Ready to get my feet wet but don't know where 2 start

jacksprat199

Hello everyone, let me start off in that "I am noob" in what is going on in that your keeping win98se alive! A surprise to me that it was my favorite OS of all was being taken care of by great fans of it's simplicity and robustness. I feel I have fallen into a great bunch of people! I have questions as to how I can get "caught up to speed" with these updates that you all have put together and an order as to install these with a minimal of hassle (or system crash) lol! I've already installed Auto-patcher for SE but kind of clueless as to go from there to having a more stable and secure system. I would appreciate some guidance as to what I need to do next.

Now my question:

Vista has a feature called "readyboost" is it possible to implement such a thing into win98 and how so?

Update installing Unofficial Service Pack and USB2 generic driver.

In case of need an USB2 PCI/IDE card would increase transfer speed about 40x. It works with the generic driver, no need to install.

If you use an ATA drive, you may create an extended partition and as many logical units as you like without reinstalling. It would allow you

- Cloning Windows 98 to be booted alternatively from any logical unit.

- Double boot XP/Win98 and use Win98 to backup/restore XP from a previously saved .rar or .zip copy. Remember you must use FAT and every logical unit must have a size under 32 GB.

All that is explained with more details by different members in this forum.

HTH

Edited by cannie

• 3 weeks later...
Remember you must use FAT and every logical unit must have a size under 32 GB.
Preferrably FAT32.

And size can be far above 32GB, if you are using a 3rd party tool for formatting.

It's far easier to get started with a multi boot system, if you install Win9x first, onto a primary partition, as later it won't be able, to create boot routines from an NTFS partition.

But modern Win do know the trick, to install their boot menue into a FAT32.

Partitions for modern Windows versions don't have to be primary then, logical drives inside of an extended are OK..