* 2008/12/06: Updated item 7 (new timezone update)
* 2008/11/30: Added link to tommyp's patch list. Sorted out all items now fully covered by that list. Updated/corrected some of the remaining topics.
* Still to do somewhen in the future: inclusion of new topics that arised meanwhile (see according threads).
* 2009/09/28: Greyed out all remaining items (no text changes) as they are outdated now. Prevents that someone mistakenly uses this information.
This thread is intended to provide a list of things to consider when using hfslip 1.7.8 or hfslip 2.0 in their current state. As hfslip is currently not maintained by Tomcat76 and we're all eagerly waiting for his triumphant return, some deltas have shown up compared to the descriptions in the respective hfslip posts or the hfslip.org website. I thought it would be useful to give some assistance and guidance to those lost in the amount of changes. Where applicable I'm just linking to the original threads with all the details and download locations.
Please post any additional issues here that I may have forgotten or overseen, or possible improvements mentioned in the other threads but not yet integrated into hfslip. This way we have a compact collection of issues that TC76 can tackle after his re-appearance, just to make things easier for him
Update November 2008: there's now a great post of tommyp which not only collects all the hotfixes and updates that were previously in my list below, but also all other important links of TC76's original list. Therefore I removed everything from my list what is now covered by the XP updates version of tommyp's list.
1) Improvement idea: remove need for workstations service to figure out the OS version
The idea itself is debatable as the discussion in the thread shows, so maybe it doesn't make sense to realize that "improvement" at all. We can leave the final conclusion to TC76.
2) Driver merging broken for options "A" to "C", at least in hfslip 1.7.8 (not sure about hfslip 2.0, can someone test this?).
3) Windows Update Agent 3.0. Item obsolete now, link to most recent version to be found in the update list.
4) CABs for Microsoft Update. Item obsolete now, links to most recent versions to be found in the update list.
5) Root certificates update. Item obsolete now, link to most recent version to be found in the update list.
6) New Windows Genuine Advantage Notification, now version 188.8.131.52.
7) Time zone updates are no longer valid. The appropriate packages (a .cab and .cmd file, for both hfslip 1.7.8 and hfslip 2.0) are outdated since the most recent December 2008 time zone update from Microsoft. Remove the packages from HFTOOLS and instead include the time zone update KB955839 into directory HFSVCPACK_SW1.
Please note that this is still valid as long as there are no updated HFTOOLS packages. The update list contains still links to the outdated Juni 2008 versions of TC76!
8) Hardcoded ActiveX killbits, update KB956391. Part of the update list now, but please consider the following instructions:
Include the update into directory HF and set "NoKillBits=YES" in HFANSWER.INI (see http://hfslip.org/changelog.html for version 1.7.8 or first post of http://www.msfn.org/...ks-t116421.html, changes of 80612a, for version 2.0).
There is a problem with this update which results in it not being recognized as installed after the Windows setup is finished (see threads here and here). The solution is to put a special .reg file into HFSVCPACK.
If you're still using IE6 with SP3 please note that the security update KB956390 (MS08-058) also sets killbits for some COM objects and ActiveX controls, according to http://patch-info.de.../2008/10/14/564
9) Flash package. Item obsolete now, link to most recent version to be found in the update list.
10) Windows Search 4.0 does not work when integrated via the HF folder and the corresponding HFTOOLS plugin (hfslip 2.0 only). Until this is fixed the plugin should be removed from HFTOOLS, and the Windows Search file itself should be moved from HF folder to HFSVCPACK_SW1 (so it gets installed correctly at T-13). See my post regarding that issue.
11) DirectX Redistributable. Item obsolete now, link to most recent version to be found in the update list.
12) Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT). Item obsolete now, link to most recent version to be found in the update list.
13) Windows Media Updates are missing for WMP11. The following files should be included to satisfy WU/MU when WMP11 is slipstreamed:
14) Regular Windows Updates. Please use the update list mentioned above. If you find a flaw in there, report it to tommyp. This way we have a "single point of truth", i.e. only one reference.
15) Optional Windows Updates. I'm afraid you're on your own here... There are many many optional updates - some of them mentioned by TC76 and/or tommyp, others not. I'm sure everyone has his/her own list here on what to include and what not. I've not done a Windows installation for quite a while now and no time to do so anytime soon.
We'd be glad if someone could provide a reasonable list of updates which are proposed by WU/MU for this "optional" category, so that after including them there's no update reported as missing by Microsoft (except .Net-Framework, which is not treated here). I guess this is not the case with the current list, tommyp?
16) Windows Installer 4.5 does not install correctly when slipstreaming it via hfslip 2.0 (see this post below). Currently it has to be installed after Windows setup. Perhaps (can someone verify this?) it also works when putting the executable into SVCPACK_SW1 so it gets installed at T-13.
Another possibility seems to be direct integration with a clean XP SP3 source. This requires additional fiddling and a special .reg file (so solving this directly via hfslip would be preferred of course), but if you want to try that, please see Lions post below for details.
Glad for your support and help,
Edited by Tomalak, 28 September 2009 - 02:29 PM.