XP SP2 - with SATA drivers

whftherb

I need to do an XP Pro repair install. I do not have a floppy drive. I have the correct SATA drivers on HDD. Want to compile a CD with the SATA drivers resident. I have the correct XP CD files completely copied over to HDD. I have a folder for the SATA .inf file. nLite runs, I select the source folder, I select the "single driver" (.inf) file. I burn. Computer boots - I see "Boot from CD" for about 15 seconds. I do not get the "Hit any key to boot from CD". I tap any key - computer ignores me. Goes right to HDD and boots XP.

What did I miss?

Edited by whftherb

whftherb,

Don't know what you missed, but don't know much at all about what you are doing. What OS are you using to run nLite? What version of nLite are you using? Are you sure the source has not been nLited before? Do you have the BIOS set properly to boot from the CD? Have you tried putting the CD into a running system and see if it auto starts? You can cancel out of this. How did you burn your CD - nLite or burning SW (like Nero)? If you used burning SW, perhaps you did not get the tight boot sector written. nLite works fine in burning disks.

In order to see the repair option you will have to run the Unattended section and select Prompt Repair under Unattended Mode. I assume you are testing on hardware. I suggest you consider using VirtualPC or VirtualBox to test your ISO (assuming you are running 32 bit OS).

Please attach (not paste) your LastSession.ini.

With this information, people here might have a chance to help you.

Enjoy, John.

Let me see... I've not used anything like this before...

OS I'm using: Windows XP Pro SP2 - completely updated save SP3 (which I'm holding off on)

nLite vers: 1.4.9.1

Source is from my personal copy of XP Pro. Was copied to a HDD folder with standard copy protocol.

BIOS: Set to look for the optical drive first. It is booting from the optical.

CD - runs perfectly when inserted. I don't see the file VIASATA.inf in the root. Not sure if nLite "folds" it into another file when it processes. Am I supposed to see VIASATA.inf in the root or elsewhere? There are two other files in the WinXP folder of the driver disk - a .sys file and a .cat file. Should those have been included? NLite said to ensure only the INF was ticked.

Told nLite to make a disk image. Burned diskimage image with UltraISO - selected "Burn Cd/DVD image".

Quote - In order to see the repair option you will have to run the Unattended section and select Prompt Repair under Unattended Mode - I wasn't aware of that option. I've redone the entire project again to incorporate it.

I think what you've pointed out is that my sources in the "source" folder get modified. So in order to re-do this, I've made a fresh and unadulterated copy of the orig XP install media again.

Why do I need a repair install? Long story. Basically I cloned from a 160gB HDD to a 500gB HDD using Acronis TrueImage. But there is a problem somehow with the Shadow Volume Copy service/process. Any back up of the new drive, yields a BSOD - Bad_Pool_Header - stop code 19 - even using XP's native backup util. SFC yields no negative results. Chkdsk runs through without error. So, I'm attempting to set up a repair install to see if I can fix whatever corruption is causing this. Nonetheless, ultimately I may have to re-install from zero - which means I'll need the SATA driver(s) on the install media anyway.

I've redone it from scratch. At this point I'm going to hold off burning anything and will wait for an opinion about LastSession.ini.

LAST_SESSION.INI

OK, then I am going to need to re-do the project from the start again because txtsetup.oem was in the root of the driver disk and not the actual target folder. That's no problem, I can easily reload with another fresh copy of the files off the XP install media. Those other two files (.sys and cat) get somehow blended in at the time the incorporation process gets started, I guess. Oh, and I had mistyped the filename, which should be VIASRAID.inf. nLite calls this a SCSI driver, but I think that's just jargon.

On your #2, am I pressing F6 during the CD startup? I think that's what you meant when I see the "popup", right?

Edited by whftherb

Re-ran project this morning. Complete fresh copy of XP from the source CD. Now if the CD has SP2 incorporated, I assume that's fine. And indeed the selection in nLite came up prompting for which set I wanted. I chose the one at the end of the list. I've made the .ISO but haven't burned it yet. And, if this is done right, the modified CD should install SATA without the need of "Press F6..." and all that, right?

Would someone be so kind as to review the resultant LastSession.ini I've attached and tell me if I'm at least close?

Thanks.

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by whftherb

OK, folks, here's the real cause and a solution:

When I prepped the new disk, I was unaware that Seagate's Disk Wizard imposes a "disk signature" on the drive. Subsequently, I used my cloning software which went through and imposed the cloned image but this important "signature" was probably inconsistent and probably caused problems with the Volume Shadow Copy service used during the backup process. Whew! I was just lucky to find this.

Anyway, now I don't believe that IE7's cache was the corruption I was looking for. It was something completely unrelated but that's what happens when you have to "guess" at what the cause of an issue is with these things. I did learn how to create a boot disk with SATA drivers slipstreamed - something that I didn't even know was possible. And I did learn how to clean out IE7s caches - absolutely clean them out. I don't think a repair install is going to repair an inconsistent MBR. So I don't feel it's a total loss and now I'm going to set about re-cloning without Disk Wizard's help.

Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

whftherb,

Told nLite to make a disk image. Burned diskimage image with UltraISO - selected "Burn Cd/DVD image".

I am not familiar with UltraISO. Will it automatically include a boot sector? If you are unsure, use nLite to direct burn the image. I have never had a problem with using nLite to write both CDs and DVDs.

I cannot answer your questions about the various files in the image.

I think Kelsenellenelvian is talking about when you do the driver integration in nLite for the SATA drivers. The initial install phase is refereed to as text mode since there is no graphics support. When you get the message about 39 minutes to go (refereed to as T-39), Windows has switched to GUI mode. You should not need to push F6 during install. Integrating the text mode drivers should render this unnecessary.

Your LastSession.ini looks fine to me.

Good luck, John.