Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Opening "My Documents" from Start/Run

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

ahecht

ahecht
  • 2 posts
On my homedesktop computer, if I go to Start/Run and type in My Documents, it opens up my "My Documents" folder. I can even type My Documents\My Pictures and it will open that folder. Autocomplete even works.

However, on my laptop and my work desktop, none of this works. If I type in My Documents it returns an error "Windows cannot find 'my'. Make sure you typed thename correctly...".

How can I get this functionality on my laptop and work computer. I love being able to open a file directly using autocomplete in the Run menu without having to type out c:\documents and settings\username\etc\etc\etc.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

submix8c

submix8c

Inconceivable!

• Patrons
  • 4,193 posts
???
Why not just create a shortcut and put it there? Besides, isn't My Documents / My Pictures already there? It's right there in the Taskbar and Start Menu setup...

Someday the tyrants will be unthroned... Jason "Jay" Chasteen; RIP, bro!

Posted Image

ahecht

ahecht
  • 2 posts

???
Why not just create a shortcut and put it there? Besides, isn't My Documents / My Pictures already there? It's right there in the Taskbar and Start Menu setup...

The issue isn't something a shortcut could solve. On my desktop, I can go to Start/Run, type My Documents\My Pictures\2008\TriptoNowhere\Pict0001.jpg or My Documents\Work\MysteryProject\Status Reports\Report1.docetc with AutoComplete filling in for me as I go, which is much faster than going to Start/Documents/My Documents and then clicking my way through folders.

The thing is, I CAN do this on my desktop and don't remember setting up anything special in order to do so, so I just want to know how to enable this on my other computers.

Edited by ahecht, 18 October 2008 - 03:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN