Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Universal Extractor 1.6 Bug Reports

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
I have some more suggestions:

AspackDie could be replaced or complemented with Anti-ASPack - http://www.woodmann....ers/Antiasp.zip
BareBones OOZ could be replaced or complemented with UnZoo - http://archives.math.../util/unzoo.exe

This is a freely redistributable unpacker for PECompact: http://ap0x.jezgra.net/RL!dePeCompact 2.x.rar

UnUHARC should be removed, as you have stated that a legitimate source cannot be found.

Your program cannot extract installers created with JGSoft DeployMaster (http://www.deploymaster.com)
When I extract one, it just creates a file called [~0].
I have zipped up two sample installers of this type here: http://www.mediafire.com/?yyfzjzn1vey
(The first one is their installer, made using their product, and the second one is a sample made by me)

Edited by amritlohia, 25 May 2010 - 09:22 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
  • Joined 05-November 04

U.E. 1.6.1 can extract files from .imz and .ima image files, but can't extract files from winimage sfx archives (upx compressed).
I've uploaded an example:

Support is there, but it's not detecting the file properly. It's trying to unpack it as a FEAD file, same as the other commenter posted about the Firefox installer. This is another consequence of shuffling around 7-Zip.

I think I caught a bug in UniExtract 1.6.1.
When extracting Firefox 3.6.3 Installer, it used to extract correctly as a 7-zip package in 1.6
But in 1.6.1, it extracts as a FEAD package, which is incorrect.

Confirmed - thanks for the report.

AspackDie could be replaced or complemented with Anti-ASPack - http://www.woodmann....ers/Antiasp.zip
BareBones OOZ could be replaced or complemented with UnZoo - http://archives.math.../util/unzoo.exe
This is a freely redistributable unpacker for PECompact: http://ap0x.jezgra.net/RL!dePeCompact 2.x.rar

I'm always up for checking out newer/better alternatives. Thanks for the links.

UnUHARC should be removed, as you have stated that a legitimate source cannot be found.

I can't find a legit download source now, but the binaries themselves, best I can tell, are freely redistributable. As a result, there shouldn't be a problem keeping them included.

Your program cannot extract installers created with JGSoft DeployMaster (http://www.deploymaster.com)
When I extract one, it just creates a file called [~0].

That's 7-Zip's new generic .exe resource extraction at work. It doesn't seem to work all that well, though, and it's definitely causing me other problems with file type detection and extraction order, as discussed previously. You might be able to extract files from the 0 file by renaming it to include a few different extensions (0.exe, 0.cab, etc.) and running UniExtract on i. I have seen that work once before, but mostly not.

Thanks for the installer examples. I'll add them to the list to check out.

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
I renamed the [0] file to 0.exe, and ran uniextract on it.
The result was just some files with the names .idata, .rdata and some others.

KarlM

KarlM
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 02-June 10
Hi All...

When I use Universal Extractor 1.6.1 to extract the contents of an installer downloaded from,

http://sourceforge.n...41.exe/download

the folders have funny names and some files are missing. But when I rename it to a zip file
I can extract it correctly with 7-zip 9.13 beta.

I did not have this problem with the previous version of Universal Extractor.

Thanks,

...Karl

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
Update: Please disregard Anti-AsPack. I tested it and it won't launch.
The error given is 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application'.

Also disregard RL!dePeCompact2.x - It's a GUI app, so you won't be able to integrate it into UniExtract.
I also found another unpacker, but it's GUI and crashes on my test PeCompact file, which unpacked successfuly with
RL!dePeCompact2.x

Edited by amritlohia, 06 June 2010 - 05:10 AM.

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
Due to lack of response by nitro322, I integrated my changes into the code, and ...

I present UniExtract 1.6.1.1 UNOFFICIAL BUILD.

DISCLAIMER - This is NOT an OFFICIAL BUILD by nitro. It has only BEEN TESTED on MY SYSTEM, and I have a far from normal setup.

The changelog is as follows:

1.6.1.1 - UNOFFICIAL (06/06/2010)
  Fixed support for Firefox installer - removed one FEAD signature from PEID database
  Removed MSI TC Packer plugin
  Updated 7-zip to version 9.14
  Changed zoo archive extractor - unzoo instead of barebones ooz

Note: although the fead signature removal fixes support greatly, it may break FEAD support. If you find a problem, please report it here.

@radix and frmariam - I tested with my build, and they work now. This is a direct consequence of removing that FEAD signature mentioned above.

@KarlM - This has been fixed in my build (see above for more details)

@jsp - I'm not sure what you mean by this, but please retest with my build and report the results.

The archive is uploaded at http://www.mediafire.com/?ggjtikoqdzx.
Just extract it, and replace the UniExtract.exe in the uniextract directory.

amritlohia / isx99

Edited by amritlohia, 06 June 2010 - 11:47 AM.

Surfer

Surfer

• 17 posts
  • Joined 09-July 06
Two bugs
1) http://downloads.xip...17220-win32.exe
Incorrect extraction, 7-zip can open and extract it correctly.
2) http://rghost.net/1827720
Posted Image
One file extracted twice. Files are identical (MD5 checked).
Is this bug of innounp ?

Thanks. :)

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05

One file extracted twice. Files are identical (MD5 checked).
Is this bug of innounp ?

I see it often, even with 'pure' innounp. I think that's a 'feature' of Inno Setup - files ,1 and ,2 are sometimes different, I think when they're destined for different operating systems - unicode and ANSI versions maybe? They're supposed to be renamed without the comma for the OS you're installing it on. I'm pretty sure I've seen that on installs destined both for Win9X and NT*.*, but it was quite some time ago. But most of the time they're identical.

GL

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
@Surfer - your first file extracts correctly in my unofficial build (see previous post), as a 7-zip package. This as I changed 7-zip so it comes before Installexplorer.
- your second file - confirmed, I have no idea why, though.

@GrofLugi - I think you might be right, but the only way to find out is to contact the developers of the installation maker they used.

Oh, by the way, I made a new build, 1.6.1.2. The only change was moving 7-zip before InstallExplorer. Surfer, please download the it, and retest.
The link is: http://www.mediafire.com/?nmuzgtb32yy. Just extract it, and replace it as UniExtract.exe in the uniextract folder.

Update: I forgot to update 7-zip. Please download 7-zip 9.14 from their website, and replace it in the uniextract bin directory.

Edited by amritlohia, 10 June 2010 - 01:19 AM.

geosoft

geosoft
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 21-February 10
I ran Universal Extractor earlier against an Inno Setup file and it failed to extract. Copying the latest Inno Unpacker to the Bin folder solved the problem so you may want to check for updates of that app.

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10

I ran Universal Extractor earlier against an Inno Setup file and it failed to extract. Copying the latest Inno Unpacker to the Bin folder solved the problem so you may want to check for updates of that app.

Please test with my unofficial build 1.6.1.2 (see previous post). I checked and InnoUnp is still at 0.31, which is the same version included in UniExtract.

geosoft

geosoft
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 21-February 10

Please test with my unofficial build 1.6.1.2 (see previous post). I checked and InnoUnp is still at 0.31, which is the same version included in UniExtract.

That seems to have it. I guess I just fell behind in the updates to Universal Extractor and it's all my fault.

Thanks a million and I hope development on this project doesn't come to a grinding halt again, it's been a very handy tool and gets constant use on my systems.

GrofLuigi

GrofLuigi

GroupPolicy Tattoo Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • Joined 21-April 05
This is unpacked incorrectly (some .jpegs are truncated).

Verified with install VS unpack.

UE 1.6.1 says it's NullSoft Installer installer. :)

It's using Install Explorer. Previously, with whatever unpacked NSIS, it was OK.

GL

Surfer

Surfer

• 17 posts
  • Joined 09-July 06
Incorrect extraction
http://fpdownload.ma...lash_player.exe

Hanschke

Hanschke

Junior

• Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Joined 29-May 04
i cannot extract

http://www.java.net/...17_jun_2010.exe

ale5000

ale5000

Divoratore di anime

• 48 posts
  • Joined 13-December 06
When the extraction is failed, it open the log with notepad that doesn't support the line-ending of the file.

It would be better if it open the log with wordpad.

amritlohia

amritlohia

• 11 posts
  • Joined 17-April 10
Surfer - Unfortunately, install_flash_player.exe cannot be supported. The new Adobe Flash Player installers are made using Adobe AIR.
Currently, there is no known way to extract this format.
Hanschke - When I attempt to download your file, I get a HTTP 404 (File Not Found) error. Can you upload it somewhere else?

(Oh, and sorry for the long absence, just got busy with other things)

rmenessec

rmenessec
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 07-May 10
UniEx can't unpack the current Skype Beta (v5) installer-- unless it's unUPXed first. If I manually unpack it with UPX.EXE (new version, by the way) first, then let UniEx have another go, then tell it it's not dealing with an InstallShield archive, it eventually defaults to 7-Zip (I think) and unpacks what I think is a 7-Zip or LZMA archive with a stub installer.

Consider a UPX check before the other tests?

frmariam

frmariam
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 04-March 07
Still find many msi files that aren't correctly extracted... I tried jsmsi.dll coupled with a vb script in my old pc in the past (my new with Win7 blocks the script) and it seemed to work better than the current methods (I always avoid admin instalation method... and it's useless in public pcs where we have no rights). Could you please test it and see if it's any better?

My old pc died so I can't use it anymore (nor Lessmsierables)... Here are some MSIs not correctly extracted (not counting admin setup) TortoiseSVN and 7zip.

Also NSIS setup failure in the official build still exist (hope you didn't forget... CCleaner is one of the affected programs)... I don't know if it's a x64 issue (running Win7 x64 machine)? The last build of UE 1.6.1 that worked with this sort of setup was beta 1 (which is the one I'm currently using). Would nice to have this fixed even though I've never had any issues with the beta (but I wonder if the final version supports more stuff or has any bugfixes).

PS: Could you host in your website the noinst pack as a ZIP archive rather than RAR? I ofter find the need to use some apps in public pcs where I have no admin privileges and don't have a proper archive program. Since all latest Windows releases have native zip support this would save me the need to download Portable7zip just to extract UE bin archive.

Edited by frmariam, 24 September 2010 - 04:48 PM.

nradonich

nradonich
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 20-March 11
Universal Extractor, latest version 1.6.1 -
Using both the Self-Installer and the .rar file.

System hangs at the 'ExtractMHT.exe' file - it took nearly 5 minutes of just waiting before the setup continued.
Same thing happened with the .rar file, the my system hung for nearly 5 minutes trying to extract that file.

System details:
Lenovo T61 Laptop, Core2Duo 2.0ghz
2gb RAM
160gb HDD
Running Windows XP Professional SP3

MaximilianKohler

MaximilianKohler
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 26-February 11
I'm trying to extract an InstallShield exe instead of installing the program. v1.6.1 with win7 x64 ultimate
I choose Installshield /b switch and it starts out ok, but it seems like Universal Extractor doesn't give the process enough time(for the exe to run and to click through all the options), because at exactly the same time(about 10 seconds maybe) every time it stops and give an error "Initialization failed. Please exit the installer, then click OK to continue.". So I click OK then another popup says:
filexx could not be extracted.
It appears to be an InstallShield installer, which is supported, but extraction failed.
Please see the log file for more information.

Log:
TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - © 2003-06 By M.Pontello
Definitions found: 2641
Analyzing...
Collecting data from file: D:\Programs\uniextract161_noinst\setup\Disk1\setup.exe
39.7% (.EXE) InstallShield setup (43050/17/16)
34.7% (.EXE) Win32 Executable MS Visual C++ (generic) (37706/45/16)
12.0% (.SCR) Windows Screen Saver (13105/51/3)
9.7% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)
1.8% (.EXE) Generic Win/DOS Executable (2002/3)

isxunpack extraction also gives the error:
filexx could not be extracted.
It appears to be an InstallShield installer, which is supported, but extraction failed.
Please see the log file for more information.

Log:
Usage: IsXunpack.exe 3DMark03.exe (for example) and use -i option for info of suppored modif. of IS-EXE
Found Suggested Overlay Start Position at: 6E000h
Not Valid All-in-One Modification of IS File...
Trying to Check For CAB-file Inside...
NOT Valid All-in-Cab modification of IS File...
Press Enter to Exit! Have a Nice Day.

Edited by MaximilianKohler, 27 March 2011 - 08:42 PM.

Gabee

Gabee
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 12-March 10
Hello!
Not unpack UPX compressed exe.
Upx version 3.7 and replace new version upx.exe in bin directory. (and original upx file is not unpack)
Error messenge:
UNRAR 4.01 freeware Copyright © 1993-2011 Alexander Roshal

C:\Ihu.exe is not RAR archive
No files to extract
PeId:
Entrypoint:00C647F0 EP
Section:UPX1
File Offset:00215BF0
First Bytes:60,BE,00,F0
Linker Info:5.0
UPX 0.89.6 - 1.02 / 1.05 - 2.90 -> Markus & Laszlo
Sorry my bad english.
Thanks Gabee

irmuk

irmuk
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 28-December 11
Hi,
This is on a different problem to the files extraction problems above, and as this is my first post, I apologise if it is in the wrong place.

Basically, at various times, I and many others have had problems with Manually getting Google Chrome to Update. Now, please bare with me here, I know it doesn't sound like it's got anything to do with Universal Extractor, but, it seems, it does.

Rather than completely re-typing the info of the problem that we have been experiencing directly on here, please visit the following webpage and read the comments, especially from no.208 onwards (near the bottom of the page, at the present time) :-

http://code.google.c...&sort=&id=81266

The comment 208 pointed me in the direction of a possible cause for some peoples problems, including myself, and when it worked I then posted comment no. 214, which is where your program comes in.

I'd be interested as to your comments on it and, obviously, if you can do something to create the 'Documents' file somewhere else other than C:\ OR not to create it in the first place as your software program usually creates a file called 'and', in the directory in to which you've extracted the files, which contains the same information.

If you could do this, I believe that it would help out many other people who use both your program AND Google Chrome. Alternatively, you may be of the view that the Google Chrome developers should fix it from their end, but, although I am not a programmer or an experienced Debugger either, I feel that as your program creates the offending file in the first place, that you should see if it's possible to change your code so as to create it in it's own installation folder, for example., and NOT C:\.

Many Thanks

alan1234

alan1234
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 22-April 12
Please advise/help

From http://www.legroom.net/
I downloaded to E:\Portable\PaleMoon\Downloads\exe
uniextract161_noinst.rar and
changedefaultbrowser_setup.exe

uniextract161_noinst.rar created
E:\Portable\PaleMoon\Downloads\exe\uniextract161_noinst with several files and subfolders

I ran E:\Portable\PaleMoon\Downloads\exe\uniextract161_noinst\UniExtract.exe
I selected for extraction
E:\Portable\PaleMoon\Downloads\exe\changedefaultbrowser_setup.exe
I got this error message

Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (5.3.10)
This is not directly supported, but i'll try to unpack it as version 5309
; Version detected: 5310
Critical error: The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.
Unpacking failed. This version is not supported.

Should I expect anything better if I use UniExtract Installer (5.3 MB) instead of UniExtract Binary Archive (4.95 MB) ?

Should I look for an earlier version of changedefaultbrowser_setup.exe
which uses Inno Setup version 5309 but also works with 64 bit Windows 7 ?

Is there anything else you can suggest that would allow me to set Palemoon as my "Default Browser" without installing changedefaultbrowser ?

N.B. I will actually install changedefaultbrowser if that is what it takes - anything to avoid browser caches on my system partition.

Regards
Alan

Galarn

Galarn
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 25-April 12
I Get a error...
It appears to be a(n) Inno Setup installer, which is supported, but extraction failed.

Text file...
Signature detected: Inno Setup Setup Data (5.4.2) (u) This is not directly supported, but i'll try to unpack it as version 5309 ; Version detected: 5402 (Unicode) Critical error: The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program.
Unpacking failed. This version is not supported.

Can you please fix it when you get a chance.

Cheers, Galarn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN