Welcome to MSFN

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phaolo

Help on 2 registry tweaks (local activex + IE processes)

3 posts in this topic

I need a confirmation for these 2 tweaks before adding them to my unattended WinXp SP3 cd.

I am very dubious, are they correct or could they give security or system issues?

1- I can't use activex content in html files saved on my pc\cd unless I do these things:

A- put this line in the html pages: <!-- saved from url=(0015)about:localhost -->

B- Modify these registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN]

"iexplore.exe"="DWORD:0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\Settings]

"LOCALMACHINE_CD_UNLOCK"="DWORD:1"

C- add localhost to the "Local Internet" security zone

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\localhost]

"Default"="DWORD:1"

Does another method exist otherwise?

2- is separating iexplorer in various processes good? Can this cause instability or memory issues?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"SeparateProcess"="DWORD:1"

Edited by phaolo

B- Modify these registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN]

"iexplore.exe"="DWORD:0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_LOCALMACHINE_LOCKDOWN\Settings]

"LOCALMACHINE_CD_UNLOCK"="DWORD:1"

C- add localhost to the "Local Internet" security zone

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3]

"2201"="DWORD:0"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\localhost]

"Default"="DWORD:1"

id assume this would be safe, its just registry entries, if it doesnt work undo it, test on a virtual machine 1st

2- is separating iexplorer in various processes good? Can this cause instability or memory issues?

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]

"SeparateProcess"="DWORD:1"

this is safe, ive used it in the past, worked fine for me when i used it

BUT!!!!! why use IE? so much more flexibility with other browsers , safer aswell :hello:

Hey I'm not worried about the process of writing the registry. I was thinking about the method and content!

1: Is it ok to add localhost to the "Local Internet" security zone or could this cause security breach? Is this strange method the only way to fix the problem?

2: ok then, anyway I have Firefox too ;)

p.s: ops this is about another thing, I'll remove it: Zones\3 "2201"="DWORD:0"

Edited by phaolo