Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

multibooting linux with XP

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
HAI,
Can anyone give me a detailed procedure of how to create an DVD that can install windows and Linux distribution with an boot menu

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
Super-Disc: Multi-Boot Project CD/DVD Using ISOLINUX, A HOWTO and Conversation

Linux and Multi-Boot

These should get you started ;)

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
I sort of expected a beginner tutorial.But thanks a lot!!!!!!!

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
The only full blown tutorial I know of is Flyakite's guide. It's a bit old now though and focuses mainly on Windows and using CDShell (now discontinued) as the boot loader.

Edited by kof94, 30 September 2008 - 02:16 PM.

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
So i need to wait for someone to write a tutorial? that's great

phaeton

phaeton

• 36 posts
  • Joined 01-November 04
james,

When you figure it out you can post a tutorial for the next person that needs it ;) :thumbup

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
I've been making multi-boot discs for the last three years and apart from Flyakite's guide the bulk of my knowledge has been acquired right here in this forum.

Trail and error is the key as well as the ability to search (Google is your friend) and ask specific questions.

What I'm trying to say is... if your looking for an detailed guide that just happens to fit your exact needs you'll be waiting a long time.

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
thanks for the encouragement guys.Well i'll set on journey to create the guide that i wanted.(of course with trial and error)Can anyone give me booting process for linux ie(for xpCD it's PRO1.dat then setupldr.bin and then txt.sif) for linux i need one :hello:

Jotnar

Jotnar

• PipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
It all depends on the linux distro though most use ISOLinux to do the boot menu. Which one did you want to use?

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
well i wanted
DSL
Open Suse Live CD and not the Live CD
dont forget UBUNTU offcourse

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
Can anyone suggest me the best boot loader (which can handle any situations,like booting image,making menu,passing command to grub,..etc) :blink: :unsure:

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05
There is no best boot loader arround.
All have restrictions. There dosn't exist a boot loader using best features of all.

Some examples, not complete:

BCDW:
+does chainload setupldr.bin
+does hexedit setupldr.bin in RAM
+does chainload isolinux and grub4dos
-not developed since 2004, work arround for 2003 SP1 checksum not integrated
-fails at some newer strange BIOS
-works from CD/DVD only

Isoliux, part of sylinux project:
+activley developed
+a lot CD use this, therefore tested at a lot of hardware
-dosn't chainload setupldr.bin
-XP boot sector is requried, boot sector fails at rock ridge file system
-dosn't hexedit setupldr.bin in RAM

grub4dos:
+activley developed
+does chainload setupldr.bin
+swap drive order virtually
+works from CD, internal HDD, USB

As for a XP multi boot CD: BCDW
As for a windows and linux multi boot DVD: isolinux
As for a general multi boot DVD: grub4dos

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Joined 05-April 04

<snip>
Isoliux, part of sylinux project:
+activley developed
+a lot CD use this, therefore tested at a lot of hardware
-dosn't chainload setupldr.bin
-XP boot sector is requried, boot sector fails at rock ridge file system

<snip>

As for a XP multi boot CD: BCDW
As for a windows and linux multi boot DVD: isolinux
As for a general multi boot DVD: grub4dos

@cdob

I haven't tried this [yet], but w/ SYSLINUX-3.70, CHAIN can now load files like SETUPLDR.BIN, NTLDR, etc. Also the comment about 'boot sector fails at rock ridge filesystem', isn't that a limitation of Windows itself ? I encountered that problem from a SuperDisc of mine with FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows. Only Windows didn't work, but FreeBSD didn't work w/ RR enabled, so FreeBSD had to go !

I also would disagree w/ the last line: it's really a tossup bet G4D and ISOLINUX, as far as a general-purps multi-boot DVD system. G4D does surpass SYSLINUX as a g/p, all-media boot loader bec just two or three files do everything in G4D. G4D/GRUB can support really arcane and complex boot configurations, that SYSLINUX can't touch. But then how many people ever really need those features for a multi-boot CD/DVD ?

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

SYSLINUX-3.70, CHAIN can now load files like SETUPLDR.BIN

Thanks, I didn't recogniced this new feature so far.
However I'm used to use CAIN to chainload another hard disk in the past.
Does this refer to the same DVD too nowadays?

Also the comment about 'boot sector fails at rock ridge filesystem', isn't that a limitation of Windows itself ?

Yes, of course. But I can't change boot sector myself. I need a solution supporting my needs.

As for myself I like to use file system ISO9660:1999 and rock ridge at DVD.
My choosen boot environment has to support this.

But then how many people ever really need those features for a multi-boot CD/DVD ?

Sorry I used a wrong word: general. Let's say for some special features.

Overall I can't recomend a single boot loader: There is no best boot loader arround.
All have benefits and weak points.
I'm using BCDW, syslinux and grub4dos at different projects.

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Joined 05-April 04

Thanks, I didn't recogniced this new feature so far.
However I'm used to use CAIN to chainload another hard disk in the past.
Does this refer to the same DVD too nowadays?

I hope so.

Also the comment about 'boot sector fails at rock ridge filesystem', isn't that a limitation of Windows itself ?Yes, of course. But I can't change boot sector myself. I need a solution supporting my needs.

As for myself I like to use file system ISO9660:1999 and rock ridge at DVD.
My choosen boot environment has to support this.

What are the advantages of RockRidge ?

But then how many people ever really need those features for a multi-boot CD/DVD ?

Sorry I used a wrong word: general. Let's say for some special features.

Overall I can't recomend a single boot loader: There is no best boot loader arround.
All have benefits and weak points.
I'm using BCDW, syslinux and grub4dos at different projects.

No argument from me....

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04
To re-cap:
BCDW does perfectly a limited number of things, on CD/DVD only.

Syslinux/Memdisk/Isolinux do perfectly a greater number of things, both on CD/DVD and HD-like devices, but is more "Linux oriented", a derivative project, Siblo:
http://simplux.org/siblo/
might give some additional features more "NT oriented"

grub4dos has almost total "Linux compatibility", being derived from "legacy grub 0.97", it is also DOS and NT oriented, to which you can add several advanced features unavailable with the other programs, since a large number of Linux distro already use grub legacy, the menu.lst entries are compatible (or need on ly slight mods).

What I find "superior" in grub4dos is the fact that the SAME files (provided that the menu.lst is written appropriately) can normally be used with no modifications on CD/DVD, HD-like devices and floppy-like devices, and the .iso mapping feature, very very handy (for those OS with which it is compatible) in a multiboot environment.

But each program has it's own pluses and minuses, so, as cdob advised, there is not a "better" choice, they are tools, simply use the one that does the needed work better or faster.

jaclaz

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
Is there a tutorial on how to write an isolinux.cfg(very important for linux distributions,Isolinux bootloader).My multiboot CD is 800Mb in size Is there any tool that can fit it to a 700Mb CD. :whistle:

Edited by james_deepak, 08 October 2008 - 08:53 AM.

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

What are the advantages of RockRidge ?

ISO96660:1999 and RockRigge support long file names and my requirements. E.g. DOS, XP, PE and Knoppix at one DVD.
Joliet dosn't support long names: official 64 chars, does work up to 110 chars.

Actually RockRidge is not a addinal file system, that's a extension ot ISO9660.
Extension is included within ISO9660 possibilities.

Is there a tutorial on how to write an isolinux.cfg

http://www.msfn.org/...-Pr-t94398.html
http://syslinux.zyto...ex.php/SYSLINUX
Documentation within syslinux http://www.kernel.or.../boot/syslinux/

My multiboot CD is 800Mb in size Is there any tool that can fit it to a 700Mb CD. :whistle:

Of course: the tool is a proper CD writer.
Use gigarec=1.2 and write 840Mb at 700Mb media. :whistle:

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
RockRidge support basically allows you to add symlinks and Linux file perm's to your disc.

You usually need it for install cd's and things like the repo on the Ubuntu livecd's. In my experience it also breaks the XP install routine (because it can't read the disc anymore) but for some really weird reason has no effect on Win/BartPE.

ISO96660:1999 and RockRigge support long file names and my requirements. E.g. DOS, XP, PE and Knoppix at one DVD.
Joliet dosn't support long names: official 64 chars, does work up to 110 chars.

I'm now wondering if mkisofs -iso-level 4 (ISO96660:1999) fixes the XP install issue then.

Edited by kof94, 09 October 2008 - 05:46 PM.

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
is gigarec=1.2 a Overburning format. If so where can i enable it in Nero(any version) or other burner applications

jetman

jetman

• PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Joined 05-April 04

is gigarec=1.2 a Overburning format. If so where can i enable it in Nero(any version) or other burner applications

No, check this GOOGLE for more info about Gigarec. Overburning to the extent that you desire (800+ MB) is notoriously unreliable, specifically when moving the OB disc from PC to PC. Overburning in general isn't a recommended practice, bec depending on your drive, one can cause permanent damage to the drive. But it's like overclocking, most folks (incl myself) will push the envelope a bit since the cost of a optical drive isn't that great and the likelihood of damage is small (if you're not overambitious.) Personally, I only exceed the normal CD-R capacity by 10-30MB and have never regretted it (w/ a wrecked drive.)

IAC, if you desire > 700MB discs, you really should be thinking DVD-Rs, from a reliability and compatibility standpoint.

However, based on your questions, you should really start w/ simpler projects, that is projects that don't exceed 700MB. It seems that most newbies that find this forum have grandiose ambitions for these multi-boot discs, but very little experience. Every one that does have that experience (ie. jaclaz, cdob, kof94, and myself) has obtained that experience solely by way of hundreds of hours of experimentation and GOOGLEing. There is no short cut. The journey is worth it, though.

Good luck....Jet

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

(ie. jaclaz, cdob, kof94, and myself)

I personally vote for allowing you to bold your name too.... :thumbup
....though of course, it costs me some effort to say so, but remember (with BORG voice):

We are grub4dos. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

;)

Two years have just passed since this:
http://www.911cd.net...o...=18657&st=8

Why don't you try a test drive with the newish 0.4.4-pre:
http://nufans.net/grub4dos/

Latest:
http://nufans.net/gr...-2008-10-12.zip

Will probably be released as "official" 0.4.4 in a few days :), but no gfx enabled images yet. :(

jaclaz

james_deepak

james_deepak

• 13 posts
  • Joined 28-September 08
is'nt anyone interested in this?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,654 posts
  • Joined 23-July 04

is'nt anyone interested in this?

WHAT is the question? :unsure:

You asked about a possible way, you were given several choices, now, choose one and maybe someone can give you some related links.

jaclaz

kof94

kof94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Joined 28-November 05
@james_deepak

I hate quoting myself but I think you might have missed this one:

Trail and error is the key as well as the ability to search (Google is your friend) and ask specific questions.

If any of us feel that we can contribute to solving a specific issue for you then we will but we're not going to write a step-by-step tutorial when there is so much information here already.

I know it's frustrating but your not going to have an all-sing-all-dancing boot disc without putting in some effort.

For the last year or so I've spent a lot of my free time learning about how Linux works. I've done everything from Gentoo stages to (B)LFS and I'm still only a fraction of the way towards my goals.

Things just take time and if you keep waiting for someone else to do this for you then your not going to get anywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users