Help! Where can I get the USB 2.0 drivers for nForce2?

RJARRRPCGP

The motherboard is an Asus A7N8X-X.

When I plug in my Lexar JumpDrive flash drive in, Windows XP always gives me the message saying that the USB drive can perform faster if I plug it into a USB 2.0 port.

Also, in Device Manager, I can see that there's still no USB 2.0 driver!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

No problem here for several years - NF2 Ultra (motherboard Soltek FRN2 something) with XP SP2 (I think SP2 is the minimum for WORKING USB2 drivers). No special drivers installed.

In fact, I could swear the chipset behaves 'smart' - with only one device plugged, it seems like whatever port it's plugged in, that port becomes "Enhanced" (that's USB2). (I have not tested this too much, but the transfer rate is always good).

RJARRRPCGP, several suggestions (although I'm sure you already did some of that):

1. Check BIOS settings carefully

2. Plug the device in (every) other port

3. Verify in Device Manager you have at least one "Enhanced USB controller"

4. Combine 2. and 3. - keep plugging the Usb stick in different ports and in Device Manager apply "View Devices by connection" - find out which physical port is "Enhanced".

HTH

GL

No problem here for several years - NF2 Ultra (motherboard Soltek FRN2 something) with XP SP2 (I think SP2 is the minimum for WORKING USB2 drivers). No special drivers installed.

In fact, I could swear the chipset behaves 'smart' - with only one device plugged, it seems like whatever port it's plugged in, that port becomes "Enhanced" (that's USB2). (I have not tested this too much, but the transfer rate is always good).

RJARRRPCGP, several suggestions (although I'm sure you already did some of that):

1. Check BIOS settings carefully

2. Plug the device in (every) other port

3. Verify in Device Manager you have at least one "Enhanced USB controller"

4. Combine 2. and 3. - keep plugging the Usb stick in different ports and in Device Manager apply "View Devices by connection" - find out which physical port is "Enhanced".

HTH

GL

It's definitely enabled in the BIOS, because it appears in Device Manager and that's why Device Manager complains.

EDIT: It appears to be fine now!

I decided to click on the entry with the question mark and click "Uninstall" and then rescan!

You must do this, even with a fresh XP installation!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

EDIT: It appears to be fine now!

I decided to click on the entry with the question mark and click "Uninstall" and then rescan!

You must do this, even with a fresh XP installation!

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that. When some of Windows' device drivers (i.e. portcls.sys, usbehci.sys, usbohci.sys... don't know the exact name, but they are related to USB and audio) are updated through a) hotfix B) service pack c) windows update, they are not actually replaced untill you uninstall all devices that use them. This is different from, if, for example, tcpip.sys or other Windows driver/service is updated - then it's replaced immediately (or as soon as possible - at next reboot).

Never mind, glad you fixed it anyway. :thumbup

GL