BSOD when trying to use WiFi

Naki

I have a very simple issue, but hard to solve.

Hardware and software:

* WinXP Pro SP3.

* WiFi USB dongle, ZyXEL G-220 v2.

* ZyXEL WiFi Utility, allows Access Point mode. Without it, dongle works in client mode only, so other clients can't connect to PC (which is what I need).

* WiFi client connecting to PC: iPod Touch.

What I did and/or what happened that lead to this issue:

* Changed version (installed new one) of ZyXEL G-220 v2 Wireless Adapter Utility ---> this was changed by me. Changing it back does not help.

* Driver version of ZyXEL WiFi dongle (G-220 v2) changed, not sure how or why, but it is now a 2006 driver, instead of 2007 (or even 2008, don't remember exactly) ---> I don't remember changing this one, but it changed somehow. I can't seem to be able to install a newer driver now.

Problem:

When I try to run the ZyXEL G-220 v2 Wireless Adapter Utility

"D:\Program Files\ZyXEL\ZyXEL G-220 v2 Wireless Adapter Utility\ZyXEL G-220 v2.exe"

I get a BSOD, saying:

А problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

An attempt was made to write to read-only memory.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000BE

*** NDIS.sys - address BAE67898 base at BAE4A000, datestamp 48025d03

Also, when trying to update the WiFi USB dongle driver to newer version, getting this:

---------------

Cannot Install this Hardware

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name.

Click Finish to close the Wizard.

--------------

Many thanks for any help!

TAGS: WiFi USB ZyXEL BSOD 0x000000BE WinXP

The 8E you're getting means a driver on the system attempted to write to an address that was specifically marked as read-only. I would only be able to suggest that you completely uninstall the ZyXEL software and drivers, and do a reinstall of an older known-good version.

What was the reason for the upgrade, by the way?

• 2 weeks later...
The 8E you're getting means a driver on the system attempted to write to an address that was specifically marked as read-only. I would only be able to suggest that you completely uninstall the ZyXEL software and drivers, and do a reinstall of an older known-good version.

There is no facility in WinXP to uninstall a driver, which is not listed in Control Panel ---> Add or Remove Programs. If there is a way to do it, let me know how...

The reason was that the older version of the ZyXEL WiFi utility could not allow entering a WiFi password. The edit box simply didn't work.

Edited by Naki

There is no facility in WinXP to uninstall a driver, which is not listed in Control Panel ---> Add or Remove Programs. If there is a way to do it, let me know how...

The reason was that the older version of the ZyXEL WiFi utility could not allow entering a WiFi password. The edit box simply didn't work.

Start>Right Click My Computer>Properties>Hardware>Device Manager>Right Click Your Hardware>Properties>Driver>Uninstall

:)

Edited by James Hamilton