Windows XP not able to use CD Drive on same channel as "Hard Driv

thaimin

My current computer setup I have 2 SATA ports that act as the Primary Channel. There is a 750 GB hard drive on SATA1 and is the master, and nothing on SATA2.

The IDE channel is served through the IDE port and a compact-flash card slot built into the motherboard. There is a jumper on the motherboard to select either master or slave for the flash card. The IDE port has a slimline CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive attached. The cable attaching it is currently only with two ends (whereas the typical IDE cable has 3). There is no way for me to select master/slave for the CD drive, so my guess is that it is cable-select. In any case it is always master. So the flash card must be set to slave.

In Knoppix, both the flash card and the CD drive are accessible. A Windows 98 SE Boot disk works fine from the CD drive. Windows will install off the CD drive. However, as soon as Windows installation is complete, the CD drive stops working and acts as though every CD put in has nothing on it. If I remove the flash card (requiring a reboot), the CD drive starts working.

The flash card is treated as an internal hard drive by the motherboard, however the card itself does not have the "non-removable" bit set so Windows mistakes it for a removable disk. I am trying to get a firmware update from the manufacture to correct this issue.

I am trying to get another cable so I can test this setup but with CD drive as slave and compact flash as master (it is a 44-pin IDE cable, not the typical 40-pin). In the mean time, is there anything else I can do? There is obviously nothing wrong with the hardware itself since Knoppix and "dumb" Windows (Windows Installer) can use both the CD drive and compact flash drive fine. Anything I can do in Windows to correct this problem?

Jeff