above but with your modified inf file.

and i cant remember if this was integrated or f6... i know it didnt work.

im getting very sleepy and tired and possibly sick, so after i try your mod "b" ill probably close shop for today...

tomorrow ill home in the afternoon but ill be probably sleeping as ill be on night duty at the pharmacy.

i just wanted you to know that i didnt give up but in the next 2 days ill be mostly unavailabe. i can make a build now and then though.

ok, lets see modb!

sorry, i was overdramatic. i canr think but that doesnt mean i cant do what im told 8). i guess i just have to take notes if i cant remember what i was doing 3 minutes earlier..

about the test: mod b worked with windows vanilla (f6) but failed when integrated with nlite (otherwise clean as usual).

i was suspecting something thats what checking it out took this long but i rememred wrong.

about the test: mod b worked with windows vanilla (f6) but failed when integrated with nlite (otherwise clean as usual).
The fact, that this shrinked driver version worked with F6 is a good basis for future tests.

By the way: There is a third tool, which is able to integrate textmode drivers into a Windows XP (32/64bit) CD. Its name is "Windows Unattended CD Creator", the developer is Vitali Graf. I helped him with the textmode driver integration process a few years ago. If you want some details, you should look >here<. You can download the latest version 1.0.2 Beta 10 from >here<.

thanks but id did not work. i checked, i have .net 1&2 with all the updates (but i think they are also necessary for nlite).

i couldnt even select my source directory, so i copied the install stuff into the root of d: (which wsa the default). then it started to change the read only attribute for the whole parttion (about 450gb, most of the raid). all right tought i, i do have time... after half an hour i realised that the hdds should have been working hard with changing the attribute for all those files but they didnt. i tried both the installer and the 7zip version.

all in all pulling my own aching tooth is more fun than using that program...

thanks but id did not work. i checked, i have .net 1&2 with all the updates (but i think they are also necessary for nlite).
The WUCreator requires .NET Framework v. 1.1 with sp1 and security patch or v. 2.0.

If you had such big problems to get this tool installed, you should let it be. The chance, that you would succeed with the driver integration by using the WUCreator is very small. I just wanted to mention the existance of this tool.

Regards

Fernando

hi,

i havent forgotten about you, but i have stability difficulties, and the last days i have spent trying to rule out working components. and it seems that the source of my problems is (...drumroll...) the raid controller (or its driver).

i just wrote this down for you to know that theres a possibility i will have to buy a new raid controller and if i can i will avoid a silicon image product (i had to return one already, this is the second). now i will install a 32bit winxp with 32bit driver (which worked fine) if the problem persists its the controller card.

cheers,

g