ATI X1300 on 9x?

Peffse

I've searched left and right on this forum for the last ATI drivers available for 98SE, and I keep coming up with Catalyst 6.2.

Upon checking the 98 hardware compatibility list, I don't see the X1300 listed on the first page, yet someone later on in that thread claims that an x1300 can be used on 98.

I see that 6.2 officially supports an X1300 on Windows NT5, but nowhere in 9x's Catalyst 6.2 can an X1300 be found. Figuring I could modify the Catalyst files to include X1300... So I try my hand at it and botch the drivers completely.

I suppose I could use generic drivers for it, but the whole reason of me using this card is for 3D acceleration.

Is it, or is it not, unofficially supported?

Wait a min if the 6.2 drivers work with the X1300 or X1550, couldn't you just the win9x 6.2 drivers, they exist.

Nope, the 6.2 drivers for 2000/XP and 9x are not identical. X1300's are in NT5's 6.2, but absent from 9x's 6.2. As I stated before.

:whistle:VBEMP9X.exe (VBEMP9X.zip);works on almost all:ATI-NV Display Graphic cards find in MSFN Forums;* :thumbup

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the project, or maybe you just didn't care to read my post...

I suppose I could use generic drivers for it, but the whole reason of me using this card is for 3D acceleration.

This is what i just found for the 6.2

Catalyst® Release Note Version 6.2

This release note provides information on the latest posting of ATI's industry leading software suite, Catalyst®. This particular software suite updates both the ATI Display Driver (version 8.221), and the Catalyst® Control Center (version 6.2). This unified driver has been further enhanced to provide the highest level of power, performance, and reliability. The ATI Catalyst® software suite is the ultimate in performance and stability.

The Catalyst® 6.2 Release Note provides information on the following:

* Web Content

* ATI Desktop product family support

* ATI Chipset Product Support

* ATI FireMV™ 2D Drivers Support

* Operating systems supported

* New Features

* Known Issues for Catalyst® Software Suite 6.2

* ATI Customer Care

* Installing the latest Catalyst® Software Suite

* Catalyst® Crew Driver Feedback

Web Content

The Catalyst® software suite 6.2 contains the following:

* Radeon® display driver 8.221

* Multimedia Center™ 9.13

* HydraVision™ 3.25.0006

* HydraVision™ Basic Edition 3.25.9006

* Remote Wonder 3.03

* WDM Driver Install Bundle

* Southbridge/IXP Driver

* Catalyst® Control Center Version 6.2

Caution: The Catalyst® Control Center requires that Microsoft's .NET Framework Version 1.1 be installed. Without .NET Version 1.1 installed the Catalyst® Control Center will not launch properly, and the user will see an error message as a result

Caution: The Remote Wonder™ 3.02 software is intended to support Remote Wonder™ and Remote Wonder™ II products. Remote Wonder™ Plus user should continue to use the software provided with the product.

Note: The ATI WDM Driver Install Bundle contains both the ATI WDM Driver versions 8.20 and 4.07. The setup program automatically detects the ATI All-in-Wonder® or ATI VIVO™ product installed in your system and installs the appropriate ATI WDM components.

The WDM version 8.20 is installed on:

· All-in-Wonder® X1800 Series

· All-in-Wonder® X800 Series

· All-in-Wonder® X600 Series

· All-in-Wonder® 9800 Series

· All-in-Wonder® 9700 Series

· All-in-Wonder® 9600 Series

The WDM version 4.07 (6246) is installed on:

· Radeon® 9200 series or earlier All-in-Wonder® products.

· ATI VIVO™ products

Note: These release notes provide information on the Radeon® display driver only. For information on the ATI Multimedia Center™, HydraVision™, HydraVision Basic Edition, WDM, Remote Wonder™, or the Southbridge/IXP driver, please refer to their respective release notes found at: https://support.ati.com/

ATI Desktop product family support

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI desktop products:

* Radeon® X1900 series

* Radeon® X1800 series

* Radeon® X1600 series

* Radeon® X1300 series

* Radeon® X850 series

* Radeon® X800 series

* Radeon® X700 series

* Radeon® X600 series

* Radeon® X550 series

* Radeon® X300 series

* Radeon® 9X00 series

* Radeon® 8500 series

* Radeon® 7X00 series

Note: ATI All-in-Wonder® variants based on the above are also supported.

Note: All ATI Radeon® PC Graphic cards are optimized for Microsoft's Media Center Edition 2005 when coupled with a supported video capture card.

ATI Chipset Product Support

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following ATI chipset products:

* Radeon® Xpress 200 series

* Radeon® 9000 IGP

* Radeon® 9100 IGP

* Radeon® 9100 IGP Pro

* IXP 300

ATI FireMV™ 2D Drivers Support

The Catalyst® software suite 6.2 also provides 2D graphics driver support for the following FireMV™ products:

* FireMV™ 2400

* FireMV™ 2200 PCIe

* FireMV™ 2200

Operating systems supported

The latest version of the Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following Microsoft Windows platforms:

* Windows XP

* Windows XP Media Center Edition (graphics driver support only)

* Windows 2000

It does not mention win9x here, but i gather the same applys. I MIGHT go ahead and buy the X1550 and see what happens. If the card doesn't work, well i will send it or take it back.

Forgive me for asking a dumb question i guess, but with those generic drives, are you saying i could buy say the X1550 , put the card in my tower and when it ask for drivers, just install the generic drivers and it will work just like that?

I'm thinking it should work just like that.... except you get no 3D acceleration like Direct3D or OpenGL.

As for buying an X1550... I'd advice against it. Right now I can't get the X1300 running on 9x's 6.2, so I'm positive the X1550 won't work.

Unlike 6 series and 7series, X1K series and X800/X850 series are totally different, so there is no reason for ATI to develop Win9x compatible driver.

Seems strange that they would release 6.2 drivers for 9x and not add cards that the drivers premiered with.

Hey Peffse, what slots do you have, PCI OR AGP OR PCIE?

Btw, someone or people can mod alot of ati drivers to make them work with win9x, but nobody wants to do it. All they say is get rid of win9x , blah blah. Fact is, older games and some new ones, in the range of 2005-2007 actually run better on win9x, then on xp. Windows98se is very good for gaming, too bad other people can't see it. Yea is not going to run none of the newer games, but for older ones it beats XP in circles.

Edited by T.N.G.O.G.