Universal Extractor 1.6 Bug Reports

nitro322

Please report any bugs that you find in this thread. When filing a bug report, please be sure to include the UniExtract version, Windows version, a detailed description of the problem (or screenshot), and download links to sample files when appropriate.

In general, you should only file bug reports for the latest stable and/or beta versions of Universal Extractor. If you find a bug in an older version, please first upgrade to the current version to see if it's already been resolved. I also strongly suggest searching through this subforum, as well as reviewing the UniExtract ChangeLog and ToDo files to see if the problem has already been discussed.

Any general questions, support requests, or other UniExtract discussion should be posted to other topics in this forum.

Edited by nitro322

As you requested in the 'main' thread:

Installer:

On the 5th screen, "Set Program Options", the bottom row of pixels on the "Warn before executing files" check box has been cut off.

Vista:

No problems here, installed without issue!

NoInst:

In order for it to be considered 'truly portable' it should place debug files inside the UniExtract directory by default.

General:

I went through a handful of archives and it had no problem extracting them all.

I'll add more as I find them.

Can't wait for the final!

Thanks for the extremely quick reply. :-)

Installer:

On the 5th screen, "Set Program Options", the bottom row of pixels on the "Warn before executing files" check box has been cut off.

I can't replicate this. What version of Windows are you using, and what theme? Maybe it's a font size problem. Any chance you could provide a screenshot?

NoInst:

In order for it to be considered 'truly portable' it should place debug files inside the UniExtract directory by default.

I don't really disagree with you, but when people use the term "portable" today they're usually referring to running apps off of some type of portable solid state device. Since these devices have a finite number of write cycles, I thought it better to write the debug files out to the %temp% directory on the main hard drive.

Perhaps a better approach would be to make debug files themselves optional? Eg., if running in portable mode, just don't create any debug files at all.

I'll add more as I find them.

Can't wait for the final!

Excellent, and thanks again.

I can't replicate this. What version of Windows are you using, and what theme? Maybe it's a font size problem. Any chance you could provide a screenshot?
post-113263-1223778372_thumb.jpg

Vista Home Premium SP1, default Aero theme, default font size. It looks like the separator line is covering up the box and part of the text. Maybe just add some extra buffer space?

I don't really disagree with you, but when people use the term "portable" today they're usually referring to running apps off of some type of portable solid state device. Since these devices have a finite number of write cycles, I thought it better to write the debug files out to the %temp% directory on the main hard drive.
Well, I'm used to thinking to the extreme, a 'truly portable' program leaves no remnants on the host computer.
Perhaps a better approach would be to make debug files themselves optional? Eg., if running in portable mode, just don't create any debug files at all.
Making debug files optional would be great, have an option in the preferences to enable/disable debug files?

Vista Home Premium SP1, default Aero theme, default font size. It looks like the separator line is covering up the box and part of the text. Maybe just add some extra buffer space?

I'm using a custom dialog window here, so maybe Inno Setup doesn't automatically ad a vertical scroll bar when necessary like it does with the other dialog windows. I'll need to investigate this.

Making debug files optional would be great, have an option in the preferences to enable/disable debug files?

That works for me, though it won't be done until the next version. Feel like adding it to the feature request thread?

I'm using a custom dialog window here, so maybe Inno Setup doesn't automatically ad a vertical scroll bar when necessary like it does with the other dialog windows. I'll need to investigate this.

Crap. I was able to confirm that this is exactly what's happening by simply adding another checkbox to the window, but I have no idea how to actually fix it. Just getting the custom dialog in the first place was difficult enough. :-( I'll mess around with it and see if I can make it work, but worse case this may be pushed off until 1.7.

Thanks for reporting this, though. Obviously this is something that needs to be fixed, though it's impact right now is fairly minimal.

Crap. I was able to confirm that this is exactly what's happening by simply adding another checkbox to the window, but I have no idea how to actually fix it. Just getting the custom dialog in the first place was difficult enough. :-( I'll mess around with it and see if I can make it work, but worse case this may be pushed off until 1.7.

Thanks for reporting this, though. Obviously this is something that needs to be fixed, though it's impact right now is fairly minimal.

Maybe a dirty little trick would be to add an empty text label at the bottom? :sneaky:

Also, I found a bug with with the main program. If the /prefs switch is used, and the user closes the window without pressing 'OK', UniExtract sets idle in the system tray until the user manually closes it.

Also, I found a bug with with the main program. If the /prefs switch is used, and the user closes the window without pressing 'OK', UniExtract sets idle in the system tray until the user manually closes it.

Dude, that's some hardcore testing right there. I actually found that myself earlier tonight while working on some documentation updates, but I didn't bother mentioning it because I didn't think anyone would actually notice. :-) It's already been fixed.

There seems to be an error in the source archive, more specifically I am unable to compile a working binary.

Even when starting with the unmodified source, I get this error:

post-113263-1224312284_thumb.jpg

A quick Google search for WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES, tells me to insert:

#include <WindowsConstants.au3>

in with the other #include entries.

After that I get a working source, and can then enter my own tweaks (thanks to your new /prefs code I have my /sub code down to 11 lines!). :thumbup

PS. Your link to the "Latest Version" thread, in the UE 1.5 thread, is broken.

Edited by mushu13

There seems to be an error in the source archive, more specifically I am unable to compile a working binary.

What version of AutoIt are you using? I seem to recall seeing a number of incompatible changes in the most recent release, so I stuck with the version I was using when last doing active development, which was 3.2.10.0. I didn't want to risk introducing any new bugs this late in the release cycle. Can you try compiling with 3.2.10.0 and let me know if that works? I can add a warning note about it on my website.

Edit: These are the changes I mentioned. I see a couple of lines in there related to constants and includes.

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/s...ing_changes.htm

PS. Your link to the "Latest Version" thread, in the UE 1.5 thread, is broken.

Cool, thanks. Will get it fixed.

Edited by nitro322

What version of AutoIt are you using?
I am using the newest version, 3.2.12.1.
Can you try compiling with 3.2.10.0 and let me know if that works?
Rolled back and compiled with 3.2.10.0 and it had no problems.

Thanks for the clarification! :thumbup

Also, to make it compatible with the newest version, it also needs:

#include <ComboConstants.au3>

and possibly:

#include <StaticConstants.au3>

I also noticed some functional changes Adding files using the filepicker is broken, and there may be other problems as well.

If you want to roll your own build, I highly recommend sticking with AutoIt 3.2.10.x for now.

Edit: Nevermind. The filepicker issue I mentioned above is actually a bug in my code. If you use the Preferences GUI to toggle the history option, and then select a file using the filepicker without first restarting UniExtract, it will output the file name incorrectly to the input box. I'll fix this in 1.6.1, as well as, obviously, updating it to use the latest version of AutoIt.

However, there still may be some other changes when used with 3.2.12.0, and I still recommend sticking with 3.2.10.x just to play it safe.

Edited by nitro322

• 3 months later...

I wanted to extract files converted by flash to exe.

I have also seen portable executable format which has all files in one place in exe.

It runs without installation or unpacking. Is it possible to extract files from such programmes using uniextract?

Thanks

Anil

• 5 months later...

Universal Extractor 1.6 incorrectly identifies self extracting disk image files (.imz) as 7z archives adding the following to check7z() corrects the issue and allows these files to be expanded.

;prevent flase positives on self-extracting disk image files (ie imz files)

runwait($cmd & $7z & ' t "' & $file & '"' & $output, $filedir, @SW_HIDE)

$infile = fileopen($debugfile, 0)

$line = filereadline($infile)

do

if stringinstr($line, "error") then

fileclose($infile)

filedelete($debugfile)

splashoff()

$7zfailed = true;

return false;

endif

$line = filereadline($infile)

until @error

• 3 months later...

Hi!

File:

http://cache-www.belkin.com/support/dl/f5d...03.00.02_w2.exe

contains data1.cab, data1.hdr and data2.cab. Zipscan can extract from the cab files just fine using the zd51145.dll from UE, but UE says data1.cab is not an archive?!?!?

Oh, and no an unrelated note, when i tried to post a new topic for this i was getting kicked right back at the main page of the forums, but replying to this thread seems to work alright.

ps: thanks for UE, i still use and love it