Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x.

Sfor

The _default.pif file does the job.

I've modified the command prompt in the Start menu and the /WINDOWS/PIF/COMMAND.PIF files. The COMMAND.PIF is the best template for the _DEFAULT.PIF, as it does not have the working directory set. The _DEFAULT.PIF should be placed in the WINDOWS directory.

I've noticed a side effect when doing a computer reboot from the Xandros Linux system. The DOS NDIS2 driver freezes when testing the network connection, in such a case. It is necesary to power the computer off, then to boot to Windows 98 with a cold start, after working with Xandros.

I've noticed a side effect when doing a computer reboot from the Xandros Linux system. The DOS NDIS2 driver freezes when testing the network connection, in such a case. It is necesary to power the computer off, then to boot to Windows 98 with a cold start, after working with Xandros.

Did you try using the default windows NDIS2 driver? I've seen someone claiming it works fine on his eee701. Besides, I've never seen a network card that wouldn't work with it.

Erm... The Windows 98 does not appear to have a default NDIS driver. When installing a NDIS driver, Windows asks to provide a proper driver disk, or to show where it is located.

Besides, NDIS is the protocol used between driver and OS. So, the same driver can be used with any network software compatible with the NDIS specification.

I've got a correction to the way the Windows 98 treats NDIS2 drivers.

(I do not have an English language version, so I can not provide the proper option names)

In order to install a NDIS2 driver it is necesary to skip the hardware auto detection procedure and to select the manual installation option. Then open the network adapters list, then to click the button letting to search the driver on the disk. When a NDIS2 driver location is provided Windows will go the usual network driver procedure with just one difference. Windows will not check the compatibility of the driver with the hardware. So Windows will install just any NDIS2 driver without complaining.

The Atheros NDIS2 driver han an ability to change the MAC address in the protocol.ini file. This gives an ability to use Eee PC 900 with Windows 9x as a quite useful network testing tool. Especialy, when the Internet services provider uses MAC restriction techniques.

I've been successfully using my Eee to do some test in the WAN. The Windows 98 seems to be unable to keep multiple network configuration sets. So, I had to change the services and protocols bindings every time I was changing the LAN and WAN connections. I tried to solve this problem in multiple ways:

- a second copy of the Windows easy switchable on the system start. - occupies a lot of disk space

- mutiple hardware profiles - displays an additional menu at the system start. Very inconvenient

- a second driver to the same network adapter with different bindings. - quite complicated to set up, but it works.

It is possible to modify the L2.DOS and corresponding .INF file to create a new driver. The Windows will install both drivers. Then it is necesary to make different protocol and services bindings to both drivers. Switching between drivers is possible through changes in the protocol.ini file, and making the unwanted driver .DOS file unavailable in the windows directory. I did it with two .BAT files. One is switching to the LAN adapter, the other to WAN. Running one of them disables one adapter, and enables the other. I'm still playing with the idea to exploit all the possibilities.

I'm curious if there are other ways to switch between the network enviroment settings easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another observation.

Windows 98 without a network driver installed boots in just 9 seconds, while it takes 43 seconds to boot with a NDIS2 driver with the ethernet connection detached.

The DOS NDIS driver tries to detect the network connection speed , first. Then the TCP/IP protocol stack tries to get an IP through DHCP. Both tasks are useless while booting in the move. Luckily there is a very easy way to select if we want to boot with or without the network adapter driver.

For the NDIS2 driver to work it is necesary to run NET START command from the AUTOEXEC.BAT. Wihout it the driver gets disabled after booting. As the result the system boots in 9 seconds, instead of 43.

Using the [MENU] section in the CONFIG.SYS it is possible to create a boot menu and give an option to start the system with the network driver disabled.

an example for the CONFIG.SYS

[MENU]
MenuItem=WINDOWS,Windows 98
MenuItem=NONET,Windows 98 - bez sieci
MenuDefault=WINDOWS,10

[WINDOWS]
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=048,852,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

[NONET]
include WINDOWS

an example for the AUTOEXEC.BAT

GOTO %CONFIG%

:WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\net start
:NONET
mode con codepage prepare=((852) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=852
keyb pl,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keybrd4.sys

The code page and keyboard settings should be different in your case (unless you are using Polish language).

• 2 weeks later...
It's somewhat true, but I have found nothing about Scitech support for Windows 98.

:w00t:

http://www.scitechsoft.com/sdd_win.html

SciTech Display Doctor 6.53 (Classic Edition)

Designed for: Windows 95, 98

SciTech Display Doctor is still the ultimate graphics utility package for older PC's. If you are using hardware that is more than 5 years old chances are SciTech Display Doctor for Windows can improve the performance and stability of your PC by updating your graphics card display driver.

While SciTech no longer offers support for this edition of SciTech Display Doctor we understand that the product might be just the fix you need to keep your older hardware humming along. SciTech Now offers this product free of charge via our ftp download site or for a minimal charge On CD.

While the downloadable version is free of charge we hope you will take the opportunity to support our development efforts in relation to this product and purchase the CD. By purchasing the CD you will also ensure that you have convenient access to the last commercial version of SciTech Display Doctor for Windows as well as many other classic and unsupported SciTech titles.

http://www.scitechsoft.com/ftp/sdd/

;)

jaclaz

The SNAP driver works correctly with DOS applications. But, the system does not switch off itself. It is necesary to use the power button.

The top possible resolution on the LCD is the 800x600, still. It is possible to select a higher resolution, but the LCD will cut it to the top left 1024x600.

Edited by Sfor

The SNAP driver works correctly with DOS applications. But, the system does not switch off itself. It is necesary to use the power button.

The top possible resolution on the LCD is the 800x600, still. It is possible to select a higher resolution, but the LCD will cut it to the top left 1024x600.

using GAMODE.EXE tool it is possible to add any resolution "on the fly" in Windows9x//NT/2000/XP/2003.

Link: http://www.bearwindows.boot-land.net/myproj.htm

Usage from command line:

GAMode - SciTech SNAP Graphics Dial-A-Mode Utility
Copyright 1993-2006 SciTech Software, Inc.

Valid commands are:

gamode show [device]
gamode showvbe [device]
To show the list of display modes for the device. The showvbe variant
will show the list of modes reported to VESA VBE applications.

gamode add <xres> <yres> <bits> [device]
To add a new display mode (automatically enabled for VESA VBE apps)

gamode addref <xres> <yres> <refresh> [device]
To add a new refresh rate for a specific resolution. To specify an
interlaced refresh rate, use a negative value. i.e.: use -87 for 87Hz
interlaced modes.

gamode del <xres> <yres> <bits> [device]
To remove a specific display mode

gamode set <xres> <yres> <bits> <refresh> [head] [device]
To set the default refresh rate for a specific resolution

This way I add std DVD PAL resolution 720x576:

gamode add 720 576 8
gamode add 720 576 16
gamode add 720 576 32

No restart is required.

Edited by bearwindows

After adding the 1024x600 modes I had to restart the system. Then I was able to select the 1024x600 mode.

Unfortunatelly, the screen remained at 800x600. The desktop was resized to 1024x600, but the visible part is 800x600, only.

So, GAMode does not change much

I've checked the 1024v768 mode, again. I was wrong. The screen is cut to just 800x600 instead of 1024x600.

I have no idea how to set the native 1024x600 LCD resolution.

Edited by Sfor