Network Sharing Problem

lalapnt

Hello Gurus,

I have a peculier problem to share for which i have not got any solution's till date.

I have two Desktops at my home, With Windows XP SP2 as my Operating System. I have installed Eset Smart Security as my Firewall.

Resently i have purchased PCI Fast Ethernet & installed on both of my PC to create Network Sharing (Dailup Internet & File Sharing) between both.

Internet is installed on Computer A

After installation Computer A can Excess everything on Computer B, but Computer B cannot Excess anything on Computer A, it is asking for username & password.

Both my PC are in the same workgroup & I have also checked the IP Settings & Disabled my Firewall on both & Users on Both are System Administerators.

Is it possible that any Software installed on Computer A might be blocking the access to Computer B ?

Kindly Help me out.

Edited by geek
11. Please refrain from using CAPITALIZATIONS in the topic title or when participating in threads because they will not attract attention - instead it will annoy many of MSFN's members.

This is a very common problem, and can be frustrating because a number of factors can influence it.

First, a few questions:

1. Is the OS XP Professional, or XP home ed.?

2. Do the computers use simple file sharing (using guest account), or do users authenticate as themselves?

3. With the firewall disabled, can you ping each workstation from the other one?

(from CMD prompt, type "ping [computer name | IP address]") Try to ping using both the NETBIOS computer name and the IP.

4. Do you know if any other type of security policies have been applied to either computer?

5. Can computer B access the Internet shared from computer A, or is it just file sharing that doens't work?

Oooooooo 3rd party firewalls. Fun, fun.

These can be a nightmare, at least for me. I don't know how wonderful Eset is compared to TMIS or NIS, but I know with most 3rd party firewalls you need to be familiar with how to configure it. To eliminate this possiblity first off, personally I'd uninstall the firewall and see if the network functionality is there first. Then at least you'd know if you hooked everything up right. :sneaky:

What I've heard is that since AV/AS/Firewalls are installed at an almost kernal level, simply disabling it can sometimes do nothing, hence why I recommended temporarily uninstalling it to take one less level of complexity out of the situation.