Universal Extractor Feature Requests

nitro322

To be more specific, I would like the following feature to be added: When a 7zip SFX archive is extracted, I would like for the SFX config.txt file to spat out as, much in the same way that NSIS config files are spat out when you extract one such package.

http://7zsfx.solta.ru/en/switches.html#sfxconfig

Sounds reasonable. Will check it out for the next major update.

I see the program doesn't handle Windows Mobile CABs yet.

The program that reads WM .cab files is MSCEInf or WinCE Cab Analyzer by Benoit Thonnart.

I'm fine with this. Just need some sample files. Can anyone provide some links?

is there any way to make a program that uses overlays like c++ overlay or somthing like that be supported on the uniextractor if so how long do u think this kind of change would take to become incorperated in an official version?

I'm afraid I don't understand what you're asking for here. Can you please clarify?

I would appreciate an option to keep Universal Extractor open when it completes its task. Often when I use it, I want to check several files, and it would be nice if it just stayed open to be re-used.

That should be doable. Will explore options for the next major release.

support for Secure Download Cabinet (SDC) files will be great

info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Download_Cabinet

unpacker: http://imagi.pl/?p=7

I'm fine with this, but need sample files.

is it possible that u can pack all the possible utilitys into one arcive in the next edition so we dont have to download so many archives and extract...ect, ect

I don't know what you're requesting here. If you're referring to the helper binaries, they are all included, both with the installer and noinst versions. If you're referring to something else, please clarify.

Please add support for the Microsoft packages such as the one available:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Fixed in 1.6.1. Support for this was already included, but I needed to update the PEiD signature to properly detect this file.

this isnt so much a request as it is an idea i have yet to find a use for this off hand but i found a free utility for extracting SWF files

Will look into it for next major version.

hi, if you support the following you will be awesome

thinstall

upolyx <<extremely high wanted

pecompact << high wanted

I've looked into all of these before, but was not able to find any freely-redistributable unpackers for them. If you know of any, please suggest here, otherwise this will need to stay on the unsupported list.

autoit

Not sure what you're looking for here. Can you elaborate?

can you add an icon in context menu items?
Can we have cascaded context menus?

Would love to add support for both of these, but as Dumpy Dooby pointed out, it requires an external DLL to implement, and yes, it's more difficult than you might imagine. The main problem, though, is that I cannot (or could not - it's been a while since I looked into this) find any free way to do this. All of the examples I found required the commercial version of Visual Studio to create an appropriate DLL; even the free/express versions wouldn't work because MFC is required. I'm not interesting in buying Visual Studio for this, and even more importantly I'm not interested in writing/providing code that requires a non-free product to compile.

If anyone can provide examples of how to do this with a free solution, I'll try my best to add support for it, but otherwise this won't happen.

Another feature request would be changing PEiD with Exeinfo PE, which is more accurate.

Will check it out for the next major release, but unless there are very clear and significant advantages I'll probably stick with PEiD. I've added quite a number of custom signatures to PEiD for recognizing new file types, and it'd be difficult to reliably recreate them for another utility, not to mention update all of the UniExtract bits that look for specific PEiD output.

And another one: support for extracting zip sfx archive (only WinZip can extract this type).

I can use WinZip because it can't be freely redistributed. If you can provide some example files, though, I'll look for an alternative way to support the files.

Extract cab sfx from Microsoft, using internal switches:

This is already supported, but requires accurate PEiD detection. If you can provide examples that fail I should be able to update the PEiD custom signature for better detection.

Other cab sfx types can be extracted with 7-Zip or using internal switches:

This is also supported, but again, it requires accurate filetype detection, this time using TrID rather than PEiD. Ditto on the examples part.

thankyou very much for the great Universal Extractor tool.I need to manualy patch my game but i can't extract the Call of Juarez 2 - Bound in Blood 1.1 patch with the offered program methods :unsure: Can you add support for this archive with the next UniExtract release,pls?

This will kind of work in 1.6.1. 7-Zip added support for generic .exe resource unpacking, which works here. Unfortunately, the output is kind of ugly at this time. I can maybe clean it up a bit with UniExtract, but that won't be done for 1.6.1. In order to extract this file with 1.6.1, select the 'not installshield' option and 7-zip should unpack a few poorly named (and hidden) files. Fine the file named [0], rename it to 0.exe, then run that through UniExtract. This should be seen and extracted as an InstallShield2 installer.

A useful feature would be an option to delete the archive upon successful extraction. Also, maybe have a checkbox to prompt for a log location so you can keep an individual record of what has been done (very useful for batch processes once multiple file support comes).

I can see some limited usefulness for this, but honestly not much. I don't want to risk accidentally deleting files that are still needed or wanted, and it usually isn't too tough to hit the delete key after extraction is complete. For the batch processing part, again, it shouldn't be too difficult to add a follow up line to delete the source files after UniExtract is done (after, of course, verifying that the files were properly extracted).

I'm not ruling this out, though. Will give it some thought. If anyone else has feedback on this, please let me know.

Please do iconified and cascaded context menus even if it requires a context menu shell extension. Why do you refuse to use the registry to add your context menu options? With more and more apps today having shell integration, three context menu items on the main context menu makes it very very long. Please add cascaded context menus in the next release.

I'm not "refusing" anything. I've thoroughly explained, on multiple occasions, why this currently can't and won't be done. Please search the forum for additional information.

Edit: Good news! Windows 7 supports cascaded context menus with subcommands and also supports icons in context menus all using the registry. See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc144171(VS.85).aspx.

This is good news. I'll look into it for the next major release.

I've noticed in the past that many exe files (especially from Microsoft... like the Device Center or the VBRuntimes setups) can't be extracted correctly with Universal Extractor but WinRAR can extract them!

This is most likely another detection issue - if you can provide examples, I'll see what I can do.

Also about MSI unpacking I think I found the perfect extraction component (well at least in XP... doesn't work completelly in Vista/7 but the devs give some instructions on how to fix this). I'm talking about LinMSI (just drag-n-drop the msi on the vb script) from JSWare (they give info on that page).

Please check out the new MsiX support in 1.6.1 and let me know if that works for you. MsiX makes four methods for MSI extraction and three for MSP extraction... I really don't want to add more if possible, but then again I'm always open to better solutions. Please compare and let me know how it works.

I'm tired of not seeing anything done with this request of mine.

Dude, don't take it personally. I haven't been doing any UniExtract development at all for a while, so it's not like I'm singling you out.

Select the entire filename of the folder which would be UNKNOWN.001 (you must have file extension visibility turned on for this) and then paste the correct filename & extension in its place. Voila! You now have a playable/viewable file!

This is how uudeview chooses to output the decoded file:

> uudeview -p . -i Dancing_Dog_.wmv.b64
Loaded from Dancing_Dog_.wmv.b64: '' (UNKNOWN.001): part -1 Base64

Found 'UNKNOWN.001' State 16 Base64 Parts 1 OK

File successfully written to ./UNKNOWN.001
1 file decoded from 1 input file, 0 failed

I don't know where it gets the name from, but I'm assuming it's choosing that because whatever encoded the file did not specify a filename in the encoding.

If I could assume that only one file would ever be decoded by uudeview, then I'm sure I could have UniExtract rename the file back to the original filename after decoding was complete. However, I can't make that assumption. uudeview is used for a number of encoding formats, some of which can include multiple files. I can't just arbitrarily rename some files and not others. I could maybe have it check to see if only one file was output and that filename was unknown.001 and then rename it, but I'm not sure how beneficial that would be.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Can you add support for some of the newest Microsoft packages?

I've mentioned this a few other times already, but it's worth repeating - support for this already exists, but it's dependent on accurate detection by PEiD. In order to add support for newer files I need to refine the PEiD signature, and in order to do that I need files to test myself. If you can provide download links to the installers you're having trouble with, I'll check them out and see if I can generate better PEiD signatures.

But MsiX.exe would be a great addition. It is able to extract files from .msi, .msm and .msp installation files

Added in 1.6.1 for MSI and MSP. MSM untested because I don't have sample files.

Edit: MSM support added as well

Edited by nitro322

Can you add support for some of the newest Microsoft packages?

I've mentioned this a few other times already, but it's worth repeating - support for this already exists, but it's dependent on accurate detection by PEiD. In order to add support for newer files I need to refine the PEiD signature, and in order to do that I need files to test myself. If you can provide download links to the installers you're having trouble with, I'll check them out and see if I can generate better PEiD signatures.

I thought I had added it to my original message. I can't add the link, because I had to log in to get to it. It was simply by going to the Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/office and followed the link for the Office trial.

I thought I had added it to my original message. I can't add the link, because I had to log in to get to it. It was simply by going to the Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/office and followed the link for the Office trial.

You did mention the Office 2007 trial, but I was looking for a direct link. I don't mean to sound rude, but with all the requests I get here, on my forum, and even through e-mail for troubleshooting specific files, I simply can't spend time hunting download links, signing up for trial offers, etc. If you run into any other similar files that I can easily download, please let me know, but I'm going to have to pass on this one.

And another one: support for extracting zip sfx archive (only WinZip can extract this type).

I can use WinZip because it can't be freely redistributed. If you can provide some example files, though, I'll look for an alternative way to support the files.

WinZIP sfx example: http://download.winz...om/wzipse40.exe

Tried already with winrar, 7-zip and Universal Extractor 1.6.1.

Thanks for the update.:thumbup

Edit: 7-Zip 9.13 beta works with winzip sfx archives.

Edited by radix

Extract cab sfx from Microsoft, using internal switches:

This is already supported, but requires accurate PEiD detection. If you can provide examples that fail I should be able to update the PEiD custom signature for better detection.

Now they works.

Edited by radix

WinZIP sfx example: http://download.winz...om/wzipse40.exe

Tried already with winrar, 7-zip and Universal Extractor 1.6.1.

This is two bugs in one:

1. It [em]should[/em] work in 1.6.1. To be honest, I'm not sure why it's failing. It should attempt to extract with unzip first (which it's doing), then, if it fails, attempt to extract with 7-zip (which it's not). I don't know why that's failing at the moment; the condition logic looks correct.

2. I (thought I) modified that same condition logic to try 7-zip if unzip's exit code was anything other than a 0 or 1. I even added this change to the changelog. However, I must have inadvertently undid that change at some point and didn't catch it, as the release version is only looking for an exit code of 0. Don't know what happened there, but I'll need to fix it. This is a more general problem, though - unzip reports and exit code of 9 for the winzip file you posted, which should trigger 7-zip regardless.

Thanks for the report. Adding these issues to my todo file.