how to change the assoicated file type in winxp?

sirpelidor

Hi, if we install a software on winxp and we let it to specific the file type to associate with the program (ie. wvm for window media player), then all file extension ended with that specific extension will display an icon which associate with that particular software.

what happen when we uninstall software, but the specified file type still carry those icon, how can we delete it?

in my case, i've downloaded a program call: JCreator which is a editor for *.java file. It turned all the *.java file into its program icon. When place mouse over, it'll say "Type: JCreator". I have uninstalled that program and the icon and that "Type: JCreator" is still in every *.java file. How and where can I remove it?

Thank you.

If it persisted, then it means the uninstaller is buggy.

Open regedit.exe. Then go to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.java. There, it will tell you under (default), what program is associated with that file. Go to that key and delete it.

I would back it up first in case you need to undo.

For example, I use Ultraiso to open .ISO files. So, when I go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso, it says under data column for (default) Ultraiso. I can go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\UltraISO and delete it and it will get rid of .iso association with ultraiso.

No need to tinker with registry.

Simply right click on the concerned file, select the "open with...." option, "choose program..." , browse down to & highlight the application you want to open the file with and check mark the "always use the selected...".

That should fix the problem.

Open regedit.exe. Then go to the key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.java. There, it will tell you under (default), what program is associated with that file. Go to that key and delete it.
If the association is applied to the user specifically the association information would be found in [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes].

hi spacesurfer, thanks for the tips. it does the trick.

pmshah, i did ur suggestion before I post this thread. What happened was...the file will be open by other program of my choice no problem, but when mouse over, you'll still see that "Type JCreator" as well as the icon assoicate with the the program I uninstalled.

Like spacesufer said, the uninstaller was buggy...

Thank you.

You probably just need to refresh your icon cache. try doing repair icons with tweakui. sometimes that solves the icon problem.

otherwise, try searching for that key in the users as mentioned by ascii2.

one more suggestion, from any windows explorer windows, go to folder options, then file types tab, then find your file type and delete it.

Edited by spacesurfer