nlite or cablib.dll bug?

zamzon

How can nLite (1.4.9.1) or the cablib.dll claim that a driver.cab is corrupted (dialog box), although the very same file can be tested (verified) and unpacked (extraced) by other programs? I also tried 1.4.8 and another PC (both XP one SP3 other SP2). Both systems have at least 1GB and plenty of RAM free. The driver.cab is already modified once (by nlite) and about 77MB. An untouched driver.cab can be extraced and repacked successfully.

I found some other users, which faced the same error message, but there where no hints or answers to this issue, yet.

Thank you.

Thomas

zamzon,

It sounds like you have nLited the same source more than once. This often leads to errors that are multifarious and strange. I suggest to start with a fresh copy of your original CD files/folders and do all your integration in one nLite session.

Enjoy, John.

I'm having the same problem too,I have a Windows XP Pro SP2 and I'm getting this same DRIVER.cab error although the file is working and I've extracted it using other programs,but I have 2 points :

1) I'm sure I've used an earlier version of nLite on this exact copy with success even with the SP3 slipstreaming, so this is a new problem at least for me, I'm trying to download an older version atm to test with it.

2) When I tried to unpack the DRIVERS.cab file using Winrar 3.70/3.80 & powerArchiver 10, I got an error telling me it was corrupted, but the file worked fine when I tried extracting it using 7-Zip & Universal Extractor, no idea if this means anything just thought to put it out.

Edit : I've tested with nLite 1.4.7 and still have the same problem, so I'm wondering, is it possible for me to extract the DRIVERS.cab file for nLite into the "XP Source/drivertmp" folder it creates to avoid the error and then the software can continue from there normally ?

Edited by toolazy

Hi John, thank you for your answer:

> I suggest to start with a fresh copy of your original CD files/folders and do all your integration in one nLite session.

Unfortunately I'd just like to add some SATA drivers my board needs to an already pretty nice enhanced installation. So this is no very attracive solution to me.

> It sounds like you have nLited the same source more than once. This often leads to errors that are multifarious and strange.

But to make the behaviour less 'strange': Has anyone any idea if nLite (or cablib) might 'expect' anything in or of the driver CAB?

How does the CAB file corruption check (introduced in 1.3?) work?

Can I get any closer to the source of the error? E.g. the results of cablib.dll which obviously get's interpreted by nLite (maybe in the wrong manner)?

toolazy wrote:

> 2) When I tried to unpack the DRIVERS.cab file using Winrar 3.70/3.80 & powerArchiver 10, I got an error telling me it was corrupted, but the file worked fine

> when I tried extracting it using 7-Zip & Universal Extractor, no idea if this means anything just thought to put it out.

O.K. There seems to be different 'feature(sets)' or versions of CABs. I'll try to dig there..

Thank you.

Edited by zamzon

zamzon and toolazy,

I think you will have to try to contact nuhi to get the type of answers you are seeking (try e-mail or PM). I certainly cannot help in this area. Perhaps someone else can respond. I would surely like to hear the ultimate answer.

Good luck, John.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dear All,

After thorough testing, I've confirmed that there is an error in cablib.dll or its implementation in nLite.

I've tested it in nLite Versions 1.4.8, 1.4.9 and 1.4.9.1

Whenever I go to the point where the driver.cab extraction begins, the error pops up:

I also tried to substitute the cablib.dll with the latest version (9.9.0.0), but when it is replaced, nLite application completely fails.

"

X:\xxx\i386\driver.cab is damaged.

This is a very serious error ...

"

Otherwise, I think that nLite is a great software.

My environment is:

Windows XP SP3 32-bit freshly installed on VMWare with 512 Mb RAM.

Trying to add up more items (addons) to Windows XP SP3 32-bit version, plus some parameter tweaking.

Hope that this information helps.

Dear All,

After thorough testing, I've confirmed that there is an error in cablib.dll or its implementation in nLite.

I've tested it in nLite Versions 1.4.8, 1.4.9 and 1.4.9.1

Whenever I go to the point where the driver.cab extraction begins, the error pops up:

I can concur with this, and add some more details which may help zero in on the problem.

I have also received the errors (there are multiple errors, but the basic one states that the CAB is not a cabinet file) when attempting to slipstream from XP with SP3.

Specifically, the failure occurred for me on XP Professional with SP3 (x86) Retail. This is the ISO downloaded straight from Microsoft, so it's the latest, released, good copy. I used Daemon to load it into an emulated CD drive and copy the contents of the ISO (minus the autorun.inf) to a folder on my nLite workstation.

I then started nLite (1.4.1 [OK, I hadn't updated in a while..] and 1.4.9.1, both fail identically BTW) and pointed it to the copied folder. The errors occurred immediately upon pointing to this folder; I did nothing else; proceeding only caused further errors and failures.

Further Strangeness: XP Home SP3 x86 Retail did NOT produce errors, in fact nLite worked perfectly to slipstream drivers onto the installation, and the resulting ISO installed without error. The XP Home was also downloaded from Microsoft.

Last wierdness: I downloaded XP Pro SP2 x86 Retail ISO from MS after the above downloads, and slipstreamed in SP3 as well as my target drivers etc, and this processed to an ISO without error; and the ISO installs OK (the target machine BSODs on install drivers in setup phase 2, but I suspect I have a wrong/bad driver, rather than some failure of nLite, since the CD installs XP and it comes up OK after the reboot).

If you need to install XP Pro, I suggest using this latter technique until the problem can be resolved.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I also tried to create an iso using nlite (newest version). I'm using XP Pro, SP3 (MSDNAA version). When I try to load the files I get an cablib error, too.

Anyone got an idea how to solve this? I downloaded the xp source twice from our university homepage, so I think it's not the source of the error.

Some of the "corrupted" files are:

netrass nettcpiip netmscli netserv syssetup sfc_os tcpip ux theme and usb usbportsys

When I replace them with the files of an oem windows sp2 it can load all the files but crashes when it tries to create the iso image.

(I can not use the sp2 cd, because non-oem keys don't work with oem cd's)

Any help?

@Takino

Has a Last Session.ini been created (find it in C:\Program FIles\nLite\Presets or in the XP working folder)? If so, could you please post it? If not, provide more info on what else you are using, as add-ons, drivers, tweaks etc., or what you are trying to remove.

Welcome to MSFN

@Takino

Has a Last Session.ini been created (find it in C:\Program FIles\nLite\Presets or in the XP working folder)? If so, could you please post it? If not, provide more info on what else you are using, as add-ons, drivers, tweaks etc., or what you are trying to remove.

Welcome to MSFN

Thank you for the welcome :)

No, the second try crashed without creating an seassion.ini. And the first error occurs before I even have a chance to choose any tweaks, add-ons etc. (I write first and second time, but I tried the same attemps a few times). It's really the first step when I try to load the windows xp files :/

What I use:

An windows xp prof. SP3 image, provided by msdnaa

nlite 1.4.9.1; 1.4.9 and 1.4.8

no addons, drivers, the error occurs before that

The "corrupted files are http://bonklers.com/downloads/files.rar there, at least the files needed in the beginning :/