Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt

hoopbull

Hello all....

I am a newbie at Vlite.

I am attempting to install after stripping it of some components. After install, I get an error message telling me that there is an issue with the language, and that I must repair the language settings. The error message point to hal.dll:

Repair language settings

\windows\system32\hal.dll

Windows failed to load because the HAL is missing or corrupt

CAN SOMEONE HELP PLEASE?

I had the exact same error as hoopbull. Hal.dll was corrupt or missing.

and this is the template that I followed when configuring Vlite.

NOTE: By checking items, you REMOVE them. If you want to keep something, then leave in unchecked.

1# Accessories

Accessibility - If you have special needs for hearing or vision, like injuries, then do not check. Otherwise do.

Character Map - Preview of all the characters in a font. You know the alphabet, so check!

Disk Cleanup - Not necessary. Do rather install and use CCLeaner.

Games - The games are divided into two groups. You can check one, and keep the other, if you prefer. Not necessary to have, but always fun.

Mobility Center - If you've never used this feature before, then you can likely disable it.

Notepad - It is such a small file, and you can use it to many important things. Better keep it.

Paint - Like with Disk Cleanup, there is freeware out there which is far better.

Snipping Tool - A very light application that is used for the Print Screen-function.

Speech Support - This got nothing to do with microphone use. It let you controll your PC with your voice. Used by very few.

System Information - As the title suggests, it informs you about your hardware. You should use a 3rd party app instead, like Auslogics System Information.

Welcome Center - Absolutely waste of space. Check.

Windows Sidebar and Gadgets - It does consume a lot of your resources. If you want to have it despite this, then keep it.

Wordpad - A simple text editor. There are freeware better than this available on the web.

2# Drivers

TIP: Download the program "DriverMAX" and update all your drivers to the latest, safe version. Then export them into a folder that you've created, which you'll use to later integrate your own drivers into VLite. If you have done this, it is safe to check all the options

3# Hardware Support

TIP: When you check the devices in the "2# Drivers" section, you do not remove the support for these drivers. This means that you can still install a driver for the device. However, in this section, you cannot. If you check any of these, the device will not be able to function.

Dynamic Volume Manager - Only leave it if you use Windows Back-Up.

Firewire 1334 - If none of your Firewire ports are occupied, the item can be checked.

Floppy Disk Support - Remember those flat disks used in the old days? Do not use them anymore? Check!

Infrared Support - Technology used in very old laptops.

Internet Small Computer System Interface (iSCSI) - Used a lot by organizations, but not so much at home.

MicroSoft Multi Path-Bus - Safe to check.

Modem Support - Not many uses a modem these days. If you're not one of them, then check.

Printer Support - Leave this one unchecked if you have or plan to use a printer.

Smartcards - Unless you're one of the few who uses them, you can safely check.

TV-Tuner Support - If you don't have one, then check.

Windows HotStart - Some computers let you use programs without having to turn it on first. If you don't need this, check.

Windows Mobile Device Center - If you got any Windows Mobile devices, then keep this unchecked. Otherwise it's a space user.

Xbox 360-controller - Unless you're one of the extremely few using this one, you might as well check it.

4# Languages

Check All - Unless you have special needs, like having Chinese and Japanese symbols, then check.

5# Multimedia

Intel Indeo - Very old codec. Can just as well download K-Lite Mega Codec Pack and get rid of all codec problems.

Media Center - There is no concequences by removing this, but some people find it to be a nice addition and use it often. I don't.

Media Metadata Handler - Creates thumbnails/previews of your videos. Check if you do not want it.

Movie and DVD-Maker - It does have some nice functions, like dividing a movie into chapters. If you plan to use it, then leave it.

Music and Video Samples - The music and video files which are preinstalled with Vista. You're not going to use them, so check.

Photo Metadate Handler - I say keep this, as it separates all your photos apart.

Sample Pictures - They are just space users, so get rid of them.

Screensavers - A screensaver is not there for you to sit and watch on. Just use the plain black one by default and check this item.

Shell Event Sounds - These are the sounds in Windows, like when you open a window etc.

Sideshow - An alternate method of having a slideshow. Doesn't like that fancy either, so remove it.

Sound Recorder - This item is used for many things like recording your voice with a microphone. Many people need it, so I say leave it.

Wallpaper - NOTE: Do NOT click on the place where the wallpapers use to be on the first boot. Keep it if you're unsure about it, although it is a pretty large and unnecessary file.

Windows Calender - I find this organizer to be quite useful, but it is up to personal preferences about whether to remove or not.

Windows Media Codec - Windows Media Player cannot function without this one.

Windows Media Player - The web consists of many online videos based on WMP. So although you use a 3rd party app, you should not check.

Windows Photo Viewer - This is a very simple photo manager. It does its job great and I prefer it over any other 3rd party app. If you use one of those though, you can check this.

6# Network

Connect to a Network Projector - I see this being used on schools and in work. If you don't need to connect to a network projector though, just check it.

Distributed File System - You can check this one safely.

Link-Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) - Discovers your local networks. Leave unchecked, or you won't be able to go online.

Remote Desktop and Assistance - This one lets a person connect to your computer and controll it from his or her own. Don't use it? Check.

Remote Desktop Client - Same as above.

RIP Listener - Works together with the two above.

Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) - Used in larger networks. Can be checked for home users.

Simple TCPIP Services - Not installed by default, but it is useful, and the file is only 0,08 MB.

Telnet Client - Unless you use Telnet, it is safe to check.

Telnet Server - Unless you use Telnet, it is safe to check.

TFTP Client - Simple FTP-program used to upload files to web hotels etc. There are freeware which is much better if you need it.

Windows Colloboration - Can safely be checked

7# Services

Computer Browser - Used for larger networks. Safe to check.

DHCP - You should only disable this if you have a static IP. To find out whether you have it or not, press Windows + R and type "ipconfig /all". If it stands that DHCP is disabled, checking this item is okay.

Diagnostics - Hardware analysis. Not needed for the regular user.

Distributed Link Tracking Client - Not used by many people. So you can very likely check.

Distributed Transanction Coordinator - Same as above.

Error Reporting - If you're an angel, keep it and help MS in their work. If you don't have feelings left for it, get rid of it! :P

Interactive Services Detection - Keep it.

IP Helper - There's a certain risk in removing it, but it is most the time alright.

IPSec Policy Agent - Keep it.

MicroSoft DFS Replication - Safe to remove.

Protected Storage - Keep it for security.

Quality Windows Audio Video Experience - Improves sound quality. Not necessary, but the function is good.

Remote Access Auto Connection Manager - You might lose your internet if you check. So please don't. ^_^'

Remote Access Connection Manager - Same as above.

Remote Registry - Check.

Routing and Remote Access - Check if you're a home user.

Secondary Logon - The "Run as..." command. Does not apply to Administrator. Can be safely checked.

Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP) - Don't know what it is.

SSDP Discovery - Keep it.

Telephony - Needed for a lot of stuff, so keep it.

TPM Base Services - Don't know what it is.

Universal Plug and Play (UPNP) - Definitely keep it if you want all your small external devices to work!

User-mode Driver Framework - Don't know what it is.

WebDAV (WebClient) - Safe to check.

Windows Event Log - Keep it.

Windows Remote Management - Not necessary to have unchecked.

Windows Search - It provides lightning fast searches, but also uses resources. Hmm... tough call. I'd say use a 3rd party app like "Launchy".

Windows Time - Corrects your clock during summer/winter-time. I do this manually, but if you tend to forget, keep it.

8# System

16-bit support - With this you can launch old software that uses 16-bit. Safe to check for most.

Beep - The annoying beep when you push a button too many times at certain times. Remove only if you want.

Crash Dump Support - If you are used to Blue Screens of Death (or have never experienced one), then you can safely check.

Digital Locker - Keep it.

Digital Rights Management - If you dont buy/download drm-enabled windows media files then you can do without this component.

Disk Defragmenter - Check this one and install Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Disk Quota - Safe to check unless you have several drives with several partitions.

Guided Help - If you're unfamiliar with computers, leave it unchecked. If not, then sayonara.

Help - I very rarely use this one. Searching the web is often much more effective.

IMAPlv2 Burning Support - This is the integrated burning tool in Windows. You can still use a 3rd party app, like CDBurnerXP or Nero, when checked.

Jet Database Engine - Keep if you got Microsoft Access or Visual Basics. Otherwise remove.

Malicious Software Removal Tool - The latest version will be downloaded through Windows Updates automatically, so you can safely check this.

Manual Install (Setup.exe) - Keep it.

Microsoft Agent - If you're a complete newbie to computers, then... nah, you're not. Just check.

MicroSoft Message Queue (MSMQ) - Keep it.

Natural Language - Not as important as it sounds. Check.

Parental Controls - Got children in the house? If you plan to use it, then leave it unchecked.

Reliability and Performance Monitor - Most users don't need it.

Remote Differential Compression - Might increase transfere speed for files in checked.

Removable Storage Management - Keep it.

Run a Legacy CPL elevated - Never had any issues when having this checked.

Security Center - You are most likely capable of monitoring your security yourself. And that's all there is to it; monitoring. Safely check.

Software Quality Management (SQM) - Keep it.

Sync Center - If you are using Windows Mobile or are syncing anything else, then keep it.

Tablet PC - Useless if you do not got one.

User Account Control (UAC) - Waste of time and space to have this one.

Windows Back-Up - Manual back-up works just fine.

Windows Defender - Use something better. Seriously...

Windows Easy Transfer - Let you transfere your old computer's files to the new one. You can of course do this manually, and then check this item.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer - This item is connected to "Windows Photo Viewer", and should be left unchecked unless you use a 3rd party app like XnView.

Windows SAT - Unless you need to know how Windows rates your hardware, this really isn't a necessary component.

ZIP Folder - The default unzipper in Windows. You'll come much farther with a 3rd party app like WinRAR or PowerArchiver.

Like XP, does vista still uses the `boot.ini` file?

If yes then `hal.dll` has nothing to do with this error, because it's doing just fine.

The cause of the problem resides in the `boot.ini` file.

Most probably the OS ID line points to a wrong partition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-MaxBalboa

Like XP, does vista still uses the `boot.ini` file?

If yes then `hal.dll` has nothing to do with this error, because it's doing just fine.

The cause of the problem resides in the `boot.ini` file.

Most probably the OS ID line points to a wrong partition.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-MaxBalboa

Thanks Max. So what exactly can I do about my problem then? I only have one hard drive connected at a time and only one partition created when I Install Vlite Vista.

Btw. Using the original OEM Vista disk I can Install with no errors.

Thanks again.

Oh and just another bit of Information. I get the Hal.dll boot error even when I Vlite a copy of Vista but dont use Randomness' method. In other words I dont slipstream or add any drivers or anything else I just make a new vista disk using Vlite. I still get the Hal error.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am having the same exact problem, using Home Premium. Im trying to strip this one down to fit on a 4GB Compact Flash for my HTPC.

I have downloaded a preactivated version. It worked before i was using vlite to mess with it.

For testing im trying to install to vmware, but get this error everytime its finished.

Have also tried to replace the hal.dll file, this will give a NTOSKRNL.EXE is missing or corrupt.

Looks like its something to do with boot settings, however i have found that Vista is not using the boot.ini for bootloader,

so after i searched the net i found that in order to edit boot you need to use the bcdedit in command prompt.

Type bcdedit /? to get the overview. However everything appears to be good..

I have tried the repair option from the installer disk but it seems like it hangs. I waited 30min. but still nothing.

I will try to extend my patience today :lol: but im fairly certain that this will not help.

Edit: And it didnt: The repair option froze at eventlog.

The eventlog component is installed.

Will try to use other virtual software then vmware..

Edit: Ive tried the "vm" from sun, same error.

Im out of options, any suggestions??

Edited by XBMC_fan

This was caused but the issue of Windows Home Premium.

Solved!

Can you elaborate? I am having this same problem with the hal.dll error when using Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit. Are you saying vLite will not work with it for some reason? This is an OEM version from Dell but it has worked in previous releases of vLite. If no one knows how to fix this then I suppose I'll have to go try an older release. Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks

• 7 months later...