how do i add/remove pitcures for the wallpaper folder?

using winxp pro sp3

how do i add my own pics to the directory "C:\WINDOWS\WEB\WALLPAPER". and how do i delete pictures out of there? and also how do i make it so i can add a folder in say like "my documents" or "desktop"?

one other thing is there a way to make a theme from a program from say like stylexp, windows blinds and/or Visual Styles and also have the background i put for it and be able to apply to my cd im makeing?

• 2 weeks later...

using winxp pro sp3

how do i add my own pics to the directory "C:\WINDOWS\WEB\WALLPAPER". and how do i delete pictures out of there? and also how do i make it so i can add a folder in say like "my documents" or "desktop"?

one other thing is there a way to make a theme from a program from say like stylexp, windows blinds and/or Visual Styles and also have the background i put for it and be able to apply to my cd im makeing?

The normal pictures that are there can be removed by using nLite.

To add pics into the folder goto your source on your HDD (source being the folder which contains your I386 folder for you customised version) and create the following folder structure;

$OEM$\$$\web\wallpaper

Into this folder place your wallpapers that you want and they will be copied over when XP is installed.

Visual themes can be added by using the UXTheme patch built into nLite and by placing the theme you want into the following folder structure of your source cd;

$OEM$\$$\Resources

Into this folder place your theme file and folder and then you need to edit your WINNT.SIF file in notepad and add the following;

[Shell]
CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\[YourThemeNameHere].theme"

and that should be it.

using winxp pro sp3

The normal pictures that are there can be removed by using nLite.

To add pics into the folder goto your source on your HDD (source being the folder which contains your I386 folder for you customised version) and create the following folder structure;

$OEM$\$$\web\wallpaper

Into this folder place your wallpapers that you want and they will be copied over when XP is installed.

Visual themes can be added by using the UXTheme patch built into nLite and by placing the theme you want into the following folder structure of your source cd;

$OEM$\$$\Resources

Into this folder place your theme file and folder and then you need to edit your WINNT.SIF file in notepad and add the following;

[Shell]
CustomDefaultThemeFile="%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\[YourThemeNameHere].theme"

and that should be it.

ahhh ok cool thanks.

oh one more thing the ".BMP" image that is named "Startup" in the directory "c:\windows\web\wallpaper" is a picture i found that allows a second startup screen and I've looked it up and apparently no one knows about it (well never found any thing on it) but if you put any picture in there in the ".BMP" format and name it "Startup" and restart your computer it brings that picture up after the loading screen/Boot screen and then the logon screen, but any ways my question is in this winxp pro sp3, i cant find it any where in the folders and so i don't know how to make it over write it when installing winxp i tried the "$OEM$\$$\web\wallpaper" and the one i put in there was not in it, it was just the same one as before....

BTW the picture im pretty sure can be any size (i tried 1024-768 and 800-600) and any bit color (i tried 256/8bit, 16/4bit)

sorry.. but one more thing, when i make my own boot screen (using reshack on ntoskrnl.exe) and try to install it it freezes at 35 min. left but at the same time I'm testing it on "microsoft virtual pc 2007" so I'm not sure if its the program, cause i installed one i made about a month ago on the computer its self and it didn't do it

Edited by BOBCAMO

Your boot screen problem i have no idea about m8 im afraid i gave up on that one ages ago, as for the Startup.BMP i have never seen/found this in my own install i have removed ALL the wallpapers and installed a theme with its own wallpaper to be used at startup i found that to be the easiest way to solve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Stoner81.

Your boot screen problem i have no idea about m8 im afraid i gave up on that one ages ago, as for the Startup.BMP i have never seen/found this in my own install i have removed ALL the wallpapers and installed a theme with its own wallpaper to be used at startup i found that to be the easiest way to solve this problem.

Hope this helps.

Stoner81.

yeah the boot screen is a b**ch cause it cant be a very good looking picture the only thing im stuck on is how to make it work when i install winxp, i did test it out and it didnt freeze my computer but the bootscreen went back to normal which im p***ed about but oh well.

yeah you should try that picture out, just have any of your pictures you like and just name it "Startup" and use any image editing program to convert it into ".BMP" i used irfanview, then put it in the directory of..."C:\windows\web\wallpaper" but after that just restart your computer and after the loading/boot screen and you will see your picture, not sure if it will work with other windows but the one im using is winxp pro sp3. but yeah ill try to keep looking around and what not, thanks for the reply tho.

BTW stoner81 how did you remove the wallpapers?

Edited by BOBCAMO

... and also how do i make it so i can add a folder in say like "my documents" or "desktop"?

edit WallPaperDir from this registry location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Edited by mau-yong

If i want change the wallpapers for default how to i do it? Sorry for my english :blushing:

oh are you talking about how to make it so when you install windows you want your own wallpaper to show as default?

i actually dont know but one sec im pretty sure i can find it....

ok well i think i found it here is the URL

http://www.msfn.org/board/change-default-w...ded#entry493628

if your not sure i can always test it for you. just ask and ill try it out :)

Edited by BOBCAMO

I addeded my own defult them by going into the i386 folder, and modifying the WINNT.SIF file.

I aded the following line:

[shell]

CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\Classic l Blue.theme"

This theme is copied over from the disc, and is located at %CDROM%\$OEM$\$$\Resources\Themes

The theme file is usually located at C:\Windows\Resources\Themes, and can be copied over to it's proper place on the disc.

Of course, I had to set the theme up the way I wanted it first, and placed all of the needed files in their proper place within the %CDROM%\$OEM$\$$\ folder.

My cursors>%CDROM%\$OEM$\$$\Cursors

My screensaver>%CDROM%\$OEM$\$$\system32

My wallpapers>%CDROM%\$OEM$\$$\Web\Wallpaper

This will copy everything over to the proper place within the C:\Windows folder, and allow the theme to work properly when set as default. The result of this is a complete them replacement for the default Windows XP install.