Lets clean up our reg......

Dude111

Old_Style

After cleaning you can shrink your registry files by entering:

scanreg /fix

in the last line of autoexec.bat.

Restart your computer and it will cleanup your registry, when finished it tells you to restart again, than you have to remove this entry or simply add the "rem" command before it, so it looks like this:

rem scanreg /fix

whats this do lol

any playing around with the registry isnt a good thing!

it may look like windows works fine but later on you may find that centein programs or windows programs need them and you wont know why its stuffs up becasue this be a long time after

I use REGSEEKER and heres my file sizes @ present

User.dat - 533k

System.dat - 3609k

Thats small. :thumbup

I have Norton System Works installed and I guess at least 2 MB of registry entries come just with this Suite.

any playing around with the registry isnt a good thing!

it may look like windows works fine but later on you may find that centein programs or windows programs need them and you wont know why its stuffs up becasue this be a long time after

Im using Eusing Free Registry Cleaner and scanreg /fix for years now. Never had any problems.

A clean small registry is the key to a fast and stable system.

Of course I do regularly backups as well.

Especially before working with registry files its recommended to make a sysbackup, so it can be restored if something is messed up.

I use REGSEEKER...

Wow, REGSEEKER is really aggressive (and fast).

I use Norton WinDoctor primarily (it typically can repair erroneous registry entries by pointing them to a relocated file as opposed to just deleting them) but REGSEEKER found a mound of things WinDoctor doesn't. Some of the entries, primarily the ones it deems obsolete, actually aren't, so there's no way I'm going to just delete all that it finds, but it does do a good job of digging into CLSIDs.

Contrary to popular belief, a bloated registry doesn't automatically hamper Win9x performance; it largely depends on which sections of the registry are bloated (particularly parts of the registry than Windows itself has to enumerate often). I have a 9MB+ system.dat file and easily achieve week+ uptimes (without even an Explorer restart) and have a boot time of under half a minute; responsiveness and multi-tasking capability are fast and solid. A sincerely large part of my LOCAL_MACHINE hive is taken up by signed file certificates (why they store such large data blobs in the registry is a mystery to me). It's my goal to trim the fat a little and get it back down under 8MB.

Queue

I realize that it hasn't been updated in years, but MRUBlaster cleans a lot of junk out of the registry, including those UserAssist mentioned in the first post. It is still very worthwhile on 98 systems.

My 98FE unit has more installed than it needs, but the system.dat is 6521KB and user.dat is 389KB. My 98SE box is cleaner with system.dat at 3573KB and user.dat at 229KB. MRU blaster did most of the cleaning. In this registry thread, another member (Eidenk) linked to a couple of excellent registry tools, available here. One of them, Regcon does an excellent job of compacting the registry files and is the other utility responsible for the small file sizes. Batch files that save and overwrite the existing system and user.dat files with the cleaned, compressed, and optimized copies during bootup keeps them that size.

Rick

My SystemCertificates section (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SystemCertificates) is 2.2 MB by itself. Do I just have a truckload of expired certificates?

I'm prefacing this next paragraph with the information that my 98SE machine has seen constant use since it was built in early 2001 and has never had Windows reinstalled (or been formatted for that matter) so quite a bit of old things are left over from computer use 5+ years ago, even though the system has undergone numerous optimizations and is in fantastic shape.

When doing some HKLM cleanup (mainly uninstalling software I'll never use again) I ran into an interesting side-effect of a common (and often maligned) program: InterActual Player (commonly installed at AutoRun of commercial DVDs) prevents a floppy drive grind that occurs the first time you open Explorer after a reboot. I discovered this when, after uninstalling all DVD playing software (I just use VLC now) the first time I opened Explorer I had a pause and floppy grind and had to wait a moment for the drive listing to populate. I had kept difference listings of registry changes made during the uninstallations and InterActual had a few interesting "API filters" listed so I figured I'd give it a shot and see if it was providing this perk; I restored the deleted files and loaded a registry backup from earlier in the day and then uninstalled (and then rebooted) one program at a time until the floppy drive grinds started happening, and confirmed that it was InterActual Player providing the benefit.

So, my question now is, is it normal for your floppy drive to do a disk check the first time Explorer is opened after a reboot, or is my computer weird for needing InterActual Player to remain installed to prevent it?

Queue

I use REGSEEKER...

Wow, REGSEEKER is really aggressive (and fast).

Yes its the BEST one i have found :)

It is NOT A BEGINNERS TOOL in any means,you can really screw things up.. (Example: Clicking the 'STARTUP ENTRIES' tab and deleting all you find there)

So, my question now is, is it normal for your floppy drive to do a disk check the first time Explorer is opened after a reboot, or is my computer weird for needing InterActual Player to remain installed to prevent it?

Queue

Hi Queue,

try this one:

Open SYSTEM PROPERTIES

Than the right TAB which is about PERFORMANCE

Click the button FILESYSTEM

Than goto FLOPPY DISK -Tab

Theres a box you can uncheck to stop Windows from searching the floppy.

Open SYSTEM PROPERTIES

Than the right TAB which is about PERFORMANCE

Click the button FILESYSTEM

Than goto FLOPPY DISK -Tab

Theres a box you can uncheck to stop Windows from searching the floppy.

Checking or unchecking that seems to have no effect. It has always been checked on this computer and I never got a disk grind (again, the issue is a grind the first time an Explorer window was opened after a reboot), though I have left it unchecked now that I know about it.

Queue

Now im looking @ this entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MS-DOS Emulation\AppCompat

I have about 50 keys under AppCompat (The only program i have on that list is "Start.exe" but it doesnt have compat entries for IT,it only has 3 things you run with it)

I reckon its ok to delete all these also?

• 11 months later...

Here are some reg keys I have deleted, is there anymore obselete keys I need to delete?

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder]

[-HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Advanced INF Setup]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\Software\Microsoft\Multimedia\Components\Informational\DRM_DRM]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{760C4B83-E211-11D2-BF3E-00805FBE84A6}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{A9FC132B-096D-460B-B7D5-1DB0FAE0C062}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{9EA69F99-F8FF-415E-8B90-35D6DFAF160E}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{8AA720BF-7468-4DA1-97DA-66D2E41B3DDA}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Last Update]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Check Drive\LastSurfaceAnalysis]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Check Drive\LastCheck]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\LastCheck]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\LastOptimize]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\checkbadapps]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\CheckBadApps400]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\AppPatches]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\AppID\{4EEDE5C9-2CAD-11D2-9AD4-080009ED1D06}]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{4EEDE5C8-2CAD-11D2-9AD4-080009ED1D06}\1.0\0\win32]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{4EEDE5D8-2CAD-11D2-9AD4-080009ED1D06}\LocalServer32]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\CLSID\{4EEDE5D6-2CAD-11D2-9AD4-080009ED1D06}\LocalServer32]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETBIOS]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RunMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FindComputerMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\PrnPortsMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StreamMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\OCXStreamMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Wordpad\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentURLList]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\Player\RecentFileList]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\LastVisitedMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wang\Imaging\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kodak\Imaging\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Netscape\Netscape Navigator\URL History]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Cover Page Editor\Recent Files List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Fax Viewer\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Dependency Walker\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Editor\Insert Hyperlink\Recently Used URLs]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Editor\Insert Image\Recently Used URLs]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\FrontPage\Explorer\FrontPage Explorer\Recent Page List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Excel\7.0\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSE\9.0\FileMRUList]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\PhotoDraw\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WebPost\SrcMRU]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Image Composer\Recent File List]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DirectShow\Dshow\RecentURLList]

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationsMRU]

;

• 3 years later...

I found this entry in the reg

MRANENIA

under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MRANENIA (Its ALL CAPS) -- Its an empty key....

I did a text search and NO FILE HAS THIS REFERENCED IN IT......

I reckon other 98 users have this key also?? (I was gonna delete it but im not sure (I suppose because its empty it has no use??))