No Internet on Windows 98SE

lavet

We have a Windows 98 SE and would like to try to get it on internet, but it has the old style dial up and someone's number on it. It came from a Yardsale. We can play games and everything else on it, but would like to hook it up to internet. We currently have 2 computers, both XP. and they are running on a D-Link 604 Router. We have put in the Ethernet board, i think thats what you call it. And the light on the Router shows that it is hooked up. But we cannot internet. Is there something we can do to get rid of the old dial up system and have it like the xp's?

Edited by lavet

I assume you installed proper drivers for the network card. If the card is working ok then go to your control panel. Go to internet options and choose the connection tab. Select "never dial a connection". Now it should work.

do you mean pppop?using a user name and password to login?

windows 98 doesn't have pppop program to login internet.

so you must download enternet300 pppop software.you can find it on google.

Edited by aqcww

No. The computer is configured for Dial Up networking internet access. In case of the internet access through a lan card and router you do not need any connection application or anything like it.

To switch to the network adapter you have to change the settings in the Control Pannel - Internet Options - connections tab. Exactly as noguru said.

Edited by Sfor

Only other thing I can add is go into LAN settings and click Automatically detect settings. Have 2 Gateways one running 98SE and the other ME. I use US Robotics USB adaptors for them now, but did have the 98SE hooked up to my DSL gateway and that is all I needed.

Not that familiar with D-Links, but some older ones had a USB port, you probably could have connected to the 98SE that way. Ethernet connections work much better.

DLSayremn

Edited by dlsayremn