Universal Extractor 1.6 Bug Reports

nitro322

Due to lack of response by nitro322, I integrated my changes into the code, and ...

I present UniExtract 1.6.1.1 UNOFFICIAL BUILD.

DISCLAIMER - This is NOT an OFFICIAL BUILD by nitro. It has only BEEN TESTED on MY SYSTEM, and I have a far from normal setup.

The changelog is as follows:

1.6.1.1 - UNOFFICIAL (06/06/2010)
Fixed support for Firefox installer - removed one FEAD signature from PEID database
Removed MSI TC Packer plugin
Updated 7-zip to version 9.14
Changed zoo archive extractor - unzoo instead of barebones ooz

Note: although the fead signature removal fixes support greatly, it may break FEAD support. If you find a problem, please report it here.

@radix and frmariam - I tested with my build, and they work now. This is a direct consequence of removing that FEAD signature mentioned above.

@KarlM - This has been fixed in my build (see above for more details)

@jsp - I'm not sure what you mean by this, but please retest with my build and report the results.

The archive is uploaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?ggjtikoqdzx.

Just extract it, and replace the UniExtract.exe in the uniextract directory.

amritlohia / isx99

Edited by amritlohia

One file extracted twice. Files are identical (MD5 checked).

Is this bug of innounp ?

I see it often, even with 'pure' innounp. I think that's a 'feature' of Inno Setup - files ,1 and ,2 are sometimes different, I think when they're destined for different operating systems - unicode and ANSI versions maybe? They're supposed to be renamed without the comma for the OS you're installing it on. I'm pretty sure I've seen that on installs destined both for Win9X and NT*.*, but it was quite some time ago. But most of the time they're identical.

GL

@Surfer - your first file extracts correctly in my unofficial build (see previous post), as a 7-zip package. This as I changed 7-zip so it comes before Installexplorer.

- your second file - confirmed, I have no idea why, though.

@GrofLugi - I think you might be right, but the only way to find out is to contact the developers of the installation maker they used.

Oh, by the way, I made a new build, 1.6.1.2. The only change was moving 7-zip before InstallExplorer. Surfer, please download the it, and retest.

The link is: http://www.mediafire.com/?nmuzgtb32yy. Just extract it, and replace it as UniExtract.exe in the uniextract folder.

Update: I forgot to update 7-zip. Please download 7-zip 9.14 from their website, and replace it in the uniextract bin directory.

Edited by amritlohia

I ran Universal Extractor earlier against an Inno Setup file and it failed to extract. Copying the latest Inno Unpacker to the Bin folder solved the problem so you may want to check for updates of that app.

I ran Universal Extractor earlier against an Inno Setup file and it failed to extract. Copying the latest Inno Unpacker to the Bin folder solved the problem so you may want to check for updates of that app.

Please test with my unofficial build 1.6.1.2 (see previous post). I checked and InnoUnp is still at 0.31, which is the same version included in UniExtract.

Please test with my unofficial build 1.6.1.2 (see previous post). I checked and InnoUnp is still at 0.31, which is the same version included in UniExtract.

That seems to have it. I guess I just fell behind in the updates to Universal Extractor and it's all my fault.

Thanks a million and I hope development on this project doesn't come to a grinding halt again, it's been a very handy tool and gets constant use on my systems.

This is unpacked incorrectly (some .jpegs are truncated).

Verified with install VS unpack.

UE 1.6.1 says it's NullSoft Installer installer. :)

It's using Install Explorer. Previously, with whatever unpacked NSIS, it was OK.

GL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Surfer - Unfortunately, install_flash_player.exe cannot be supported. The new Adobe Flash Player installers are made using Adobe AIR.

Currently, there is no known way to extract this format.

Hanschke - When I attempt to download your file, I get a HTTP 404 (File Not Found) error. Can you upload it somewhere else?

(Oh, and sorry for the long absence, just got busy with other things)

• 2 weeks later...

UniEx can't unpack the current Skype Beta (v5) installer-- unless it's unUPXed first. If I manually unpack it with UPX.EXE (new version, by the way) first, then let UniEx have another go, then tell it it's not dealing with an InstallShield archive, it eventually defaults to 7-Zip (I think) and unpacks what I think is a 7-Zip or LZMA archive with a stub installer.

Consider a UPX check before the other tests?

• 1 month later...

Still find many msi files that aren't correctly extracted... I tried jsmsi.dll coupled with a vb script in my old pc in the past (my new with Win7 blocks the script) and it seemed to work better than the current methods (I always avoid admin instalation method... and it's useless in public pcs where we have no rights). Could you please test it and see if it's any better?

My old pc died so I can't use it anymore (nor Lessmsierables)... Here are some MSIs not correctly extracted (not counting admin setup) TortoiseSVN and 7zip.

Also NSIS setup failure in the official build still exist (hope you didn't forget... CCleaner is one of the affected programs)... I don't know if it's a x64 issue (running Win7 x64 machine)? The last build of UE 1.6.1 that worked with this sort of setup was beta 1 (which is the one I'm currently using). Would nice to have this fixed even though I've never had any issues with the beta (but I wonder if the final version supports more stuff or has any bugfixes).

PS: Could you host in your website the noinst pack as a ZIP archive rather than RAR? I ofter find the need to use some apps in public pcs where I have no admin privileges and don't have a proper archive program. Since all latest Windows releases have native zip support this would save me the need to download Portable7zip just to extract UE bin archive.

Edited by frmariam

• 6 months later...

Universal Extractor, latest version 1.6.1 -

Using both the Self-Installer and the .rar file.

System hangs at the 'ExtractMHT.exe' file - it took nearly 5 minutes of just waiting before the setup continued.

Same thing happened with the .rar file, the my system hung for nearly 5 minutes trying to extract that file.

System details:

Lenovo T61 Laptop, Core2Duo 2.0ghz

2gb RAM

160gb HDD

Running Windows XP Professional SP3