Offline Vista update

oviradoi

Hello. I have recently moved to another city to study, and have taken my PC with me. I am staying in a dorm room, and have Internet provided by our university. And it sucks.

I have Windows Vista installed, and i need to reformat my PC. But after i will format it, i think I will have a hard time downloading updates for Windows because of the crappy Internet connection. And I wouldn't risk even connecting my PC to the network before I update it and install an antivirus because there are so many people on the network that are infected.

I was thinking of downloading the Updates for Vista at home and using an offline update tool, and I came across three of them:

c't update generator link

AutoPatcher link

and Windows Updates Downloader link

Using c't update generator, i downloaded all updates for Vista except SP1, and it downloaded it pretty quickly, creating around 70 MB worth of updates. The program is pretty much a collection of batch files that do everything, plus a GUI written in AutoIT. The program that is suppose to install the updates is also a batch file, so I don't know about it.

AutoPatcher is a VB program, and it is still downloading now. The thing is, it says it needs to download 220.11 MB. That's a whole lot more than c't. Also, c't's updates are a bunch of CAB files, while AutoPatcher's updates are a bunch of EXEs and MSUs. Also, AutoPatcher has a nice GUI that detects what updates you really need and only installs them.

Windows Updates Downloader - I have installed .NET and now it works. It downloaded about 60 MB worth of updates, and all of them are .MSUs and only one .EXE. And this program only downloads them, it does not provide a GUI for you to install them on the PC you want to update. You have to manually double-click each file and install it.

So here is the question. What is the difference between these three programs?

C't seems to have a smaller download size for the updates. But does it really download all of them? And also, can its batch files detect what updates you really need, and only installs them?

Shouldn't AutoPatcher download the same files as c't? Why does the size of the updates differ so much?

And I've seen that C't and WUD downloads about the same amount of files. Then why does AutoPatcher download so much? (60 MB vs 220 MB).

And why do these all differ from Windows' integrated updater? That one detects, downloads and installs only what you need. From what I've read, all these programs also download useless updates that you may or may not need, and then detects at runtime whether you need them or not, and installs them only if you need them (Autopatcher and WUD - yes; c't - i don't know). I think that is just a waste of bandwidth and space.

And please let me know if you know any other offline update solution for Windows Vista.

EDIT: I have tried WUD too. Everything I have added is in blue

Edited by oviradoi