I am fixing a XP SP2 problem.
It is connect to a cable modem. No router. standalone, in a windows group(not domain). No proxy. I verified the following:
1. Network is getting correct info via DHCP including DNS addresses
2. NSLookup is resolving names correctly
3. I can ping machines on the internet by IP address
4. I can ping local machines by name and IP
5. When I try to ping an external machine by name (e.g., www.excite.com), I get the following error: Ping command could not find host www.excite.com. Please check the name ....
6. Pinging excite by IP (18.104.22.168) works correctly.
7. Use the resolved IP by nslookup (e.g. 22.214.171.124), can open the web page.
8. Use network packet capture tool, Microsoft network monitor, found that when I use ping to resolve a name, it did not send DNS package, but NetBios Package.
I tried uninstalling and reconfiguring NIC
I tried ipconfig /flushdns
The DNS client is running and I don't see any errors in the event log
I tried to uninstall the anti-virus soft, disable the firewall.
Edited by finnce, 11 October 2008 - 11:32 AM.