Asus Eee PC and Windows 9x.

Sfor

Has anyone tried looking at the Linux drivers and used the Win98SE driver kit that was posted in these forums awhile ago, to see if building better drivers was possible? I'd do it myself, only I am not a coder. :(

--iWindoze

What particular driver kit do you have on your mind?

The one from MDGx's site: http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm (search for "Driver Development Kit (DDK)" which should take you to his hosted Win9x DDK, which could conceivably be useful to resurrecting Win9x on newer systems for someone who knows how to make good use of it...)

--iWindoze

Has there been any movement on this?

--iWindoze

Well. I did update the BIOS to 10.06, but I've encountered a few difficulties on the way.

- The built in Alt-F2 update procedure does not support SD card USB devices. A pen drive is necesary.

- The Alt-F2 procedure have stuck on Reading 900.ROM message. I had to power the computer down. It could be related to the fact I've used a 16GB pen drive with two partitions on it.

- Everything went fine when I've used AFUDOS.EXE flash update utility.

- The bios defaults had to be restored after the flash update.

- It looks like the BIOS update procedure triggered the battery charging on, as well.

Hi, Sfor!

Certainly the pen-drive with two partitions was confusing to the <Alt>-<F2> routine, because when I did it (three times already, by now) I've always used a 16 GB pen-drive, too, but having just a single partition in it, and all went well. And thanks for the heads up about SD cards, I didn't know that. BTW, was it a true SD or a SDHC card you used?

Changing subjects, I've puzzled about the Dependency Walker log you've posted since the first moment I saw your post... I'm sorry to say I cannot find in any hint as to the reason why EeeCtl isn't working in your Win 98SE, because, as far as I can see it, all dependencies are satisfied and there is no relevant missing procedure. :( There must be some deeper problem that the Dependency Walker is failing to reveal...

And thanks for the heads up about SD cards, I didn't know that. BTW, was it a true SD or a SDHC card you used?

Yep :),and if I may :unsure:, the report should be changed to

• SD card partitioned/formatted as ....
  • through card reader make/model.....
  • card make/model/type..... size .....

I presume that not all card readers and not all kinds of partitioning/formatting will work (or will fail to work) - though I don't think that SD vs. SDHC may make a difference, if partitioned/formated in the "right" way and connected through a "right" reader.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

That's not exactly the case, as we were referring to the built in card reader.

Sorry :blushing: , I thought that this meant:

The built in Alt-F2 update procedure does not support SD card USB devices. A pen drive is necesary.

that you were trying a USB SD card reader....

In any case it was a plane 2GB SD card, as far as I know.

Yep, but was it partitioned or "superfloppy"? :unsure:

jaclaz

The built in card reader is an USB device as well. It is possible to boot the system from it the same way as from other USB devices. The SD cards are treated by BIOS the same way as pen drives. So, they are mounted as hard drives, and can be partitioned. Still, the built in BIOS flash routine does not seem to be able to use it.

Edited by Sfor

The built in card reader is an USB device as well. It is possible to boot the system from it the same way as from other USB devices. The SD cards are treated by BIOS the same way as pen drives. So, they are mounted as hard drives, and can be partitioned. Still, the built in BIOS flash routine does not seem to be able to use it.

Yep, now I understand what you were saying. :)

I simply "visualized" in my mind a thingy like this one:

_250_0.jpg

jaclaz

Which is quite understandable. In fact, the Eee PC is a strange beast because it offers 3 external USB ports, and a MMC/SD/SDHC card reader. But, internally, the card reader is connected through a dedicated USB port, which, in fact, is the "missing" fourth port, since USB ports always come in pairs. Stranger still is the fact that the internal Wi-Fi is also connected through another dedicated usb port. But the really awesome part is that there are still two more otherwise unused USB ports inside, that the more aventurous modders can recover with soldering iron, care and some good luck, as you can read here and here.

Which is quite understandable. In fact, the Eee PC is a strange beast because it offers 3 external USB ports, and a MMC/SD/SDHC card reader. But internally, the card reader is connected through a dedicated USB port. Stranger still is the fact that the internal Wi-Fi is also connected through another dedicated usb port.

At the risk of going OFF TOPIC :ph34r:, I guess that it could lead, in due time and with the hopefully coming of USB 3.0 speeds, to a revolution in the way PC's are made (not only netbooks).

I mean once we actually have a "really Universal" and "really Fast" BUS, a PC may become a "core" with CPU+a USB hub, to which you could attach any kind of device, including network card, video card, audio card and what not, a truly modular and easily upgradable solution.

Still off-topic, have a look at this interesting approach to PE portability ;):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5634

A PC in a foreseeable future may resemble a big USB hub to which you connect all your external devices.....

Now, REALLY off-topic, a crazy idea someone actually created:

http://ohlssonvox.8k.com/fdd_raid.htm

jaclaz

No.

Oh well. I was hoping we would see some action on this since the eeepcs (and most netbooks) are a known hardware set with mostly complete FOSS drivers to crib from. If we are to see Win98SE take center stage again for one last bow on modern hardware the netbook seems to me to be its best opportunity. If we could only get someone who has experience in writing drivers for the OS to look through the Win98 driver kit and hack away...

--iWindoze

The newer operating systems do have a significantly better power management abilities. So, Windows 98 is not a particulary good choice for mobile computers. I strongly doubt in it's ability to take the central stage.

Personaly, I'm preferring to use Xandros when working without the power adaptor, as it seems to work longer on the battery power. I'm using Windows 98 when I do have an external power attached, or when I need to troubleshoot some ethernet network related problems.