Which codec pack would you choose?

mraeryceos

Which codec pack would you choose?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which codec pack would you choose?

• K-Lite Codec Pack
    • Matroska Pack
    • Satsuki Decoder Pack
    • Combined Community Codec Pack
    • Nimo Codec Pack
    • Other
    • Vista Codec Pack
    • XP Codec Pack
    • None
  2. 2. Which codec pack would you choose for your Mom that lives in another state and doesn't have VNC :-)

• K-Lite Codec Pack
    • Matroska Pack
    • Satsuki Decoder Pack
    • Combined Community Codec Pack
    • Nimo Codec Pack
    • XP Codec Pack
    • Vista Codec Pack
    • Other
    • None

• 9 months later...

K-Lite (mega) Codec Pack!

It is installed, updated, and uninstalled easily, seems to be updated regularly, and I don't see it as "bloated"

Sorry, I seen this thread listed with "View New Posts" and didn't realize that the banned knucklehead opened

this up again. I better check my other "Poll" post - :rolleyes:

Edited by gUiTaR_mIkE

dont use codec packs, I prefer to avoid them, I usually only use FFDShow and VLC and that suits me fine for everything.

As you can imagine, without stating WHY, everyone will question your motivations

dont use codec packs, I prefer to avoid them, I usually only use FFDShow and VLC and that suits me fine for everything.

As you can imagine, without stating WHY, everyone will question your motivations

because it makes life much simpler.

vlc can play just about anything.

because it makes life much simpler.

vlc can play just about anything.

Ok, I'll try it next time. In the past I was always coming across videos I couldn't play, until I got a codec pack. I've been using k-lite's basic pack, which did it for me. Maybe things have changed.

There's a fair amount of stuff VLC just won't play (its H.264 decoder seems especially crummy, has glitches, and 4x higher CPU usage than anything else -- when it even works). And the interface is one of the worst ever too. And the video post-processing options are extremely limited too (compared to ffdshow for example), and that makes a HUGE difference (sharpening, scaling and so on).

MPC HC is about a trillion times better IMO.

Plays mostly everything (I do however have ffdshow tryouts, ac3filter and haali splitter installed though), great interface, good keyboard bindings, good popup menus, nice subtitle support, can use great directshow codecs too (you can force it to use/not use some and so on), far more options in general, support for EVR renderer (looks great), playback of 1080p H.264 @ 10mbit (profile 4.1) using like 1% CPU usage with almost any recent vid card (using built-in decoder too -- no need for coreavc or anything), ditto for VC-1, built-in codecs for most common formats, great audio switcher and tons more.

VLC is better for supporting some rather obscure formats out of the box (although any media player with ffdshow tryout installed will play almost anything anyways), playing incomplete & damaged files, and streaming/transcoding. Besides that, it's so far behind MPC HC it's not even funny.

• 2 months later...

I'd go for K-Lite Codec Pack every time.

I don't have anyone who lives too far away that I cannot pop round and sort out any issues, but even then, all my friends & family members who's PC I've looked at, have either LogMeIn Free, UltraVNC or Remote Desktop installed, so I can just log in and sort any issues out pretty quickly.

• 3 weeks later...