Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Problems integrating Sil 3112 Raid Driver...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
@ galocza:

Thanks for answering my additional questions.

My conclusion of all your reports is, that nLite and the XIB obviously have a bug regarding the integration of the 64bit Sil3112 RAID driver.
The reason why I suggested to try the XIB was the fact, that nLite and the XIB are using different methods. I was involved with the devopment of the textmode driver integration of both tools, but I mainly tested them with the most problematic drivers published by NVIDIA and Intel. It is a pity, that both tools are not supported anymore. So at least there will be no chance to fix this possible issue.
I am sorry, that I am not able to help you.

By the way:
The TXTSETUP.OEM file of your Sil3112 RAID driver has an interesting [Config.Si3112r] section, where some hdd's (Maxtor 4D060H3 and a lot of Seagate hdd) are listed as being problematic with this driver.
Do you have any of the listed hdd's within your computer?
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
thanks for your quick reply.
is it certain that both software are guilty and the driver innocent? i thought maybe theres an error with the driver descriptor files. a " in the wrong place or a \ or something. i never had problems with nlite (except for that blasted teletext codec), and im not saying its infallable but from an absolutely non-expert point of view the driver seems to be more suspicious.
btw i have 2 samsung hdds in raid0, not the exact same model because one of the originals had to be returned.
anyway, thanks for your effort, its a shame that your time (and others) was wasted - for nothing... at least the next victim wont go through all this in vain.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

is it certain that both software are guilty and the driver innocent?

Since you obviously had no problem with the driver by using the F6/floppy method, I suspect, that the driver is ok.
My current system:
ASUS P8Z68-V | Intel Core i5 2500K | 2x4 GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 | 2x128GB Crucial M4 SSD as RAID0 in SATA3 mode | Seasonic M12II-520 Modular 520W | ATI Radeon HD6850 1 GB GDDR5
My old system:
DFI nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS: 2006/04/06) | AMD Athlon64 4000+ San Diego | 2x512 MB OCZ PC3200 CL2 Rev.2 Platinum | 2x200 GB Samsung S-ATA II as Raid0 | beQuiet!Titan BQT P5-470W-S1.3 | MSI GeForce NX6600GT-TD128E

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
Fernando 1 and galocza, you guys have done a great job of defining the problem. Is it not possible to consider some change that might eliminate the problem? We seem to know that the two programs are most likely not going to be updated to correct the problem. Since the ''ProblemDevices" code is unusual, might it help if it were removed? What is the effect of these lines? What is the effect of leaving them out? Is there any other ideas you have Fernando 1? You guys are doing all the work, but I hate to see you have the problem defined so well, but unable to get a work around. Thanks for listening, John.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
hi John,
id like to try a few things yet, a. because i dont want our time invested to be wasted, b. im pigheaded. i really hope that two programs cant be wrong so the problem lies with the driver. i cant understand half of those driver text files but what i can do is to take a few of the other textmode drivers and compare these to them. and hope that some error becomes evident.
and then i can be a master of trial and error too, like Kurt 8).
if theres anything new, i will report back.
thanks again for all your time,
g

Edited by galocza, 03 January 2010 - 11:54 PM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ johnhc:
I totally agree with you and I don't like to give up, but at least the nLite or XIB users probably would not accept a work-around, if they have to manually edit the TXTSETUP.SIF or any other file after having finished the processing with nLite resp. XIB.
Nevertheless I have prepared a modified driver, which may work by chance.

@ galocza:
Here is a last chance test scenario (if you are still willing to do it):
1. Download the attached driver and unzip it.
Attached File  64bit_Sil3112_Raid_driver_v10120_mod_by_Fernando.rar   150.8KB   4 downloads
2. Prepare a new nLited XP x64 CD from scratch (new source, no last_session.ini should be loaded) and integrate the driver, which has been modified by me, as TEXTMODE driver.
3. Burn the Image onto a CD.
4. Boot off the CD and look, if the RAID will be detected.

Good luck (finger crossed)!
Fernando

EDIT: Before you are going to prepare the nLited CD, you may try the modified driver by using the F6/floppy method. The creation of the nLited CD with integrated RAID driver wouldn't make sense, if the RAID will not be detected by loading the driver via F6.

Edited by Fernando 1, 04 January 2010 - 06:14 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
noooooo, my whole post is gone, msfn for the first time threw me out...
ok, lets recreate it:

sorry Fernando, no luck (are you sure your fingers were crossed? 8)...
however i noticed something interestin (which doesnt mean its important): when "setup is loading files" the sii driver appears among the others but for a much shorter time. other drivers are shown for about a second, this one only for a fraction. so i guess its much smaller (which i doubt) or it is skipped by the winxp setup...
on the other hand i will borrow my brothers vista x64 install disc and try with that one vlite and this driver (they share the same driver). if it goes smoothly, its a safe assumption that the problem lies with nlite and xib. if not i am again clueless.
btw im not uncomfortable with the thought of adding the driver manually, actually i have found a guide here on msfn. but id rather find a general solution for those who will visit this forum with the same problem.
oh, and ive updated the controller cards bios, though i dont think it matters. no success there either...

i hope this post will be ok now...

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

sorry Fernando, no luck (are you sure your fingers were crossed? 8)...

Yes, I did it, but maybe not in the right moment....
To be honest, I didn't have much hope, that this will bring the breakthru.

however i noticed something interestin (which doesnt mean its important): when "setup is loading files" the sii driver appears among the others but for a much shorter time. other drivers are shown for about a second, this one only for a fraction. so i guess its much smaller (which i doubt) or it is skipped by the winxp setup...

The quicker loading of the driver may have been caused by my customization. I have deleted all entries, which had nothing to do with Sil3x12 RAID Conrollers.

Another question: Have you tested the general function of my customized driver set by using the F6/floppy method? Maybe you have not seen the EDIT text of my last post.
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
"The quicker loading of the driver may have been caused by my customization."
i dont know its really just a moment. maybe it doesnt mean anything, but id think that that one second interval for other drivers is spent loading them into memory and not analyzing the descriptor files.
i just might have time for this test and i have to go to work (again), so my answer will be short...

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
galocza, I am on the outside looking in, but I would think the drivers are OK and OK with Windows Setup since they work with the F6 method. Similar to my experience with the 3Ware RAID controllers (always seems to be RAID) indicates a simple change to the txtsetup.oem is useful. My symptoms were the same as yours and Fernando 1 corrected the problem. I know work arounds are not the ideal solution, but it is all we have right now, unless nuhi returns or asked some one else to take over. Thanks for giving us your time for testing.

Fernando 1, I agree, many won't want to alter driver file(s), but the alternative is F6 and I think it is not very attractive. One of the main reasons I started using nLite was to avoid a floppy and my new machine has no floppy. I searched all my drivers and none use the ''ProblemDevices" code. What does this do?

Have fun, John.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
hi johnhc,
these are registry values, from udma5 i think with these hdd models only certain working modes are allowed (lower speed?) or something like that.
im looking into this part of the file, ill be back later if i find something.

Fernando: it didnt work with f6. but i still think the problem is with the config files but maybe you just deleted too much. ill try a few things.
cheers,
g

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

Fernando: it didnt work with f6. but i still think the problem is with the config files but maybe you just deleted too much. ill try a few things.

You may try this package by the F6/floppy method:
Attached File  64bit_Sil3112_Raid_driver_v10120_mod_B_by_Fernando.rar   150.82KB   4 downloads
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
ill do that, but before a quick report:
your previous pack didnt work with f6. i readded the header and the first two "value" lines to txtsetup.oem and replaced the inf file with the original and worked with f6.
then i tried the above but with your modified inf file.
and i cant remember if this was integrated or f6... i know it didnt work.
im getting very sleepy and tired and possibly sick, so after i try your mod "b" ill probably close shop for today...
tomorrow ill home in the afternoon but ill be probably sleeping as ill be on night duty at the pharmacy.
i just wanted you to know that i didnt give up but in the next 2 days ill be mostly unavailabe. i can make a build now and then though.
ok, lets see modb!

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ galocza:

The tests can wait. Thank you very much for spending your time. Maybe we will find a solution, when you are healthy and back again.
Get well soon!

Kind regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
sorry, i was overdramatic. i canr think but that doesnt mean i cant do what im told 8). i guess i just have to take notes if i cant remember what i was doing 3 minutes earlier..
about the test: mod b worked with windows vanilla (f6) but failed when integrated with nlite (otherwise clean as usual).
i was suspecting something thats what checking it out took this long but i rememred wrong.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

about the test: mod b worked with windows vanilla (f6) but failed when integrated with nlite (otherwise clean as usual).

The fact, that this shrinked driver version worked with F6 is a good basis for future tests.
By the way: There is a third tool, which is able to integrate textmode drivers into a Windows XP (32/64bit) CD. Its name is "Windows Unattended CD Creator", the developer is Vitali Graf. I helped him with the textmode driver integration process a few years ago. If you want some details, you should look >here<. You can download the latest version 1.0.2 Beta 10 from >here<.
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
thanks but id did not work. i checked, i have .net 1&2 with all the updates (but i think they are also necessary for nlite).
i couldnt even select my source directory, so i copied the install stuff into the root of d: (which wsa the default). then it started to change the read only attribute for the whole parttion (about 450gb, most of the raid). all right tought i, i do have time... after half an hour i realised that the hdds should have been working hard with changing the attribute for all those files but they didnt. i tried both the installer and the 7zip version.
all in all pulling my own aching tooth is more fun than using that program...

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

thanks but id did not work. i checked, i have .net 1&2 with all the updates (but i think they are also necessary for nlite).

The WUCreator requires .NET Framework v. 1.1 with sp1 and security patch or v. 2.0.
If you had such big problems to get this tool installed, you should let it be. The chance, that you would succeed with the driver integration by using the WUCreator is very small. I just wanted to mention the existance of this tool.

Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
i have .net 1.1.4322 and 2.0.50727. windows update doesnt offer anything for download below 3.x, so i guess im up to date.

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
hi,
i havent forgotten about you, but i have stability difficulties, and the last days i have spent trying to rule out working components. and it seems that the source of my problems is (...drumroll...) the raid controller (or its driver).
i just wrote this down for you to know that theres a possibility i will have to buy a new raid controller and if i can i will avoid a silicon image product (i had to return one already, this is the second). now i will install a 32bit winxp with 32bit driver (which worked fine) if the problem persists its the controller card.
cheers,
g

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

i have stability difficulties, and the last days i have spent trying to rule out working components. and it seems that the source of my problems is (...drumroll...) the raid controller (or its driver).

I suspect, that your stability problems are caused by an inappropriate Sil3112 RAID driver and RAID BIOS combination.
It is a wellknown fact, that Silicon Image RAID users will not get the best results by just updating the Sil3x12 RAID driver. They have to update the driver version and the appropriate RAID BIOS version simultaneously.

Edited by Fernando 1, 07 January 2010 - 04:58 AM.

My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
well i used the latest bios and driver (sii homepage emphasises to upgrade the bios to use with the latest driver).
AFTER the problems started i downgraded to the previous bios to see what happened. i really dont want to bother you with this problem, this is an another issue and i think i pinpointed the source (2-3 days of testing and hw/sw changes).
cheers,
g

ps, ontopic: whatever the outcome the sii card is still good enough to test vista with the 64bit driver and ill do that (because otherwise im out of ideas) when i get to it and report back

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts

well i used the latest bios and driver (sii homepage emphasises to upgrade the bios to use with the latest driver).

The mainboard BIOS version is less important for the function of the Sil3112 RAID Controllers than the RAID ROM version from Silicon Image, which is part of the mainboard BIOS.
Since you will not get the latest Sil3112 RAID ROM version from your mainboard manufacturer DFI, you have to create an updated mainboard BIOS with actual RAID ROM part yourself or find it by chance within the internet.
What I can do is to flash the newest available Sil3112 RAID BIOS version 4.2.84 (dated 19th January 2007) into the latest available mainboard BIOS version RDXDB01 (dated 1st November 2007) for your DFI mainboard "Lanparty UT RDX-200 CF-DR" and upload it for you.
Before we start anything like this, please give me the following informations:
  • Are you sure, that your currently used RAID Controller has a Sil3112 chip?
    I ask this, because I had a look into the description of your "DFI Lanparty UT RDX-200 CD-DR" at DFI's support pages and found the following feature:
    • Silicon image3114~RAID5 ready
  • According to the DFI support page your mainboard has 2 different sorts of SATA Controllers, which do support RAID:
    Serial ATA with RAID:
    # Four Serial ATA ports supported by the ATI SB450 chip - SATA speed up to 1.5Gb/s - RAID 0 and RAID 1
    # Four Serial ATA ports supported by the Silicon Image Sil 3114 chip - SATA speed up to 1.5Gb/s - RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1 and RAID 5
    Which SATA ports are you using?
  • To make everything clear for me, you may give me the exact HardwareID's of the in use RAID Controller of your system.
    Open the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section of the Device Manager and do a righ click onto the listed RAID Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".
Regards
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

galocza

galocza

• 25 posts
hi Fernando,
thanks for taking interest also in this issue.
"Before we start anything like this": we wont 8).
1. the controller has a sii3512, which is similar to sii3112 i think (probaby its successor), they share the same drivers eg.
2. you really shouldnt work that hard 8). i never mentioned said motherboard. i have an "asus p5q se plus" + a sii3512 addon card (not mb integrated). however i would really appreciate if somebody could tell me where have i read that particular model because i did during the last week and its killing me not remembering where. i know i did because first i couldnt believe its a real motherboard model...
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&SUBSYS_65121095&REV_01
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&SUBSYS_65121095
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&CC_010400
PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&CC_0104

but as i said i upgraded the controllers bios to the latest (actually 4.3.84), and after that did the problems start. then i downgraded back to 4.3.83, because the timing made the new bios the first suspect.

only read the following if you are really interested in my course of thought. very offtopic, long and boring!
first, only the motherboard is new. ram (2x2gb kingmax), processor (intel core2 6400), raid controller (noname sii3512), hdds (samsung 2x250gb) all worked for about two years. not overclocked.
freezing occurs quite randomly, but it ocurred to me that mostly under hdd intensive actions, seemingly nothing to do with cpu.
suspects:
-ram. i did some very ram intensive work before (panoramic photo stitching, tonemapping etc), + i tried both ram modules alone in different slots + 1 ran memtest86+ 4.00 (although only one cycle). i think not the ram.
-cpu. i gave it some heavy work (partly the above + encoding timelapse movies, compression - 7zip uses both cores etc). temperature never above 32C. not cpu.
-hdds. i unplugged them from the raid card and connected them to the mainboards plain sata plug. booted up from an another hdd and checked them with my usual two software: hddtune and hdscan (these do surface scan, they dont care about filesystem). all ok.
-sata cables. changed them. not the cables.
these more or less eliminate everything except the raid controller card. but i needed an affirming test. i rebuilt my old system: another mainboard, cpu, ram, power supply, only the hdds, the raid controller and the video card the same. the problem appeared on the old computer too. in my book this leaves the raid controller (and eliminates the new mainboard, cpu, ram), the video card and the slight possibility that i changed the sata cables to another bad ones.
primary suspect: the raid addon card...
now i try to torture it under a clean install of winxp x86 where it worked fine with the same drivers for about 2 years. chances are the card will lose: 1 of 2 tests failed.
i cant see an error in my methodology or line of thouhgt, but if you can of course im open to advices.
cheers,
galocza

Edited by galocza, 07 January 2010 - 12:29 PM.

Fernando 1

Fernando 1

Easy RAIDer

• 2,021 posts
@ galosza:

Thanks for your quick answer and for the HardwareID's of your RAID Controller. This verifies, that the latest Sil3112 RAID drivers do support it (PCI\VEN_1095&DEV_3512&SUBSYS_65121095 is listed).

Forget, what I have written and asked regarding your mainboard model and the Silicon Image RAID chip. It was an error of my side, because I didn't realize, that you haven't started this thread. I looked into the first post and thought, that it was you, who has the "DFI RDX-200 CD-DR" with a built-in Sil3112 RAID Controller - my bad.
By the way: The latest Sil3112 RAID BIOS version is 4.2.84 (contrary to the Sil3512 one, which is 4.3.84).

Now - since I know, that you have an actual Asus P45 mainboard with Intel ICH10 Southbridge and just an inserted Sil3512 RAID Controller Card, I want to give you the following advice:
1. Give up your efforts to get any OS installed onto the Sil3512 RAID Controllers.
2. If you want to run your hdd's in RAID0, you should buy a better and more actual RAID adapter card.
3. If you want a much better performance, buy an Intel X25-M SSD for the OS and run it in AHCI Mode (the Intel driver, which I have modified, will work with your ICH10 Southbridge, if you have the AHCI setting option within the BIOS).

Good luck!
Fernando
My current system:
My old system:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN