Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Universal Extractor Feature Requests

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
Please post any feature requests in this thread. Feature requests can include support for new formats, suggestions on ways to improve UniExtract functionality or the user interface, etc.

Before submitting a feature request, please first search through this subforum, as well as reviewing the UniExtract ChangeLog and ToDo files to see if the feature has already been discussed. There are a number of features that have been brought up in the past, but for various reasons cannot be supported; repeatedly bringing up these same topics without offering any new information or suggestions only wastes time. Please especially check the Features that Cannot Be Supported thread and do not post any requests from that list.

Any general questions, support requests, or other UniExtract discussion should be posted to other topics in this forum.

Edited by nitro322, 11 May 2010 - 01:55 AM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
nitro322, in post #9 from thread http://www.msfn.org/...ct-t121770.html , you recommended I post a feature request to remind you to investigate a workaround to extract encrypted Inno Setup installers.

I believe you had referred to the following thread as having a workaround method:

http://forum.exetool...read.php?t=9137

mushu13

mushu13

• 41 posts
In posts 3-5 of this thread we discussed the addition of an option to completely disable the debug file. Mainly to prevent unneeded reads/writes to solid state devices in the NoInst version.

Edited by mushu13, 12 October 2008 - 06:13 PM.

They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!
~Otto

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts
The latest 7-zip beta added support for XAR archives and UDF and DMG/HFS images. This sounds like something worth supporting in the next version of UniExtract. :-)

Edit: The latest 7-zip beta also directly supports LZMA files. Have UniExtract use 7-zip to decompress these files rather than the separate lzma.exe binary currently used.

Edited by nitro322, 14 October 2008 - 01:06 AM.

StrifeLeonhart

StrifeLeonhart
  • 3 posts
Hi nitro322

Is it possible to add Setup Factory from Indigo Rose Software?

I would like to be able to extract this file http://www.paltalk.c...tall_r83185.exe

thank you very much.

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts

Is it possible to add Setup Factory from Indigo Rose Software?

No, unfortunately. This has come up several times before. UniExtract has limited support for Setup Factory 6.0 installers, but I can't find any utilities capable of extracting files from later versions.

foszhila45

foszhila45
  • 1 posts
I think there is one important feature UniExtract is missing.

Multiple. File. Support.

and maybe a graphical process bar.

love your app! :thumbup

Edited by foszhila45, 23 October 2008 - 12:01 PM.

mushu13

mushu13

• 41 posts

Multiple. File. Support.

and maybe a graphical process bar.

Multiple File Support is the major change coming in 1.7, last I knew, and will require major restructuring of the code. However, I'm confident nitro will figure it out, he always does.

Visible progress bars would be nice, but I think it would be difficult because many of the extraction programs used do not supply much progress information. It could be added to those that do supply progress.
A compromise could be to have the output from the command windows piped directly into a single UniExtract dialog, thus simplifying it to only one visible window with all the relevant extraction information. (I believe this was mentioned somewhere in the UE 1.5 thread.)
They call them fingers, but I've never seen them fing, or ger. WOAH there they go!!!!!!!
~Otto

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts

Multiple File Support is the major change coming in 1.7, last I knew, and will require major restructuring of the code. However, I'm confident nitro will figure it out, he always does.

Visible progress bars would be nice, but I think it would be difficult because many of the extraction programs used do not supply much progress information. It could be added to those that do supply progress.
A compromise could be to have the output from the command windows piped directly into a single UniExtract dialog, thus simplifying it to only one visible window with all the relevant extraction information. (I believe this was mentioned somewhere in the UE 1.5 thread.)

Wow. You've really been paying attention, haven't you? :-)

foszhila45, mushu13 is correct on both counts. Proper multiple file support has been requested before, and it's something I'd like to add, but it'll require some fairly significant changes. It's on my radar for 1.7. In the meantime, if you're using the installer version with context-menu support, you actually can extract multiple files at once by highlighting more than one, right-clicking, and select Extract to Subdir (or Extract Here). Windows Explorer will spawn multiple independent UniExtract process at this point, and extract all files concurrently. Of course, this approach can have problems, so it's not exactly recommended, but it should generally work fine as long as you don't throw a crazy amount of files at it.

Integrating helper utility output into the main UniExtract window, rather than spawning a separate cmd.exe window, is something that's been on my todo list for a while. However, it'll require much more significant changes than the multiple file support mentioned above, and there are various other challenges to take into account, such as providing input (for passwords, for overwrite confirmations, etc.) as well as output. This is such a major, fundamental change in functionality that it'd come essentially as a 2.0 release. Of course, there's no telling when (or if) that'll happen, but I'm certainly keeping it in mind.

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Can you add support for NBH files? I know it's an extremely niche request, but there's already a command-line extractor for them, and integrating it into Universal Extractor would be awesome.

If you want some sample NBH files, you can find them in this package: http://member.americ....21.18_Ship.exe
(I'm linking you to a trusted source -- HTC.com -- so that you don't have to be wary about downloading this).

Download that package and extract it with 7zip (in UniExtract, select "Not an InstallShield Installer"). You will see two NBH files in it.

You can find the command-line NBHExtractor here: http://xpdnc.org/dum.../NBHextract.exe

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts

Can you add support for NBH files? I know it's an extremely niche request, but there's already a command-line extractor for them, and integrating it into Universal Extractor would be awesome.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, sample, AND extraction utility. :-)

voorhees

voorhees
  • 4 posts
hi
please add support for PEiD 0.95 Build Date: Nov 03 2008; Signatures: 672)
if i put in bin directory UniExt will not work
http://peid.has.it/

also inno unpacker have some new version but not on sourceforge, that version will suport Inno Setup 5.2.3
some info and file:
http://bbs.skygz.com...=3&extra=page=1
http://it.megocollector.com/?p=686
http://rapidshare.co...2008-12-06_.rar

Edited by voorhees, 12 December 2008 - 08:23 AM.

macrat

macrat
  • 3 posts
Becky! .b64 file extraction.

Becky! email program has this odd method for creating .b64 attachment files. All the files follow this particular convention:

Encoded file is named by adding .b64 to the resultant file name. i.e. Happy_Hallween_Pumkins_&_Butterflys_by_Pac_Creations.gif

Encoded file contains NO headers, only the encoded data.

Universal Extractor works to decode the file, but it creates a folder containing UNKNOWN.001, which I have to manually move and rename the file.

Therefore, Universal Extractor should have a script to check the filename. If the result filename is UNKNOWN.001, and a file extension is detected before the .b64 extension (detects a secondary dot) then it moves out and renames the file to the correct filename.

Attached is the file so you can test it out. It's a nice GIF animation from the Yahoo group "CreativeIncredimailLetters" which has a lot of custom GIF animations for decorating emails with.

Attachment failed. *sigh*

sswv

sswv
  • 1 posts
Can you add support for "winmail.dat" files?

It is a kind of Microsoft Outlook email format. If an Outlook user sent this kind of email, the reader without Outlook would get an attachment named "winmail.dat" other than the true attachments.

There are some extractors for "winmail.dat", such as WMDecode: http://www.biblet.freeserve.co.uk/

Thanks.

nitro322

nitro322

Advanced Member

• Developer
  • 387 posts

please add support for PEiD 0.95 Build Date: Nov 03 2008; Signatures: 672)

As part of each update, I always check all of the support utilities to make sure I'm using the latest version. I'll certainly do the same for PEiD and innounp. Not sure about what the deal is with the compatibility issues you reported with PEiD, but I'll check it out.

Becky! email program has this odd method for creating .b64 attachment files. All the files follow this particular convention:

Encoded file is named by adding .b64 to the resultant file name. i.e. Happy_Hallween_Pumkins_&_Butterflys_by_Pac_Creations.gif

Encoded file contains NO headers, only the encoded data.

Universal Extractor works to decode the file, but it creates a folder containing UNKNOWN.001, which I have to manually move and rename the file.

Therefore, Universal Extractor should have a script to check the filename. If the result filename is UNKNOWN.001, and a file extension is detected before the .b64 extension (detects a secondary dot) then it moves out and renames the file to the correct filename.

I'm not sure I like the idea of adding a lot of extra work to check for specific output filenames, etc., but I'm curious as to why this is happening to begin with. Maybe there's a better way of extracting these files to begin with. Can you point to any examples?

Can you add support for "winmail.dat" files?

Aren't these just multi-part MIME files? They should be similar to MHT files, which are (mostly) supported. Have you tried extracting one? What happens?

LordQuackstar

LordQuackstar
  • 1 posts
File Browser.

Their are times when i only want to extract certain files, or want to preview the archive before extracting. This feature would make it a complete replacement for the WinRAR program that i have.

Also, I know its called Universal Extractor, but what about Universal Creator, or at least creating the major formats out there? It would be nice to have only 1 or 2 programs to do almost any type of archive.

Dumpy Dooby

Dumpy Dooby

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I got another request, though I'm not sure about its feasibility.

The 7zip SFX module that is used around these parts is actually a modified SFX module (as I'm sure everyone knows), but what a lot of people miss are its command line parameters. Specifically, one such parameter is -sfxconfig, which outputs the SFX config.txt file. The problem, though, is that if this switch is used on a 7zip SFX archive that did not use this modified module, then the SFX will run normally. Can UniExtract create a controlled environment to automatically close down the extraction process if this happens?

To be more specific, I would like the following feature to be added: When a 7zip SFX archive is extracted, I would like for the SFX config.txt file to spat out as, much in the same way that NSIS config files are spat out when you extract one such package.

http://7zsfx.solta.r....html#sfxconfig

IceBlackIce> ill just take you are not a experienced person with coding [source]
^lol

NULUSIOS

NULUSIOS
  • 1 posts
I see the program doesn't handle Windows Mobile CABs yet.

The program that reads WM .cab files is MSCEInf or WinCE Cab Analyzer by Benoit Thonnart.

Would love to see uniextractor handle such files.

red death68

red death68

• 14 posts
is there any way to make a program that uses overlays like c++ overlay or somthing like that be supported on the uniextractor if so how long do u think this kind of change would take to become incorperated in an official version?

gdv

gdv
  • 1 posts
First of all, thank you for this terrific utility. I'm not a developer or programmer, but I use it occasionally to check what version is packed in a saved download or look for documentation, etc., and I really appreciate it!!!

I would appreciate an option to keep Universal Extractor open when it completes its task. Often when I use it, I want to check several files, and it would be nice if it just stayed open to be re-used.

I didn't know (until yesterday when I was browsing the forum) that you had included context menu commands with the installer version, and I had simply installed it as a standalone. I've now run the installer and the context menus certainly make it simpler to access, and reduce the need for the option to have it stay open.

But if it isn't too difficult, I would still appreciate that option.

Thanks! :)

voorhees

voorhees
  • 4 posts
support for Secure Download Cabinet (SDC) files will be great

info:
http://en.wikipedia....ownload_Cabinet

unpacker
http://imagi.pl/?p=7

red death68

red death68

• 14 posts
is it possible that u can pack all the possible utilitys into one arcive in the next edition so we dont have to download so many archives and extract...ect, ect

this would be most apretiated considering i once spent an entire day trying to find all the utilitys

Ascii2

Ascii2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
Please add support for the Microsoft packages such as the one available:

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

Edited by Ascii2, 11 February 2009 - 12:14 AM.

Apollo232

Apollo232

• 12 posts
Maybe a preview fonctionality ? -_-

Thx

Byz

Edited by Apollo232, 13 March 2009 - 06:42 AM.

red death68

red death68

• 14 posts
this isnt so much a request as it is an idea i have yet to find a use for this off hand but i found a free utility for extracting SWF files

here's link:http://www.freewarefiles.com/SWF-Compressor-Decompressor_program_20081.html

ps:idk if this is already incoperated but i didnt see this format on uniextractors homepage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN