Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x.

Sfor

I'm actually thinking about buying one. But there are several issues with win98.

Here's what I found about the eeepc 701 (but 9xx hardware is quite similar).

Drivers:

Chipset + GPU : Intel 910 GML -> no win98 drivers !!! That's the main problem Bearwindows VESA drivers / SNAP graphics

Lan : Atheros L2 Fast Ethernet -> no drivers but generic NDIS drivers should do the trick

Audio : Realtek High definition -> no drivers avaible

Wifi : Atheros AR 5007EG -> drivers avaible but what about the connection program?

Touchpad : Synaptics Touchpad -> avaible

Another issue is the resolution (1024/600). It's 16/10. That's not a problem in windows but it is if (like me), you plain to play old dos/windows games that run in 4/3. I don't want to play with stretched resolutions...

That's why I thought about waiting for a via based notebook (like the everest MAX) but they won't be for sale until 2009...

EDIT : post corrected

Edited by glocK_94

I've just bought a linux version of the Eee PC 900. So, I connected an external USB hard drive in hope of doing some experiments with Windows 98. I've switched the boot drive to the external HDD in the BIOS, leaving the linux intact on the SSD.

The first problem was the setup causes a strange effect on the pannel. It looks like it melts (or something) and the computer feezes. So, I used the SETUPCOR.EXE instead. This time the procedure froze on running scandisk. So, I used SETUPCOR /is. The setup started, the files were copied, the computer rebooted properly,.....

The licence agreement screen appeared. I'll see what will come as next.

---------------------------------------

The system froze after PnP devices detection. Both keyboard and touch pad are not working. It can have something to do with the USB controller PnP detection. I've started the system from an USB drive. I think I will have to move to the SSD and leave the USB unpopulated during the setup, in the next experiment.

---------------------------------------

But, perhaps not. The setup contiunes after a reboot, starting at the point the computer froze. Keyboard and touchpad are working correctly, this time. So, I had an additional unplanned reboot. I does not seem to be a big problem, after all.

----------------------------------------

It seems to be working. The Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility was useful. But, still, just the standard VGA 640x480 16 colours graphics stretched to the full size of the LCD pannel. No LAN, no Wireless, no Sound.

Edited by Sfor

I've managed to get network connection through an external USB network card.

An interesting feature of the Eee PC is the very good BIOS support for USB drives. Also, SD cards are supported in the BIOS, as the SD card reader is in fact an USB device. Every USB drive is treated as a separate HDD. It is possible to select any of them as a boot device.

So, since the BIOS does the USB storage support and Windows 98 functions are very limited because of the unavailable device drivers, the Windows 95 should do almost as fine as the Windows 98 does.

The universal VBE driver seems to be working fine. I was able co increase the screen resolution to 800x600. Also, I'm able to select any color depth from just 256 up to 32bit.

I made quite an interesting observation while copying data from an SD card to SSD drive. Apparently such an operation took just a few minutes in clean DOS, while the Windows 98 explorer did the same job many times longer.

I made quite an interesting observation while copying data from an SD card to SSD drive. Apparently such an operation took just a few minutes in clean DOS, while the Windows 98 explorer did the same job many times longer.
Could be a visualizing problem. I observe the same with deleting large directories, especially on slow (network-)drives. Deltree does it fast, while explorer takes much longer, while it tries to tell which files are being deleted at each moment.

Funny, on many eeepc forums, people report regular slowdown caused by the ssd on winXP on Linux. However it could be a chipset problem linked to missing win98 drivers.

I have moved the Windows 98 to internal SSD. The speed difference is huge. The system boots to desktop icons in less than 15 seconds. The hour glass is gone in less than another 15 seconds.

I've noticed the Windows 98 does not detect the new devices connected to the USB ports. It is necesary to reboot the system in order to to use them.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Another observation, the DOS application window problem is related only to the windowed DOS processes. If a DOS application is running the full screen mode, everything seems to be working correctly.

Perhaps there is a way to force every DOS process to use the full screen mode. But, I have to find it, still.

Edited by Sfor

I've managed to bring the built in internal ethernet port to life with Atheros NDIS2 DOS driver.

In order to do so I had to:

- start the new hardware wizard

- skip the auto detection and to go for "find the driver from the list"

- find the NDIS2 driver related entry

And it went the usual automatic way from this point. The driver is started in the AUTOEXEC.BAT with the NET START command. It looks like the Internet and Microsoft Networking functions are working correctly.

It's a bit funny the DOS driver is provided, when the newer 9x systems are forgotten. And still, the 9x systems are able to use the DOS driver. It would not be possible with the NT based system.

Edited by Sfor

The problem with the Universal VBE driver requires to force all DOS text mode applications to use the full mode. It is possible to do it with .PIF files. But, it would require to create a .PIF file for every DOS application.

The FSTOGGLE.EXE is designed to switch between full screen and the windowed modes. It is not the solution, as it does not allow to select the mode before running the command processor.

I'm wondering if there is a .PIF file with default DOS application settings, or something like that.

I'm wondering if there is a .PIF file with default DOS application settings, or something like that.

Maybe there is another way through APPS.INF. :unsure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138410/en-us

APPS.INF has an empty entry for COMMAND.COM:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/130971/en-us

Would something like this work?:

[COMMAND.COM]
Disable=win

or

[COMMAND.COM]
Enable=dos
Disable=win

And maybe also playing with the "aen" and "lie" switches....

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz