Universal Extractor Feature Requests

nitro322

can you add an icon in context menu items?

like winrar:

rarcontextmenu.png

They register DLL files as Shell Extensions in order to do that. Universal Extractor simply uses the registry to add its context menu options.

Yes I know, but would be very hard to create a dll shell extension?

Can we have cascaded context menus?

yes, this too, I wish an "iconified and cascading context menu shell extension" ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Extract cab sfx from Microsoft, using internal switches:

Usage:
/extract:path, extracts the content of the package to the path folder
/log[:path to log file], enables verbose logging for the update installation
/lang:lcid, sets the user interface to the specified locale when multiple locales are available within the package
/quiet, runs the package in silent mode
/passive, runs the update without any interaction from the user
/norestart, prevents prompting of user when reboot of machine is needed
/forcerestart, forced restart of machine once update is complete
/?, shows this help message

and not 7-Zip. Tested with Office 2010 Pro Plus Beta availlable for download from Microsoft site and with some Office 2007 updates.

Other cab sfx types can be extracted with 7-Zip or using internal switches:

Command line options:

/Q -- Quiet modes for package,

/T:<full path> -- Specifies temporary working folder,

/C -- Extract files only to the folder when used also with /T.

/C:<Cmd> -- Override Install Command defined by author.

Edited by radix

Hello :hello:

thankyou very much for the great Universal Extractor tool.I need to manualy patch my game but i can't extract the Call of Juarez 2 - Bound in Blood 1.1 patch with the offered program methods :unsure: Can you add support for this archive with the next UniExtract release,pls?

http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/47318

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - © 2003-06 By M.Pontello

Definitions found: 2639

Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: C:\call_of_juarez_bound_in_blood_1.1_en_fr_sp_it_de_pl.exe

74.7% (.EXE) InstallShield setup (43050/17/16)

18.2% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)

3.4% (.EXE) Generic Win/DOS Executable (2002/3)

3.4% (.EXE) DOS Executable Generic (2000/1)

0.0% (.CEL) Autodesk FLIC Image File (extensions: flc, fli, cel) (7/3)

greets

BR

Edited by MarinoIZK

• 2 weeks later...

A useful feature would be an option to delete the archive upon successful extraction. Also, maybe have a checkbox to prompt for a log location so you can keep an individual record of what has been done (very useful for batch processes once multiple file support comes).

• 2 weeks later...

Please do iconified and cascaded context menus even if it requires a context menu shell extension. Why do you refuse to use the registry to add your context menu options? With more and more apps today having shell integration, three context menu items on the main context menu makes it very very long. Please add cascaded context menus in the next release.

Edit: Good news! Windows 7 supports cascaded context menus with subcommands and also supports icons in context menus all using the registry. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144171(VS.85).aspx.

Edited by xpclient

• 1 month later...

I've noticed in the past that many exe files (especially from Microsoft... like the Device Center or the VBRuntimes setups) can't be extracted correctly with Universal Extractor but WinRAR can extract them! I'd love to see this fixed in Universal Extractor.

Also about MSI unpacking I think I found the perfect extraction component (well at least in XP... doesn't work completelly in Vista/7 but the devs give some instructions on how to fix this). I'm talking about LinMSI (just drag-n-drop the msi on the vb script) from JSWare (they give info on that page).

• 1 month later...

I'm tired of not seeing anything done with this request of mine.

I have packed a small example here. It is the largest file that is in an archive too big to post.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PSTREOLL

Target file: Dancing_Dog_.wmv

(video of a dog dancing to salsa music)

Yes it is a Megaupload link. If the URL above does not work or is censored for any reason, the file code is: PSTREOLL

To manually decode the files:

Select a file.

Right click for the popup menu. Choose "Send To..."

Select Universal Extractor.

In the dialogue, select "OK"

The file will be scanned for its format. It will be detected as a BinHex file. After the process is completed a folder will be created with the correct file name. Select and copy the folder's filename. Open the folder.

Select the entire filename of the folder which would be UNKNOWN.001 (you must have file extension visibility turned on for this) and then paste the correct filename & extension in its place. Voila! You now have a playable/viewable file!

I want Universal Extractor to have an apartment for extracting files from email files and email file enclosures such as Becky!'s

Hello :hello:

thankyou very much for the great Universal Extractor tool.I need to manualy patch my game but i can't extract the Call of Juarez 2 - Bound in Blood 1.1 patch with the offered program methods :unsure: Can you add support for this archive with the next UniExtract release,pls?

http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/47318

TrID/32 - File Identifier v2.02 - © 2003-06 By M.Pontello

Definitions found: 2639

Analyzing...

Collecting data from file: C:\call_of_juarez_bound_in_blood_1.1_en_fr_sp_it_de_pl.exe

74.7% (.EXE) InstallShield setup (43050/17/16)

18.2% (.EXE) Win32 Executable Generic (10527/13/4)

3.4% (.EXE) Generic Win/DOS Executable (2002/3)

3.4% (.EXE) DOS Executable Generic (2000/1)

0.0% (.CEL) Autodesk FLIC Image File (extensions: flc, fli, cel) (7/3)

greets

BR

You need to run the patch file directly, the Installshield system is a protection that installs the package into a secure RAM disk, which contains a dialogue system, the game's script locking utility, and a few "search and replace" tools to change the game's character systems for fair gameplay. The whole shebang is all done in RAM, to prevent armchair hackers from discovering ways to put back the hi-kill settings the patch takes down. You won't be able to unpack it with UniExtract as the patch's version of Installshield prevents access to the encrypted data inside.

Edited by macrat

• 1 month later...

Needs better MSI support. The current MSI unpacking process isn't that great...

The best MSI unpacker I know is LessMSIerables which is open source but .NET... If someone could learn from the source and implement this (or port it to C/C++ and integrate it with Universal Extractor) it would be perfect... I'm not a coder so I can't be of any more help...

No. Not LessMSIerables... But MsiX.exe would be a great addition. It is able to extract files from .msi, .msm and .msp installation files, and it is a command-line console program, so I guess it'll be easy to integrate. Do give it a try!

Find it here: Heath Stewart's Patch Files Extractor

• 2 weeks later...
please add support for PEiD 0.95 Build Date: Nov 03 2008; Signatures: 672)

also inno unpacker have some new version but not on sourceforge, that version will suport Inno Setup 5.2.3

done in 1.6.1

File Browser.

Their are times when i only want to extract certain files, or want to preview the archive before extracting. This feature would make it a complete replacement for the WinRAR program that i have.

I'm up for this, though it'll more likely than not consist of just a text listing (as in, you can select individual files for extracting, etc.). I can explore this idea in the next major version.

Also, I know its called Universal Extractor, but what about Universal Creator, or at least creating the major formats out there? It would be nice to have only 1 or 2 programs to do almost any type of archive.

This already exists. It's called 7-Zip. :-) Seriously, this is way beyond the scope of my project, and 7-Zip already does a fantastic job of supporting the most common open formats. The only major formats that it doesn't support are proprietary formats such as RAR, etc., and I wouldn't be able to support that either even if I were to try to create a Universal Compressor or whatever. Not enough gain, and far, far too much work for this one.

Can you add support for NBH files? I know it's an extremely niche request, but there's already a command-line extractor for them, and integrating it into Universal Extractor would be awesome.

I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestion, sample, AND extraction utility. :-)

Added in 1.6.1.

Edited by nitro322